Right down among the trees...

Old September 13th 08, 06:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
flash

Default Right down among the trees...

Video of a landing, right through the trees. Wowie!

http://www.airlinefan.com/view_video...hotoid=1107495

This site also has some other videos of interest.

Flash

Old September 14th 08, 02:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dave[_5_]

On Sep 13, 1:44*am, "Flash" wrote:
Video of a landing, right through the trees. *Wowie!

http://www.airlinefan.com/view_video...hotoid=1107495

This site also has some other videos of interest.

Flash

That's the last remaining Martin Mars - used as a waterbomber for
fighting forest fires. Could be picking up a load rather than landing.

Dave
Old September 14th 08, 05:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Dave" wrote

That's the last remaining Martin Mars - used as a waterbomber for
fighting forest fires. Could be picking up a load rather than landing.

I saw a program on the company that used them, a couple years ago, and I
swear that I remembered they had the last _TWO_.

Did something happen to one of them, or am I imagining things, (again?) g
and they have always just had one?
--
Jim in NC

Old September 14th 08, 03:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
WestCDA

That is the Hawaii Mars, one of two remaining Martin Mars aircraft operated
by Coulson Flying Tankers of Port Alberni, British Columbia. The other is
the Philipine Mars.

There were only four every built. Of the original Martin Mars aircraft, the
Marianas Mars was lost while firefighting in 1961 and the Carolina Mars by a
hurricane in 1962.

"Dave" wrote

Old September 14th 08, 03:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Harry K

On Sep 14, 7:26*am, "WestCDA" wrote:
That is the Hawaii Mars, one of two remaining Martin Mars aircraft operated
by Coulson Flying Tankers of Port Alberni, British Columbia. *The other is
the Philipine Mars.

There were only four every built. *Of the original Martin Mars aircraft, the
Marianas Mars was lost while firefighting in 1961 and the Carolina Mars by a
hurricane in 1962.

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote

That's the last remaining Martin Mars - used as a waterbomber for
fighting forest fires. Could be picking up a load rather than landing.

I saw a program on the company that used them, a couple years ago, and I
swear that I remembered they had the last _TWO_.

Did something happen to one of them, or am I imagining things, (again?)
g and they have always just had one?
--
Jim in NC- Hide quoted text -

Is the Hawaii one the one the Forest Service effectively took out of
service last year due to its age? Well, not 'took out of service'
they just wouldn't renew the contract to flight fires for them. That
one was homeported in Washington State. It was an old amphib but I
don't recall if it was a 'Mars'.

Harry K
Old September 14th 08, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Wally the Squirrel

Both planes are still working. The Hawaii Mars has been fighting fires in
the U.S. due to a relatively calm fire season in British Columbia.

http://www.redding.com/news/2008/aug...early-visitor/

"Harry K" wrote in message
On Sep 14, 7:26 am, "WestCDA" wrote:
That is the Hawaii Mars, one of two remaining Martin Mars aircraft
operated
by Coulson Flying Tankers of Port Alberni, British Columbia. The other is
the Philipine Mars.

There were only four every built. Of the original Martin Mars aircraft,
the
Marianas Mars was lost while firefighting in 1961 and the Carolina Mars by
hurricane in 1962.

"Dave" wrote

Old September 14th 08, 05:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Tri-Pacer

Both planes are still working. The Hawaii Mars has been fighting fires in
the U.S. due to a relatively calm fire season in British Columbia.

http://www.redding.com/news/2008/aug...early-visitor/

I spotted it on a recent flight from Tacoma, WA to San Diego. I noticed it
tied up at a dock on the lake. By the time it dawned on me just how big it
was, and what it had to be, I was long past it.

Cheers:

Paul
N1431A
KSDM

Old September 14th 08, 09:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"WestCDA" wrote in message
That is the Hawaii Mars, one of two remaining Martin Mars aircraft
operated by Coulson Flying Tankers of Port Alberni, British Columbia. The
other is the Philipine Mars.

There were only four every built. Of the original Martin Mars aircraft,
the Marianas Mars was lost while firefighting in 1961 and the Carolina
Mars by a hurricane in 1962.

Thanks for confirming that.

I love a water bomber, and who doesn't love a big old plane full of
character like the Martin Mars.

North Carolina bought a reconditioned CL-215 several years back to put out
fires in the Western part of the state, but occasionally it will go East or
to some other state when it is needed and the West is not active with fires.

A friend was one of the people in the Forest Service that was instrumental
in presenting the proposal to the state government, and getting it
purchased. When I said how much I liked it, and would like to make a fully
functioning large scale RC model, he got a pretty complete tec manual for
me. It includes all systems and has detail enough for good understanding,
and enough information to create a set of plans scaled to make an accurate
model, but not enough for an A&P to use as a shop manual.

I believe the Martin Mars also makes pickups with a deployable scoop from
the bottom of the hull, like the CL-215. The CL can pick up 1200 gallons in
under 11 seconds, or something like that. It slows to 100 knots, settles
on the water, and throttles up to keep that speed, then the overflow
indicates it is full and ready to power up with a new load. I had a video
of it scooping, and they are available on U-Tube, also.

Anyway, the CL is really cool, and a nimble plane. The Mars is so much
larger, that I can not imagine that it could be classified as nimble, but it
does seem to maneuver pretty well.

I hope they keep them running and working fires for a very long time.
Seeing big old radial engines hard at work does my heart good!
--
Jim in NC

Old September 15th 08, 12:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dave[_5_]

On Sep 14, 12:06*am, "Morgans" wrote:
"Dave" wrote

That's the last remaining Martin Mars - used as a waterbomber for
fighting forest fires. Could be picking up a load rather than landing.

I saw a program on the company that used them, a couple years ago, and I
swear that I remembered they had the last _TWO_.

Did something happen to one of them, or am I imagining things, (again?) *g
and they have always just had one?
--
Jim in NC

I recall reading somewhere that they were down to one - but can't cite
a reference. Perhaps one was down for repairs for awhile.

It appears that a total of six were built. See the Wikipedia report
he http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JRM_Mars

Dave
Old September 15th 08, 02:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Wally the Squirrel

Thanks for the information - I didn't know about the Marshall Mars. On the
flight down to California apparently they lost an engine on Hawaii Mars - so
a donation came from Philipine Mars. I don't know if that has been replaced
yet.