Consequences of dropped spark-plug?

Old June 26th 06, 09:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Consequences of dropped spark-plug?

Could having dropped a spark-plug (REM38E in a Lyc O-360-A2D) cause
static in the radio when on one mag with none on the other mag? What
other consequences might there be from a dropped plug? I've been
wrestling with a static problem on one mag in the radio. I got some
good advice here previously, but just remembered that I did drop a plug
on the floor and put it back. Don't know if this is when the problem
started or not. Can't remember. Thanks.

Old June 26th 06, 09:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

I dont have a lot of practical experience, but i remember my powerplant
instructor insisting that if we ever dropped a plug, they get replaced,
even if new. Then what happened? A student knocked off a whole spark
plug tray with 6 plugs on the ground. Instructor wasnt very happy about
it. Had to get 6 new plugs for a plane that never leaves the ground.
Just my experience.
Jesse M.

Old June 26th 06, 10:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Kensandyeggo wrote:
Could having dropped a spark-plug (REM38E in a Lyc O-360-A2D) cause
static in the radio when on one mag with none on the other mag? What
other consequences might there be from a dropped plug? I've been
wrestling with a static problem on one mag in the radio. I got some
good advice here previously, but just remembered that I did drop a plug
on the floor and put it back. Don't know if this is when the problem
started or not. Can't remember. Thanks.

Yes, a hairline crack in the ceramic can cause the static problem you
are experiencing. It can also impact performance or cause the plug to
fail prematurely.

Static on the radio can be caused by failing insulation in the plug
wires
too.

--

FF

Old June 27th 06, 02:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On 26 Jun 2006 17:44:49 -0700, "Kensandyeggo"

Kensandyeggo wrote:
Could having dropped a spark-plug (REM38E in a Lyc O-360-A2D) cause
static in the radio when on one mag with none on the other mag? What
other consequences might there be from a dropped plug? I've been
wrestling with a static problem on one mag in the radio. I got some
good advice here previously, but just remembered that I did drop a plug
on the floor and put it back. Don't know if this is when the problem
started or not. Can't remember. Thanks.

Yes, a hairline crack in the ceramic can cause the static problem you
are experiencing. It can also impact performance or cause the plug to
fail prematurely.

Static on the radio can be caused by failing insulation in the plug
wires
too.

--

FF

easiest way to check is move the suspect plug to the other mag. If the
problem follows the plug, you've proved it.
I ordered a new plug. I figure this will be the easiest thing to try.

Ken