Boeing Awarded Contract For Next-Generation Harpoon Block III Missile

Old February 11th 08, 12:50 AM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
Dean A. Markley

Default Boeing Awarded Contract For Next-Generation Harpoon Block IIIMissile

Richard Casady wrote:
On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 08:12:01 -0500, "Dean A. Markley"
wrote:

And it would not really have a curved end
like a crowbar. I hope.

Have no fear, there is no curve in a crowbar. Not to be confused with
a wrecking bar, which is obviously what you have in mind.

Casady

The local dialect here calls the curved ones crowbars. Ask any Amish
builder.

Dean
Old February 12th 08, 06:24 AM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
Fred J. McCall

Clark wrote:

:On 09 Feb 2008, you wrote in rec.aviation.military.naval:
:
: In message , Clark
: writes
:Show me a VLS system other than submarine that isn't used with Aegis.
:
: GWS26 Sea Wolf. PAAMS (Sylver launchers plus ASTER missiles). SA-N-6 and
: SA-N-9, for the Russians. At least one Chinese system whose designation
: I can't recall offhand. Barak, for Israeli kit. Vertically Launched Sea
: Sparrow.
:
: There may be more but that's a starting point. Plenty of users like
: vertical launch without ever getting near AEGIS.
:
:
:In other words, for the point of this exchange there aren't any. We were
:typing about Standard missiles.
:

No, we weren't. You insisted that "AEGIS" was identically "VLS".

You're wrong. It's not.

That's not even true for Standard-capable launchers (Mk 41 VLS), since
the new LPDs will have Mk 41 launchers and no AEGIS system. Some of
the Spruance class (all those currently left in commission) have Mk 41
VLS and no AEGIS system.

Now, would you like to wriggle some more, or shall you just admit you
didn't know what you were talking about and move on?

-- Thomas Jefferson
Old February 12th 08, 06:25 AM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
Fred J. McCall

Clark wrote:

:Fred J. McCall wrote in
:
:
: Clark wrote:
:[snip Freddies cries for help]
::
::I suggest you pull your head out of your rectal orfice. Of course you
::won't do that 'cause you like the smell.
::
:
: You know, you aren't even very good at this. Here, let me help you
: out.
:
: It sounds like English; it even looks like English, but I can't
: understand a word you're blabbering. How about putting that into
: proper syntax, form, and grammar so that I can at least understand
: what you are saying before I dismiss it?
:
:There it is in a nutshell folks. Freddy is sooo stupid he can't even
:understand being told why he likes keeping his head up his ass. Poor sot!
:
:Nothing more needs said.
:

Yes, Clarkie, when you're wrong and stupid you should indeed just try
to declare victory and run away.

You still don't know what you're talking about on pretty much any
topic one would care to name.

-- Thomas Jefferson
Old February 12th 08, 09:46 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
Paul J. Adam

In message , Clark
writes
On 09 Feb 2008, you wrote in rec.aviation.military.naval:
In message , Clark
writes
Show me a VLS system other than submarine that isn't used with Aegis.

GWS26 Sea Wolf. PAAMS (Sylver launchers plus ASTER missiles). SA-N-6 and
SA-N-9, for the Russians. At least one Chinese system whose designation
I can't recall offhand. Barak, for Israeli kit. Vertically Launched Sea
Sparrow.

There may be more but that's a starting point. Plenty of users like
vertical launch without ever getting near AEGIS.

In other words, for the point of this exchange there aren't any. We were
typing about Standard missiles.

No, you weren't - unless you can show me a submarine firing Standards...

Even letting that pass, turn your eyes to the Canadian Tribal-class
destroyers, and their Mark 41 VLS systems, the Standard missiles
therein, and their remarkable lack of AEGIS. Or the Australian Adelaides
after their VLS modification, ditto. Or the German Sachsens....

Plenty of VLS systems launching Standard that still have no AEGIS
involved on the ship.

--
The nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its
warriors, will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done

pauldotjdotadam[at]googlemail{dot}.com
Old February 14th 08, 05:09 AM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
Fred J. McCall

Clark wrote:

:"Paul J. Adam" wrote in
:
:
: In message , Clark
: writes
[...]
:What? All I have mentioned is Standards. I specifically excluded submarine
:VLS. Are you having a bad day?
:

And why would you do that if you were only referring to Standards,
which any fool knows are not fired from submarines?

:
:
: Even letting that pass, turn your eyes to the Canadian Tribal-class
: destroyers, and their Mark 41 VLS systems, the Standard missiles
: therein, and their remarkable lack of AEGIS. Or the Australian Adelaides
: after their VLS modification, ditto. Or the German Sachsens....
:
: Plenty of VLS systems launching Standard that still have no AEGIS
: involved on the ship.
:
:
:And none of them US. Fine. There are other non-US Standard VLS systems
:without Aegis. Are there are any US VLS systems without Aegis?
:

Yes. I already told you that.

-- Thomas Jefferson
Old February 14th 08, 05:14 AM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
Fred J. McCall

Clark wrote:

:Fred J. McCall wrote in
:
:
: Clark wrote:
:
[...]
:Read it again dimwit. I noted that Aegis and vls went together and they do.
:

Read it again, dumbass. You insisted that "AEGIS" and "VLS" meant the
same thing. They don't. They also don't always go together. There
have been AEGIS ships without VLS and VLS ships without AEGIS.

:
:
: You're wrong. It's not.
:
:Show me an Aegis that doesn't have VLS.
:
: That's not even true for Standard-capable launchers (Mk 41 VLS), since
: the new LPDs will have Mk 41 launchers and no AEGIS system. Some of
: the Spruance class (all those currently left in commission) have Mk 41
: VLS and no AEGIS system.
:
:There are no Sprucans left in commission. Last one was decommissioned in
:05.
:

So what? You claimed there was no VLS without AEGIS. You then
revised to there being no VLS firing Standard without AEGIS (and vice
versa).

You're still wrong. There have been AEGIS ships without VLS and there
have been VLS ships, firing both Standard and other missiles, without
AEGIS.

:
: Now, would you like to wriggle some more, or shall you just admit you
: didn't know what you were talking about and move on?
:
:Get real. You are the arrogant clueless one here. You really need a reality
:check...and some parental guidance.
:

Both my parents are dead, you stupid ****e. My mother just died a few
weeks ago.

And you're not only ignorant and stupid, you're apparently also
ill-mannered and insensitive.

Sort of a Renaissance ****head.

-- Thomas Jefferson
Old February 14th 08, 08:05 AM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
Dave[_6_]

Clark wrote in news:Xns9A43DA50D778Cch2uswestnet@
64.209.0.91:
Are there are any US VLS systems without Aegis?

Yes (maybe).

From - http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...systems/mk-41-
vls.htm:

"The US Navy currently deploys MK 41 VLS - on AEGIS-equipped Ticonderoga-
class cruisers and Spruance- and Arleigh Burke-class destroyers - and plans
to use it on next generation of surface ships, the LDP17, DD-21 and CG-21."

LPD-17 is commissioned and operating.

From: http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...-17-design.htm

Paraphrased - The class is designed for installation of the Mk-41 VLs, but
none were installed, due to budget restructuring. There is capacity to back
fit VLS in all 12 ships in the class.

**********
Regarding AEGIS w/o VLS, I'd say there are none.

From various Wikipedia articles:

"The Aegis Weapons System comprises the SPY-1 Radar, MK 99 Fire Control
System and ORTS, MK 41 VLS, the Command and Decision Suite, and SM-3
Standard Missile systems. Shipboard torpedo and naval gunnery systems are
also integrated."

"Originally, the first five ships of the United States' Aegis equipped
Ticonderoga class cruisers were outfitted with Mark-26 twin-arm missile
launchers; however, the ships with this system have been decommissioned and
are no longer in service."

"The current generation of American-produced VLS is known as the Mk 41
Guided Missile Launch System or Vertical Launch System. It is capable of
carrying an extremely wide range of missiles, including the Evolved Sea
Sparrow Missile (ESSM) naval self defense, short range SAM, SM-2 medium
range/long range SAM/SSM, SM-3 anti-ballistic missile, VLA (RUM-139
vertical launch ASROC) anti-submarine missile with Mk-46 torpedo warhead,
an advanced version of the earlier ASROC (RUR-5), and the Tomahawk cruise
missile (long range strike)."

"The RIM-67 SM-2ER was the Navy's replacement for RIM-2 Terrier missile.
Ships carrying the SM-2 ER were often still called Terrier ships even after
the SM-2ER. Because the RIM-67's first stage booster was very long, it
could not fit into the Mk 41 VLS system, and thus could not be used with
the Aegis weapon system. The SM-2 Block IV with the Mk 72 booster was
developed to compensate for the lack of a long range SM for the
Ticonderoga-class of Aegis cruisers."

And more he http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/weaps/aegis.htm

**********
Now that we have solved, will you little children stop whining and grow up?
Old February 14th 08, 02:35 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
Fred J. McCall

Clark wrote:

:Fred J. McCall wrote in
:
:
: Clark wrote:
:
::"Paul J. Adam" wrote in
:
::
:: In message , Clark
:: writes
[...]
:Because I know that you are a fool.

And yet you're the one saying all the egregiously stupid things.

::
::
:: Even letting that pass, turn your eyes to the Canadian Tribal-class
:: destroyers, and their Mark 41 VLS systems, the Standard missiles
:: therein, and their remarkable lack of AEGIS. Or the Australian Adelaides
:: after their VLS modification, ditto. Or the German Sachsens....
::
:: Plenty of VLS systems launching Standard that still have no AEGIS
:: involved on the ship.
::
::
::And none of them US. Fine. There are other non-US Standard VLS systems
::without Aegis. Are there are any US VLS systems without Aegis?
::
:
: Yes. I already told you that.
:
:
:No you didn't. You went off on tangents.

Yes, I did. Your inability to read is YOUR problem.

And your problem is obvious...

-- Thomas Jefferson
Old February 14th 08, 02:52 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
Fred J. McCall

Clark wrote:

:Fred J. McCall wrote in
:
:
: Clark wrote:
:
::Fred J. McCall wrote in
:
::
:: Clark wrote:
::
:::On 09 Feb 2008, you wrote in rec.aviation.military.naval:
:::
[...]
:And you tried to use Sprucans as an example of VLS w/o Aegis. So sorry that
:they don't exist.
:

Except they do exist. You're just now trying to further revise your
original remark to achieve some form of correctness. So far:

1) You claimed there was no VLS without AEGIS and vice versa, saying
that saying AEGIS when you meant VLS was the same statement.

2) You then revised to there being no VLS capable of firing Standard
without AEGIS (and vice versa).

3) You then revised to there being no *US* VLS capable of firing
Standard without AEGIS (and vice versa).

4) You're now at there being no *US* VLS on ships currently in
commission capable of firing Standard without AEGIS (and vice versa).

And you're still wrong.

:
:
: You're still wrong. There have been AEGIS ships without VLS and there
: have been VLS ships, firing both Standard and other missiles, without
: AEGIS.
:
:That wasn't what I stated. Go back and read it again. Get someone to help
:you understand.
:

That was precisely what you stated and your ill-mannered behaviour at
this point doesn't erase it. Let us once again enumerate the
evolution of your claim:

[...]

:And I'm insensitive because of....what? Now, if you had previously
ublished that your mother had passed on and it was known to all then
erhaps I would be insensitive.
:

Uh, I don't know how to break it to you, dumbass, but that's precisely
what happened. Ask around.

As we've seen from your other expositions in ignorance, YOU not
knowing is not the same as "not known to all".

:
:Your bull**** on the other hand is highly
:suspect because you've already made other *documented* false statements
see Sprucans).
:

And just what did I say that was false? Have you now moved to "the
Spruance class never existed" in your litany of idiocy?

:
:In other words, your mother didn't just pass and you are
:trying for the sympathy play. Good luck with that.
:

Why would anyone want 'sympathy' from a gormless twit like you? And
do you seriously think anyone would bother to tell such a lie just to
'win' a point? Unlikely. After all, most people aren't like you.

:
:
: Sort of a Renaissance ****head.
:
:Well, the ****head part describes you perfectly. Try real hard to deal with
:the world as it exists rather than the one you want to spin. Good luck!
:

Yeah. Now that's you've achieved maximal stupidity, you should
probably run away.

-- Thomas Jefferson
Old February 14th 08, 06:37 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
Paul J. Adam

In message , Clark
writes
"Paul J. Adam" wrote in
Plenty of VLS systems launching Standard that still have no AEGIS
involved on the ship.

And none of them US. Fine. There are other non-US Standard VLS systems
without Aegis. Are there are any US VLS systems without Aegis?

Not since the Spruances retired, that I can think of offhand.