transponder repair

Old May 29th 04, 03:57 PM

Default transponder repair

I have a Narco AT50A transponder that is not working right. Since I
don't fly IFR, I'm thinking I'll just get it repaired and not upgrade
to an expensive unit with a more modern design (such as Garmin GTX
327). It seems that if the repair is cheaper than buying a used
yellow-tagged newer model, I'm coming out ahead. But I'm wondering
about the 30- or 40-year-old cavity tube oscillator. If faulty, would
it be repaired, would it be replaced with a working used one, or would
it be replaced with a new one? Should I be considering other options?
Old May 29th 04, 08:27 PM
Daniel L. Lieberman

Don't you ever fly in Class B?

Old May 29th 04, 11:41 PM

On Sat, 29 May 2004 19:27:20 GMT, "Daniel L. Lieberman"
wrote:

Don't you ever fly in Class B?

I've flown in Class B with when my Narco Mode C transponder was
working. Probably will again. Are you suggesting I need more than
that?
Old May 30th 04, 04:28 PM
Daniel L. Lieberman

I am suggesting that with the new reductions in spacing as time passes more
is likely to be required. If I were to speculate it is possible "for
national security" that the requirements for transponders may be expanded.
Boottom line is I hate to spend money fixing something and then have to
replace it.

Old May 30th 04, 06:28 PM

On Sun, 30 May 2004 15:28:10 GMT, "Daniel L. Lieberman"
wrote:

I am suggesting that with the new reductions in spacing as time passes more
is likely to be required. If I were to speculate it is possible "for
national security" that the requirements for transponders may be expanded.
Boottom line is I hate to spend money fixing something and then have to
replace it.

What kind of transponder would meet the possible requirements?
Old May 30th 04, 10:47 PM
Daniel L. Lieberman

I haven't researched it since I rent but I believe there is a new Mode S. I
would check into it and see if it made any sense.

http://www.rockwellcollins.com/ecat/...html?smenu=111

talks about it. It may be way out of reach but if it isn't too expensive it
may have some value because of the TCAS features,

KEY OWNER/USER BENEFITS
a.. Replies to ATC radar on Modes A, C and S with altitude and ident
b.. Antenna diversity as required for TCAS II (TDR-94D)
c.. Data link capability for TCAS II crosslink and ATC data communications
d.. ICAO Level 3A for receiving extended length messages
e.. Capable of GPS/FMS position reports ADS-B
f.. Provisions for ICAO FANS
g.. High reliability with crystal controlled solid-state transmitter
h.. Flexible air data interfaces for compatibility with all aircraft
i.. Diagnostics for easy fault isolation and shop maintenance
j.. Provides new Mode S Elementary and Enhanced Surveillance functionality