Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators

Old February 28th 05, 06:12 AM
private

Default Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators

I downloaded the some good books from http://www.e-publishing.af.mil

thanks for the links C J C

Is there an online source for "Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators"?

Blue skies to all.

Old February 28th 05, 03:10 PM
Dudley Henriques

"private" wrote in message
I downloaded the some good books from http://www.e-publishing.af.mil

thanks for the links C J C

Is there an online source for "Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators"?

Blue skies to all.

One of the best manuals ever written on the subject matter. I don't know if
there is an online source for it, but just be aware, it's a 416 page book!
:-))

Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
Commercial Pilot; CFI; Retired
dhenriquestrashatearthlinktrashdotnet
(take out the trash :-)

Old February 28th 05, 07:01 PM
Blanche

You're probably looking for the no-cost option, but let me offer another
option.

Disclaimer -- I'm in no way connected with the company but I've been
using the products for years. Most useful when I'm not near a high-speed
internet connection.

Summit Aviation has a CD product that comes out every 28 days (sound
familiar?) Most of the stuff isn't updated but items such as ADs and
TCDS, and the AIM are included.

Other things on the CD:

14 CFR -- what we know and love as the FARs.
Bunch of Handbooks - the 8083s (weight & balance, instrument
handbook, student pilot guide, etc) and the 8261 - Instrument
Procedures.
Bunch of Advisory Circulars (ACs)
Pilot/Controller Glossary
All the PTS (the 8081 series)
All the TSOs
Knowledge test questions
Legal interpretations
And....
Aerodynamics for naval aviators

And more stuff.

True, most of this stuff is available on the FAAs website. But if
you were going to buy the various books it would cost far more than
the cost of one CD. I update just once a year or so. It's great
when I'm traveling. I get to take all the books with me (and the
laptop only weighs 4 pounds). Best part - EVERTHING is searchable!

As I said, I'm in no way connected (other than by the interstate.
They're on the far west side of the Denver area and I'm on the far
east side...).

Just freaks the FAA and others when I'm in meetings and people are
trying to remember the citation or exact wording and I pop it up
in seconds....

(*evil laugh*)

summitaviation.com

Old February 28th 05, 07:48 PM
Dudley Henriques

Hi Blanche;
Not sure who your post was meant for, but it appeared under mine. I'm
assuming you meant the OP here since I've had my copy of this book since
1960 :-))
Dudley

Old February 28th 05, 08:08 PM
Blanche

Dudley Henriques wrote:
Hi Blanche;
Not sure who your post was meant for, but it appeared under mine. I'm
assuming you meant the OP here since I've had my copy of this book since
1960 :-))
Dudley

Yup. the OP.

I've had my copy since 1997. But then, I started flying later in life.

Old February 28th 05, 09:35 PM
Dudley Henriques

"Blanche" wrote in message
Dudley Henriques wrote:
Hi Blanche;
Not sure who your post was meant for, but it appeared under mine. I'm
assuming you meant the OP here since I've had my copy of this book since
1960 :-))
Dudley

Yup. the OP.

I've had my copy since 1997. But then, I started flying later in life.

It's funny how the mind works sometimes.
Here I sit after all these years. and reading this. Just for a second I had
a flashback to the day I soloed.
I was seventeen. The airplane was a North American AT6 owned by a friend of
my father. For just a
second I could see it all in my mind's eye......the whole scene....I could
feel the heat from the sun and the
wind on my face as I taxied through that last left turn to face down the old
grass runway at an airport that is now a shopping center......the sounds of
the engine......even the smell of the old gray paint chipped
cockpit. Funny.
Thanks :-)))
Dudley

Old February 28th 05, 11:39 PM
private

"Blanche" wrote in message
You're probably looking for the no-cost option, but let me offer another
option.

summitaviation.com

Thanks for the pointer. The CD has a LOT of information. There is a list
at http://www.summitaviation.com/publications.html I think I have most of
these publicactions, but if nothing else it is a good list of important
document numbers and descriptions. I suspect most of them are available at
http://av-info.faa.gov/ or
http://www.e-publishing.af.mil/maste...er_catalog.asp

Considering the extensive high quality government aviation publications
available on the net I have been hoping to find Aerodynamics for Naval
Aviators, but have failed on the USAF or FAA sites or using a Google search
on the title or government publishing number NAVWEPS 00-80T-80. The book
was issued by the USNaval operations training division in 1965 and I hoped
it was on a Navy publications site but I have no URL If the author has
retained some copywrite I would be surprised because of its inclusion on the
summitaviation CD. I have also not found a URL for the survival for downed
airman training manuals.

I may have to troll the bookstores. It appears to be a common book
available quite inexpensively but shipping and taxes and customs add up
quickly. The CD is an option or someone may have a file or pdf. (address
available)

Blue skies to all

Old March 1st 05, 12:14 AM
private

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
news

"private" wrote in message
I downloaded the some good books from http://www.e-publishing.af.mil

thanks for the links C J C

Is there an online source for "Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators"?

Blue skies to all.

One of the best manuals ever written on the subject matter. I don't know

if
there is an online source for it, but just be aware, it's a 416 page book!
:-))

Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
Commercial Pilot; CFI; Retired
dhenriquestrashatearthlinktrashdotnet
(take out the trash :-)

Everyone here seem to hold this book in high regard, I am looking forward to
reading it..

I have been reading Mechanics of Flight by A C Kermode, it is challenging
but interesting study. He claims AoA is American usage and speaks of angle
of incidence and riggers angle of incidence. I had previously noted that
Wilbur spoke of aoa as angle of incidence, I suspected changed usage but it
seems to still be current in England?

Blue skies to all

Old March 1st 05, 12:15 AM
private

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
link.net...

[...]

Glad to have caused the recall of a happy memory.

May the skies in your mind always be blue.

Old March 1st 05, 12:54 AM
Dudley Henriques

We define angle of attack as the angle formed between the leading edge of
the wing and the relative wind.
The angle of incidence would be the angular difference between the
longitidunal axis of the airplane and a line drawn through the leading and
trailing edges of the wing.(Chord Line)