Glider destroyed by lightning

Old January 31st 09, 01:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Cooperman

Default Glider destroyed by lightning

Hi my name is Graeme Cooper, 10 years ago I was in the front seat of
the ASK21 glider that was destroyed by lightning in 1999, the flight
was a birthday present to celebrate my 30th.

Please visit my justgiving webpage to read my story and see what I am
planning now for my 40th

http://www.justgiving.com/big40reachfortheskiesagain

Please help me to raise awareness and funds for the Parkinson's
Disease
Society by sending the above address to anyone who you think may be
interested to see it.

If you would like to make a donation that would be great too!, please
include your interest in flying i.e. BA Passenger plane pilot, Royal
Navy helicopter pilot, Heron gliding club member etc next to your name
so that I and others can see it. It would be good to see support from
abroad!!. I am contacting all the British gliding clubs for support.

Every penny counts.
Many thanks
--
Graeme

P.s. I have included a link to my scrapbook below of the days events
of 1999 that you may find interesting:-

http://sites.google.com/site/thebig4...attredirects=0

Old January 31st 09, 02:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Darkwing

"Cooperman" wrote in message
[...]

I'm confused, is this SPAM?

Old January 31st 09, 02:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Cooperman

I'm confused, is this SPAM?- Hide quoted text -

Dear Darkwing

Not spam just something I thought you may be interested in. I see
that there has been descussion about my accident in many of the
threads to do with lightning.

Regards Graeme
Old January 31st 09, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell[_2_]

"Cooperman" wrote in message

I'm confused, is this SPAM?- Hide quoted text -

Dear Darkwing

Not spam just something I thought you may be interested in. I see
that there has been descussion about my accident in many of the
threads to do with lightning.

Regards Graeme

Seems hard to tell for me as well Graeme. Perhaps you should do more to
certify donations are for a no-profit charity.

Old January 31st 09, 04:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jan 31, 8:00*am, "Maxwell" #$$9#@%%%.^^^ wrote:

Seems hard to tell for me as well Graeme. Perhaps you should do more to
certify donations are for a no-profit charity.

Its not really chartity. You give him money, he takes 5% as a service
fee. He then donate the money (along with a gov't grant he knows how
to match it with). So, yes a charity gets money but he's for-profit
himself...

-Robert
Old January 31st 09, 04:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Monk

On Jan 31, 11:15*am, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:
On Jan 31, 8:00*am, "Maxwell" #$$9#@%%%.^^^ wrote:

Seems hard to tell for me as well Graeme. Perhaps you should do more to
certify donations are for a no-profit charity.

Its not really chartity. You give him money, he takes 5% as a service
fee. He then donate the money (along with a gov't grant he knows how
to match it with). So, yes a charity gets money but he's for-profit
himself...

-Robert

5%? He's selling himself short if that's the case. Most non-profit
organizations spend much much more than that on administration. Very
small portion actually get's to the recipient. None the less my
family and I have volunteered for for several fundraisers and we will
continue to do so.
Old January 31st 09, 05:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Cooperman

On Jan 31, 4:15*pm, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:
On Jan 31, 8:00*am, "Maxwell" #$$9#@%%%.^^^ wrote:

Seems hard to tell for me as well Graeme. Perhaps you should do more to
certify donations are for a no-profit charity.

Its not really chartity. You give him money, he takes 5% as a service
fee. He then donate the money (along with a gov't grant he knows how
to match it with). So, yes a charity gets money but he's for-profit
himself...

-Robert

I WANT TO MAKE IT CLEAR, NO WAY I AM MAKING ANY MONEY ON THIS.

You don’t give me any money.
All money that is donated online goes to Justgiving who provide the
service.

My story is true, if you type the three words:- glider lightning
parachute into Google you will see a BBC News web page confirming the
story http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/558095.stm.

You will also see the accident report on the Google page
http://www.pas.rochester.edu/~cline/...t%20report.htm

Failing that you could always contact the London Gliding Club Direct.
It is from here that I flew when the accident happened. It is also
where I am returning for the flight. Contact details can be found on
their web page:- http://www.londonglidingclub.co.uk/

Justgiving is company used by many charities in England details of
which can been seen on their web page http://www.justgiving.com/

On the justgiving home page you can search for friends, type my name
'Graeme Cooper' and you will find my fundraising page:-
http://www.justgiving.com/big40reachfortheskiesagain

6,464,618 people have helped raise £367,182,396 for 6,013 charities
using Justgiving (according to their home page.)

This page explains the 5% fee that Justgiving (NOT ME!!!) gets. For
those UK citizens the Govenment give extra money in Gift Aid so the
Charity gets more than the £1 donated even after the fees have been
deducted, please see:- http://www.justgiving.com/statements/about_us/fee.asp

It is true that donations from outside the UK will not qualify for the
Governments Gift Aid. So the charity will receive less than the £1 you
donate as Justgivin (NOT ME) will take 5% + credit card fee. If that
worries you and if you still wish to support me and my chosen charity
then donations can be left on the Parkinson's Disease Society's home
page although I will be unaware of it.

As for the Parkinson’s Disease Society, details of this charity can
been seen on their web page:- http://www.parkinsons.org.uk/

Now hopefully this has cleared this up and find my story of interest.

Messages of support would be nicer!

Regards
Graeme
Old January 31st 09, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.disasters.aviation,alt.usenet.kooks
Bertie the Bunyip[_28_]

Cooperman wrote in
:

Hi my name is Graeme Cooper, 10 years ago I was in the front seat of
the ASK21 glider that was destroyed by lightning in 1999, the flight
was a birthday present to celebrate my 30th.

Please visit my justgiving webpage to read my story and see what I am
planning now for my 40th

A tsunami in a mirror dinghy?

Bertie
Old February 1st 09, 03:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Joe Feise

Cooperman wrote on 01/31/09 09:41:

Messages of support would be nicer!

You seem to be new to this Internet thingy...
People get tons of spam nowadays, and on the Internet, nobody knows you are a dog...
And asking for donations in a post to a newsgroup is considered a bit shady
nowadays, in particular if you are not a regular.
One thing in particular stands out to me: you are posting through Google Groups.
That's unfortunately a standard spammer route. Your DSL provider (a whois on
your IP address shows Opal Telecom DSL in the UK) should have newsgroup access.

-Joe
Old February 1st 09, 09:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Cooperman

On Feb 1, 3:19*am, Joe Feise wrote:
Cooperman wrote on 01/31/09 09:41:

Messages of support would be nicer!

You seem to be new to this Internet thingy...
People get tons of spam nowadays, and on the Internet, nobody knows you are a dog...
And asking for donations in a post to a newsgroup is considered a bit shady
nowadays, in particular if you are not a regular.
One thing in particular stands out to me: you are posting through Google Groups.
That's unfortunately a standard spammer route. Your DSL provider (a whois on
your IP address shows Opal Telecom DSL in the UK) should have newsgroup access.

-Joe

Hi all,

Yes I am new to this forum thingy. I found this group on Google group
search that’s why I registered with Google and posted my message
there.

I realise that you may get a lot of spam etc...

I do not wish to appear shady so I am asking that donations do NOT be
sent.

Instead I hope you find my story interesting and comment on that.

I thank those who have donated including my friends, family, gliding
clubs/members from England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales as well as
donations received from the USA and recently from Canada. Your
messages of support have been welcome. These can all be viewed at the
bottom of my fundraising page.
Together you have helped raise £466.79 (inc Gift Aid) = Approximately
£440 directly to the charity after justgiving have taken there admin
fee.

I would rather discussions were focused on the events that day in
1999, the findings of the air accident investigation report, the
strength of the lightning that is now known to be out there and my
return to the sky in a glider for an aerobatic flight rather than my
motives or character.

It was found that the lightning that stuck the glider that I flew in
was up to six times the strength that passenger planes are built to
withstand with minimal damage, SIX TIMES!
Be safe up there!

Regards
Graeme

Glider destroyed by lightning [email protected] Soaring 9 May 16th 09 04:59 PM
B-17 destroyed on Hickham Field Dave Kearton Aviation Photos 0 November 8th 06 11:32 PM
Destroyed Aircraft john smith Piloting 3 October 30th 05 01:33 AM
Reconstructing lost/destroyed DD-214s Otis Willie Naval Aviation 0 February 16th 04 02:46 AM
Reconstructing lost/destroyed DD-214s Otis Willie Naval Aviation 0 December 25th 03 05:37 AM