Recording your flight time

Old December 22nd 03, 12:32 AM
Hankal

I use my Westbend clock which I fastened with velcro. I start when departing
and stop after I have cleared the active.
I may be shorting my logbook, but who cares as long as I do not inflate my
time.
Of course I can always substantiate my time since I log every fuel purchase
with tach and hobs time.
Hank
Old December 22nd 03, 12:41 AM
Jeff

I log what ever my transponder says I flew.

Jay Honeck wrote:

With built-in flight timers becoming the norm in virtually all new avionics
(heck, even the new transponder I'm getting has one), just wondering if
folks are migrating away from using hobbs/tach time to record their flight
time?

And if you *are* using the flight timer, have you stopped using the old
archaic "1.3 hours" method of recording flight time? Anyone using actual
hours and minutes in their logbook instead?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 22nd 03, 12:44 AM
Bob Fry

"Tony Cox" writes:

"Teacherjh" wrote in message

It's been an hour and eighteen minutes. Do you log it as 1.3? Do you log

it
if you actually managed to get three feet in the air for twelve seconds

before
aborting the takeoff and landing again on the mile of runway remaining?

If your intent was flight (even if you didn't get off
the ground), then my understanding is that you can
indeed log it.

And why not? In the hypothetical (it *is*, right?), he got the engine
started, talked to Departure, Ground, and Tower, dodged big iron and
got to the starting point of the runway at a huge, confusing
airport...that's lots more work than I do to go around the patch at my
non-towered field.
Old December 22nd 03, 12:48 AM
tony roberts

With built-in flight timers becoming the norm . . .

Here in Canada we are required to record flight time and air time.

Flight time for any leg is taken straight from the Hobbs.
Air time is Hobbs minus .2 hour per leg (for runup/taxi etc.)

That is the way that I record all of my flights.

Air time is the time that we record as TBO.
Therefore the more legs we squeeze in, the more .2 hour deductions and
the longer to TBO.

I know one pilot who doesn't have a Hobbs, and who only records about
half his actual time. Having witnessed this I personally would prefer,
in the interests of safety, to see Hobbs time as a legal requirement -
rather like an oddometer reading is required for a used car sale.
It scares me to think that there may be aircraft out there with over
2000 TBO which are being sold as less than 1000 TBO.

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL
Old December 22nd 03, 12:52 AM
Jay Honeck

The hobbs seems like a perfect, simple
device.

True, except most aircraft (outside of trainers) don't seem to have them.
Mine doesn't, and never did.

That, and you're stuck using the ridiculous (to me) "1.4 hours" nonsense.
Why don't we just use "1:24", like the rest of the civilized world?

When I get this new transponder, I'm going to try using its internal "flight
time" clock. If it's too much of a pain, I'll go back to the tach time x
1.3.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 22nd 03, 01:52 AM
Tony Cox

"Bob Fry" wrote in message
"Tony Cox" writes:

"Teacherjh" wrote in message

It's been an hour and eighteen minutes. Do you log it as 1.3? Do you

log
it
if you actually managed to get three feet in the air for twelve

seconds
before
aborting the takeoff and landing again on the mile of runway

remaining?

If your intent was flight (even if you didn't get off
the ground), then my understanding is that you can
indeed log it.

And why not? In the hypothetical (it *is*, right?), he got the engine
started, talked to Departure, Ground, and Tower, dodged big iron and
got to the starting point of the runway at a huge, confusing
airport...that's lots more work than I do to go around the patch at my
non-towered field.

Yes, but if his intention was just to do a fast taxi, he'd
do all the same talking, dodging & ground navigating but
not be able to log it. Odd, don't you think?

Old December 22nd 03, 02:02 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"A Lieberman" wrote in message
Tom Sixkiller wrote:

At what point can one start recording _Flight Time_? Engine start? First
master switch?

I could'nt find anything in the FARS for "when" to start counting, but I
am under the impression from my experiences, that anytime the prop is
turning is the time you count.

That's about what I've always used; from engine startup.

Old December 22nd 03, 02:07 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote in message
On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 11:00:59 -0800, A Lieberman
wrote:

I could'nt find anything in the FARS for "when" to start counting, but I
am under the impression from my experiences, that anytime the prop is
turning is the time you count.

You didn't look at the beginning:

14CFR Part 1

Sec 1.1

Flight time means:
(1) Pilot time that commences when an aircraft moves under its own
power for the purpose of flight and ends when the aircraft comes to rest
after landing; or
(2) For a glider without self-launch capability, pilot time that
commences when the glider is towed for the purpose of flight and ends when
the glider comes to rest after landing.

For most people with a Hobbs, that could be an extra half hour, from master
switch "ON", to shutdown.

I wonder: does ANYONE does it that way?

Old December 22nd 03, 02:10 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...

"Tom Sixkiller" wrote in message

At what point can one start recording _Flight Time_? Engine start? First
master switch?

Since we are talking pilot time (we have bounced back and forth here), the
rules say: elapsed time form the time the aircraft first moves under its
own power for the purpose of flight until the time it comes to rest at
its . Since my plane rears forward a little bit at engine
start, and I don't tend to run it for very long when I finally get fully
parked, the ENGINE RUNNING (hobbs) time is usually pretty danged
close to the definition.

I remember, several years back, a lot of pilots would do their engine start,
and THEN do their ATIS, CD, Ground...

Too expensive to do it that way except for the corporate jocks, big iron...

Old December 22nd 03, 02:12 AM
john smith

Jay Honeck wrote:

I log the following:
Hobbs start/Hobbs stop
Tach start/Tach stop
Clock start/Clock stop
Wheels off/Wheels on

Why do you log four different times? And *where* do you log them?

I rent, so the airplanes have different setups.
The Champ has no electrical system, so I have Tach time. Depending on
how "fast" (that's a relative term) or slow I fly, the clock time may be
greater or less than the tach.
On other aircraft with electrical systems, a Hobbs and a Tach, the time
will varyfor several reasons.
For example, the Hobbs on the Cherokee Six is tied to the oil pressure
switch. Until the Tachometer gets above 1600 RPM, the Hobbs doesn't
move.
By recording Clock start/Clock stop, I have a true reference to Hobbs
and Tach.
By recording Wheels off/Wheels on, I have an accurate measure of actual
flight time.
What goes in the logbook is the greater of the three.
I have made my own logging cards (5x8 blank index). I have also included
blocks for logging fuel used from each tank to maintain fuel load
balance and compare to the totalizer. The Cherokee Six and Bonanza have
four tanks, do I included blocks for each.
The logging card has space for five legs on each side. I have a
four-hold punch for flip plates. I include logging cards with each
aircraft checklist.

The following block titles are used:
DATE
AIRCRAFT N-NUMBER