Survival Kits

Old March 5th 07, 09:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bert Willing

Default Survival Kits

The resin in a composite glider burns very well, but you'll need a loooooong
match :-)

wrote in message
t...
COLIN LAMB wrote:
One survival tool I take is my wooden glider.

Good point. How easy is it to burn fiberglass?

Should make light, heat, and SMOKE -- no?

Jack

Old March 5th 07, 09:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Vincent

I know of one glass glider that burned because of a short in the electrical
system. Instead of using matches, just short the battery!
"Bert Willing" wrote in message
The resin in a composite glider burns very well, but you'll need a
loooooong match :-)

wrote in message
t...

Old March 5th 07, 10:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
01-- Zero One

Just a reminder, _ALWAYS_ have a fuse mounted on the battery for just
such occurrences....

Larry Goddard

"01" USA

"Jim Vincent" wrote in message
news
I know of one glass glider that burned because of a short in the electrical
system. Instead of using matches, just short the battery!
"Bert Willing" wrote in message
The resin in a composite glider burns very well, but you'll need a
loooooong match :-)

wrote in message
t...

Old March 6th 07, 04:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

309 wrote: "I did hear a story of a lost glider pilot whose skeleton
was found in a very narrow crevice near Tehachapi. So "landout"
glider pilots have perished."

Just to clarify -- this story probably was about the paraglider pilot
who was last seen flying normally near the launch site in 2003. His
remains were found over 20 months later by some hikers. I have not
read the coroner's report on this tragedy nor have I heard anything
definitive on the cause. I personally flew my paraglider over this
site many times at low altitude after his disappearance and never saw
him - and I was looking! Apparently, his body and gear were hidden by
the scrub brush common in the area. I have read that this location was
"isolated" but it actually is near a very active an populated area.
The exact location was a steep and extreme hillside but it was very
close to a very active state highway.
Steve

Old April 19th 07, 09:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67

I read about the landout along the Allengany Mountains and imagined
the overnight survival adventure the pilot had.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...41edf599cacc/#.

It got me thinking about my own glider survival kit that I have built
up over the years. My son will be hiking in the desert region of Utah
and I shared with him what I had in my kit. I then decided to put
together a small web site of the contents. Maybe sharing this will
help someone in the future.

See http://geocities.com/jhderosa/aviation/survival/ for details.

Good luck out there.

- John "67R" DeRosa

Old April 19th 07, 11:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

I would add few more items from my survival kit (most of them are
handy also in non emergencies):
1 - A fully charged cell phone.
2 - A spare cell phone battery.
3 - A handheld radio.
4 - A small handheld GPS if you don't carry a GPS ELT.
5 - A flare.

I try to carry most of it on me for easy access and in case of a
bailout.

Ramy

the overnight survival adventure the pilot had.http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...wse_thread/thr....

Old April 20th 07, 12:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I would also add an adapter cables to power cell phones or handheld
VHF from the glider batteries. Preferably allowing them to directly
plug into the battery even if everything else is destroyed. Since my
own glider and our club gliders are standardized power connectors on
Anderson Powerpoles it makes it easy to carry common adapters.

I'd also add printing out a list of contact phone numbers for when the
cell phone dies but you can walk to a farm house etc.

I also have my personal list of emergency equipment posted at
http://www.darrylramm.com/glider-survival-equipment.

Darryl

Old April 20th 07, 04:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jack

ContestID67 wrote:
I read about the landout along the Allengany Mountains and imagined
the overnight survival adventure the pilot had.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...41edf599cacc/#.

It got me thinking about my own glider survival kit that I have built
up over the years. My son will be hiking in the desert region of Utah
and I shared with him what I had in my kit. I then decided to put
together a small web site of the contents. Maybe sharing this will
help someone in the future.

See http://geocities.com/jhderosa/aviation/survival/ for details.

I think your presentation is very helpful, John.

I would add that under the heading of "Nylon rope (small diameter)"
you might remind everyone that they have hundreds of feet of the
stuff disguised as their parachute lines.

Very strong, very available.

Jack
Old April 20th 07, 03:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_1_]

ContestID67 wrote:

It got me thinking about my own glider survival kit that I have built
up over the years. My son will be hiking in the desert region of Utah
and I shared with him what I had in my kit. I then decided to put
together a small web site of the contents. Maybe sharing this will
help someone in the future.

See http://geocities.com/jhderosa/aviation/survival/ for details.

Thanks for that list.

I have one suggestion: make sure the flashlight is an LED type. I found
a metal body one that's 20 mm x 160 mm (3/4" x 6 1/4" in old money) and
weighs 60 grams with batteries. The advantages are that its very tough,
you can't break the filament by dropping it and it will run for much
longer on its two AAA batteries than a conventional flashlight will on a
pair of AA cells.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old April 20th 07, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Daniels

Default Survival Kits - signal mirrors

This thread prompted me to make a comparison test of my WWII vintage signal
mirror and a CD. I just went out into my back yard and aimed the reflected
beams at various targets.

In daylight, a signal mirror is an extremely effective device for getting
attention. For those not familiar with them, a signal mirror is just a
small mirror with a hole in it that you can look through to aim the
reflected sunlight beam. It might help for you and your crew to know the
Morse code SOS (...---...).

An unrecorded CD is light and cheap although somewhat large to go in
survival vest pockets. However, CD's are flexible enough that you hace to
be careful not to distort it and diffuse the reflected beam. CD's, being
plastic, will warp if left in an overheated cockpit. Even if not distorted,
the reflected beam is not concentrated enough to see the atmospheric
backscatter spot that lets you aim the beam at an overhead aircraft - at
least not in the 'severe clear' conditions of my test.

The WWII signal mirror is extremely flat and produces a tight beam whose
backscatter spot is easilly seen against a blue sky so you can keep the beam
on a moving airplane or car. There are many reports of this being seen 50+
miles away. I think I'll keep my vintage mirror.

Bill Daniels

Survival II [email protected] Home Built 44 July 3rd 06 08:30 PM
Survival [email protected] Home Built 1 May 12th 06 05:58 PM
Emergency Survival Kit Rosspilot Piloting 5 March 3rd 04 08:57 PM
Survival Gear EDR Owning 22 February 15th 04 03:43 AM
F-4 Survival Kit? davidG35 Military Aviation 7 July 25th 03 03:58 AM