What crashed in front of us today?

Old October 12th 03, 06:28 PM
Gordon

Bellanca Cruiseair w/French markings? Who knows (afraid you haven't
given us enuff info to go on).

The first responder replied with the id of 'Broussard', which is exactly
correct. Thanks for being so helpful anyway, Mike.

However, although Yeager is doing a bang up job,
Yeager didn't start the Young Eagle's program and the first spokesman
was actually Cliff Roberston.

I don't believe I claimed Chuck started it - but the certificate, auto-penned
by him and with his name right next to the program name, sure makes it appear
that he has a bit more to do with it than Cliff presently. Perhaps the reason
why is that folks automatically associate Chuck with flight, and, no slam
against Cliff, he is known primarily for his acting.

In any event, there was no such thang as a "free ride" back in my day
(by gawd!) and if I didn't have the moolah to go fly I'd have to
EARN it by mowing lawns or something.

No kidding? You must be *damn* old to pre-date CAP and their 60-year record of
free flights for youngsters.

snip rest of the post that turns my son's first flight experience into an "All
About Mike" post

So you couldn't answer either question that I asked, told me its my fault you
couldn't answer it, then spent half a page telling us all about your issues
with EAA, and your trike and why its somehow better than what everybody else
flies. Does that sum it up?

We've all seen 'em before..the usual
assortment of vintage trainers such as BT-13's, T-6's, Stearman's,
T-28's etc. [yawn]

In the 'world according to Mike', there are fabulous trikes, and everything
else pales. I get it. We all get it.

along with the boring, underpowered, hot and
cramped Cessnas, Pipers, Beeches et. al. tired old spamcans
[even bigger YAWN]

Luckily, I got my son a ride in a gorgeous Grumman Yankee. I know you'll have
a disparaging comment about it too, but it won't diminish it, or my son's
exciting experience.

What I AM learning from you is that my own ride, the SH-2F, probably is as
boring for people to read about as your trike. So, it is a growth experience
for me to read your posts after all.

Now, if you really want to impress your son, ask Poberenzy or some
EAA high roller to take your kid up in the EAA Official P-51 that
supposedly belongs to all us loyal EAA dues-paying members
[ya right] They'd probably look at you as if you're an idiot or
something even for asking!

My son was greatly impressed by the free ride that EAA provided. No one looked
at us like idiots, no one told us we had to pay to help maintain a warbird half
a continent away - they just gave my son a great experience. I don't
understand why you'd reply to my initial post for no reason other than to crack
on the EAA and every other type of GA except your own.

(Trikes RULE)

Yeah, Mike, we all got your message. Sheesh.

Gordon
Old October 12th 03, 06:32 PM
Gordon

Of course, now the kid is ruined for life. He's going to want to do it
again. And again. ... :}

LOL

Steve, I think he actually got it out of his system - at least for now! Of
course, my daughter is another story. We stood under the Atlas ICBM standing
in front of the air museum hosting the EAA yesterday. She looked the giant
rocket over carefully, then asked,

"...Can I ride it...?"

=:x

Old October 12th 03, 07:13 PM
MLenoch

Mike Marron

wrote: I suppose
Poberenzy has to come up with some way to pay for all his expensive
toys (P-51's etc.) and the thousands of gallons of fuel it takes to
make 'em work.

ask Poberenzy or some
EAA high roller to take your kid up in the EAA Official P-51 that
supposedly belongs to all us loyal EAA dues-paying members
[ya right]

This item of the P-51 seems to stick in a lot of folks craw. Just to shed a
little light on it (facts are facts, how you skew 'em.......well), he
personally bought it when they were selling for under $100,000. He seldom
flies it.........SELDOM! When it does fly, some big wig member is footing the
bill for fuel out of their OWN pocket. (These are facts based on personal
experience with the EAA). This bird is costing EAA members far,far less than a
new Cirrus would cost to operate.
VL
Old October 12th 03, 07:33 PM
Mike Marron

(Gordon) wrote:
Mike Marron wrote:

Bellanca Cruiseair w/French markings? Who knows (afraid you haven't
given us enuff info to go on).

The first responder replied with the id of 'Broussard', which is exactly
correct. Thanks for being so helpful anyway, Mike.

No prob. Always glad to help.

However, although Yeager is doing a bang up job,
Yeager didn't start the Young Eagle's program and the first spokesman
was actually Cliff Roberston.

I don't believe I claimed Chuck started it - but the certificate, auto-penned
by him and with his name right next to the program name, sure makes it appear
that he has a bit more to do with it than Cliff presently. Perhaps the reason
why is that folks automatically associate Chuck with flight, and, no slam
against Cliff, he is known primarily for his acting.

No argument here and appears you're itching for a fight for whatever
reason. I just stating a simple fact that Yeager didn't initiate the
Young Eagle's program.

In any event, there was no such thang as a "free ride" back in my day
(by gawd!) and if I didn't have the moolah to go fly I'd have to
EARN it by mowing lawns or something.

No kidding? You must be *damn* old to pre-date CAP and their 60-year record of
free flights for youngsters.

That's very wonderful Gord but you missed my point entirely (goes back
to what I said above regarding you simply trying to start a flamewar).

snip rest of the post that turns my son's first flight experience into an "All
About Mike" post

Suspicions confirmed (Ol' Gord's ready to rrrrrrrrRRRUMBLE!)

So you couldn't answer either question that I asked, told me its my fault you
couldn't answer it, then spent half a page telling us all about your issues
with EAA, and your trike and why its somehow better than what everybody else
flies. Does that sum it up?

More of the same fighting words. First, I saw only one question asking
about the type of weird French-looking plane that, according to you,
couldn't get out of its own way and crashed. I looked, but damn if I
could find a second question. What was it again? With regards to my
so-called "issues" with EAA and my trike, well, thems YOUR words not
mine.

We've all seen 'em before..the usual
assortment of vintage trainers such as BT-13's, T-6's, Stearman's,
T-28's etc. [yawn]

In the 'world according to Mike', there are fabulous trikes, and everything
else pales. I get it. We all get it.

Is that a royal "we" or do you have a mouse in your pocket?

along with the boring, underpowered, hot and
cramped Cessnas, Pipers, Beeches et. al. tired old spamcans
[even bigger YAWN]

Luckily, I got my son a ride in a gorgeous Grumman Yankee. I know you'll have
a disparaging comment about it too, but it won't diminish it, or my son's
exciting experience.

Huh? I remember my first exciting experience in a 172 spamcan around
the age of 10 or 11 years. We (the CFI, me in the right seat, my Dad
in the back seat) took off out of Stapleton Int'l and went up for an
all-too-brief sightseeing trip around the foothills of the Rockies. I
was literally bouncing up and down in my seat barely able to contain
myself -- 'till I looked behind and saw my ol' man calmly sitting
there all sprawled out in the backseat looking like he was bored stiff
(which is undoubtedly was, being the old fighter pilot he was). To
this day, I think he went along just to be amused by my antics, but
either way, the only "disparaging" or "diminishing" fighting words I
can see from where I'm sitting are coming from YOU.

More fightin' words. Somebody **** in your Wheaties this morning?

Now, if you really want to impress your son, ask Poberenzy or some
EAA high roller to take your kid up in the EAA Official P-51 that
supposedly belongs to all us loyal EAA dues-paying members
[ya right] They'd probably look at you as if you're an idiot or
something even for asking!

My son was greatly impressed by the free ride that EAA provided. No one looked
at us like idiots, no one told us we had to pay to help maintain a warbird half
a continent away - they just gave my son a great experience. I don't
understand why you'd reply to my initial post for no reason other than to crack
on the EAA and every other type of GA except your own.

I did not, but you obviously have chosen to respond in a provocative
manner.

(Trikes RULE)

Yeah, Mike, we all got your message. Sheesh.

There ya' go again with the "WE" crap. And I don't believe that you
got the message at all. The message is; for a tiny fraction of the
cost one can fly a trike or fixed-wing light sport aircraft and have
just as much FUN as you have in your Glasair or Poberezny has
in his P-51 or Joe GA has in his Cessna spamcan. And "WE" don't
need EAA or any other organization to introduce newbies at any age
to aviation. Nobody will argue that the "Young Eagles" program is
a noble program, but not at the expense at missing the organization's
charter (my not-so-humble opinion and many others too).
Trikes and fixed-wing light sport aircraft pilots, not EAA or any EAA
"program" are rejuvunating General Aviation. Don't look
now, but the growth of trikes and light sport aircraft over the past
decade has been phenomenal, no thanks to EAA who originally
shunned the light sport crowd in favor of planes costing $100,000 or
more.

Your turn...you go get 'um Gord! Grrr...

Old October 12th 03, 07:42 PM
Mike Marron

(MLenoch) wrote:

This item of the P-51 seems to stick in a lot of folks craw. Just to shed a
little light on it (facts are facts, how you skew 'em.......well), he
personally bought it when they were selling for under $100,000. He seldom
flies it.........SELDOM! When it does fly, some big wig member is footing the
bill for fuel out of their OWN pocket. (These are facts based on personal
experience with the EAA). This bird is costing EAA members far,far less than a
new Cirrus would cost to operate.
VL

Far be it for me to begrudge anyone enjoying their expensive toys.
More power to 'em...I, for one, just don't think EAA is everything
it's all cracked up to be (no pun intended).

Old October 12th 03, 08:31 PM
Andrew Chaplin

Steve Hix wrote:

You did good Gordon. I envy your son, being as there is nothing much to
match the feeling of your first flight (passenger or not).

Of course, now the kid is ruined for life. He's going to want to do it
again. And again. ... :}

I'll say he did good, all right. It takes me back to my first flight
in a Cessna (150, I think; I wasn't old enough to discriminate) at the
Maxville Highland Games in 1964. It cost my mother $20 or so for the
two of us (a lot out of her budget) for a 15 minute flight and I
really think I was an excuse so my mother could justify going up
herself. I was enraptured. When the pilot turned on final after about
only eight minutes, my mother pointed this out to him, so we did a
touch-and-go and another little jaunt. Certainly the high point of my
life up to that point.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
Old October 12th 03, 08:33 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Mike Marron" wrote in message
(MLenoch) wrote:

This item of the P-51 seems to stick in a lot of folks craw. Just to

shed a
little light on it (facts are facts, how you skew 'em.......well), he
personally bought it when they were selling for under $100,000. He

seldom
flies it.........SELDOM! When it does fly, some big wig member is

footing the
bill for fuel out of their OWN pocket. (These are facts based on personal
experience with the EAA). This bird is costing EAA members far,far less

than a
new Cirrus would cost to operate.
VL

Far be it for me to begrudge anyone enjoying their expensive toys.
More power to 'em...I, for one, just don't think EAA is everything
it's all cracked up to be (no pun intended).

Privatization is the future.