pure gliders with ads b?

Old January 9th 19, 12:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default pure gliders with ads b?

I heard once the F.A.A motto, We're not happy until You're not happy.
Cheers.

Also: "We at the FAA have upped our standards. Up yours."
Old January 13th 19, 06:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams

On Tuesday, January 8, 2019 at 5:50:05 PM UTC-6, wrote:

I heard once the F.A.A motto, We're not happy until You're not happy.
Cheers.

Also: "We at the FAA have upped our standards. Up yours."

So call me Lazy, but this is a Sunday, and, I'm waiting for spot putty to dry.
Do any of you technical types know if a Trig TT22-Tn70 does any Ads B transmitting during the Set up Phase? specifically, In a shop?
I don't want any unwanted premature FAA attention from simply configuring the parameters.
FWIW, I have the Perigrine documents I need and once installed and paperwork filed by my IA, will have a local avionic shop do a ramp check of the transponder, with a performance flight to follow.
Thanks,
Scott
Old January 13th 19, 06:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams

On Sunday, January 13, 2019 at 11:16:59 AM UTC-6, Scott Williams wrote:
On Tuesday, January 8, 2019 at 5:50:05 PM UTC-6, wrote:

I heard once the F.A.A motto, We're not happy until You're not happy.
Cheers.

Also: "We at the FAA have upped our standards. Up yours."

So call me Lazy, but this is a Sunday, and, I'm waiting for spot putty to dry.
Do any of you technical types know if a Trig TT22-Tn70 does any Ads B transmitting during the Set up Phase? specifically, In a shop?
I don't want any unwanted premature FAA attention from simply configuring the parameters.
FWIW, I have the Perigrine documents I need and once installed and paperwork filed by my IA, will have a local avionic shop do a ramp check of the transponder, with a performance flight to follow.
Thanks,
Scott

the Trig manual reads, on standby no interrogations are replied to, and the ADS B won't transmit with a bad gps, I think in the setup menu, no ADS B transmissions would be sent?
Scott
Old January 13th 19, 07:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

It’s going to transmit ADS-B data once configured. Just do it, preferably after checking the squat switch switches the GND/ALT mode display, then check the display shows lat/lon (very basic test, tells you nothing about the GPS quality, just it has any old fix), do your transponder check and go do a test flight and pull the ADS-B report for that. Tight thermalling/very steep banks may cause degradation of GPS quality in the FAA report... on one hand you want to improve that (best GPS antenna location) on the other it may not ever be perfect if you push the glider to extreme bank angles.. If it’s degrading significantly at ~30/45 degree bank you have a problem. And beyond setup menu mistakes most other problems are usually GPS antenna location/obstruction.

2020 compliant installs should have no red flagged parameters in the FAA report, TABS installs will have red flags... that is expected (the FAA report just does not understand TABS).

Depending on the test gear the technician has they may be able to do a test of the ADS-B Out, but that is pretty rare. Even if they do, still pull a FAA performance report as well. Questions about the report email it to me.
Old January 13th 19, 09:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams

On Sunday, January 13, 2019 at 12:33:24 PM UTC-6, Darryl Ramm wrote:
[...]

Thanks Darryl,
I have wondered if a high bank angle would mess with the antenna.
Scott
Old January 23rd 19, 05:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, January 2, 2019 at 6:26:42 PM UTC-7, Scott Williams wrote:
Has anyone actually installed a trig tt22, tn70, ta70 with a peregrine speed switch in a standard type certificated glider in the U.S.A and done the 337 and performance flight?

Don't ask me why, I'm a gadget enthusiast and have the above equipment, and don't fly anywhere near flarm equipped gliders.

Thanks, and Happy New Year!
Scott

Just some FYI. The installation diagram for the Peregrine airspeed switch depicts that it is in the 'low' or open condition when airborne (34 +/- 3 kts), and does not appear adjustable. The ASW-2 switch described from Aircraft Spruce ($47.50) is adjustable from 10-55kts; it is not intended for certified aircraft, which could be an issue for STC folks.

Charlie
Old January 23rd 19, 06:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, January 6, 2019 at 10:15:39 AM UTC-8, Darryl Ramm wrote:
Yes better be differential, have the right trip point, tolerance, longevity, and some basis for knowing the thing is suitable to install in an aircraft in critical pitot plumbing... or... I know pay $125 for the Pereguine kit and spend time worrying about more important stuff.

Is a pitot pressure switch required for a TABS installation in an experimental glider?
Old January 23rd 19, 07:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, January 23, 2019 at 10:19:56 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Sunday, January 6, 2019 at 10:15:39 AM UTC-8, Darryl Ramm wrote:
Yes better be differential, have the right trip point, tolerance, longevity, and some basis for knowing the thing is suitable to install in an aircraft in critical pitot plumbing... or... I know pay $125 for the Pereguine kit and spend time worrying about more important stuff.

Is a pitot pressure switch required for a TABS installation in an experimental glider?

From what I read in the TSO-C199 describing requirements for TABS is that an 'automatic means of selecting the air/ground state is recommended'....BUT....'if an automatic means is not implemented, the transponder SHALL ensure that the air/ground state is Airborne'

So the answer appears to be no, the pressure switch is not required for any aircraft without an electrical system that are voluntarily equipped for TABS. But, I am not a lawyer.
Old January 24th 19, 12:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams

On Wednesday, January 23, 2019 at 10:50:29 AM UTC-6, wrote:
[...]

I am looking at the peregrine diagram right now, and done a continuity test, Charlie is correct, open circuit when pitot pressure above threshold, closed when no differential pressure present, so trig setting would be low when airborne.
Thanks,
Scott
Old January 24th 19, 12:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams

On Wednesday, January 23, 2019 at 5:26:40 PM UTC-6, Scott Williams wrote:
[...]

The point of my previous post was the circuit diagram on the peregrine box seems to show pitot pressure closing the circuit, testing shows the opposite, pitot pressure opens circuit.
Scott

How gliders fly Frank Whiteley Soaring 6 March 19th 15 02:31 PM
Pure Pointless Leftard Rant Eunometic Naval Aviation 0 March 6th 11 04:09 AM
J3, It is pure perversity to post jpeg in par and rar files! Abc Aviation Photos 4 August 11th 08 07:30 PM
Silent 2 pure sailplane soars 900+km / April 24th Blake Miller Soaring 2 April 26th 05 08:02 PM
What is an air combat victory? Pure egoism. Cub Driver Military Aviation 9 July 2nd 03 09:36 PM