Which Project would be best?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 15th 06, 03:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Tim Hickey

Default Which Project would be best?

I have a question for the group. I am feeling the need to start
another homebuilt project. I have a Zenith CH-300 that I first flew in
1988, and it has been a fine ship.
My ideal project would be as follows:

Must meets the Light Sport Aircraft requirements:
Cruse speed is somewhere close to 108 knots.
Fabric cover
Wood ribs and spars:
High wing (for ease of entry)
Enclosed Cabin
Tail Dragger is ok, although I have no experience in one.
Engine is a Lyc 0-235, low compression for burning auto fuel
Useful load is close to 600 pounds.

I have looked long and hard at the Murphy Rebel as a project for a
LSA, but that bird is just a bit too heavy when using the O-235. If
someone could assure me that a Rebel could be put together using the
0-235 and keep the empty weight down to about 700 pounds or so, then I
might drift that way. (I want the O-235 because I believe I can build
one up for a lot less money that a Rotax 100 hp unit would cost.)

I have looked at the Zenith 701, but it is quite small on the inside,
(I am 6' 4", 220 lbs) and still uses the Rotax. It does have amazing
short field performance, but cruse is only about 80 knots or so.

There may be some kits out there that I should be considering, but I
am not afraid of taking on a project as above from plans.

Suggestions welcomed!!

Zenith CH-300 Driver.