Usefulness of Oil Analysis

Old September 19th 07, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Greg Copeland

Default Usefulness of Oil Analysis

On Aug 19, 6:33 am, "Jim Carter" wrote:
From those that use it, I'm interested in the usefulness of starting an
oil analysis program on a big bore Continental that already has 850 SMOH
and 450 STOH on an 1100 TBO. Does it take so long to establish a
baseline and trend that it would be better to wait until OH or can an
individual engine be compared to the class as a whole?

Anyone that says oil analysis is anything other than a trending
device, should be ignored. It is difficult to say how many samples
you need to establish a trend. It depends a lot on flying habits,
weather, environmental factors, oil, consistency of operation. During
summer months, where higher operating temps are to be expected, the
analysis may show different results. Likewise, cold winter months may
too show variation. You may even observe slight variance from sample
to sample. The larger the sample base, the better off you'll be to
determine variance. From what I've read, in some cases, statistical
analysis is required to truly separate the sample to sample variance
from the actual noteworthy deviation.

Of course, the above is ignoring serious problems which can show
themselves prior to catastrophic component failure.

Oil analysis has little down side and is an excellent tool to detect
early problems. Just don't expect a couple of samples to necessarily
establish a reliable baseline; then again, I guess it depends on the
margin of error you're willing to accept too.

Old September 26th 07, 05:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

On Aug 21, 7:58 pm, "me" wrote:
Robert,

For educational purposes could you please describe all of the indications
that helped you pinpoint the problem you found..

Mostly it was Blackstone calling me telling me to check for a broken
pin plug. Any professional oil analysis will come with professional
evaluation of your data. The main indicator for me was progressively
higher AL in the oil.
[
-Robert

Old September 26th 07, 12:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Denny

Mostly it was Blackstone calling me telling me to check for a broken
pin plug. Any professional oil analysis will come with professional
evaluation of your data. The main indicator for me was progressively
higher AL in the oil.
[
-Robert

How about just laying your eyes on the filter at every oil change -
then washing the filter in solvent, filtering the particulates out of
the solvent, and saving them in a plasticine envelope for comparison
to the next change(s)...
Total cost about 2 bucks an oil change - 1 quart of solvent and 1 Mr.
Coffee filter...

And the quart of filtered solvent can be re-used for cleaning the
landing gear...

denny

Old September 26th 07, 03:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Montblack

("Denny" wrote)
And the quart of filtered solvent can be re-used for cleaning the landing
gear...

And the Mr. Coffee filter?

Montblack

Old September 26th 07, 06:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

On Sep 26, 4:46 am, Denny wrote:
Mostly it was Blackstone calling me telling me to check for a broken
pin plug. Any professional oil analysis will come with professional
evaluation of your data. The main indicator for me was progressively
higher AL in the oil.
[
-Robert

How about just laying your eyes on the filter at every oil change -
then washing the filter in solvent, filtering the particulates out of
the solvent, and saving them in a plasticine envelope for comparison
to the next change(s)...
Total cost about 2 bucks an oil change - 1 quart of solvent and 1 Mr.
Coffee filter...

And the quart of filtered solvent can be re-used for cleaning the
landing gear...

denny

I never saw anything in the filter until the AL got very high. The oil
analysis was showing progressively higher AL for about 2 years before
that. Sadly, it did not tell me which cylinder so I ended up having to
do a boroscope every 2-6 months to watch for indications of wear. In
the end I started pumping oil in the bad cylinder which finally told
me which to pull. I really didn't want to spend $5K to have all
cylinders pulled searching for the issue.

-Robert

Old September 26th 07, 06:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ray Andraka

Montblack wrote:
("Denny" wrote)

And the quart of filtered solvent can be re-used for cleaning the landing
gear...

And the Mr. Coffee filter?

Montblack

Donate it to the FBO for their next pot of coffee. It is probably
better than the one used to make todays pot :grin:
Old September 26th 07, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Montblack

("Ray Andraka" wrote)
Donate it to the FBO for their next pot of coffee. It is probably better
than the one used to make todays pot :grin:

Ray, how's the flying, out your way, been this fall - wet?

Montblack

Old September 26th 07, 11:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ray Andraka

Montblack wrote:
("Ray Andraka" wrote)

Donate it to the FBO for their next pot of coffee. It is probably better
than the one used to make todays pot :grin:

Ray, how's the flying, out your way, been this fall - wet?

Montblack

No, not wet enough actually. It's been some great VFR flying though. I
still need to get that air-gizmo installed for the 496 I got at OSH.
Old September 26th 07, 11:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

No, not wet enough actually. It's been some great VFR flying though. I
still need to get that air-gizmo installed for the 496 I got at OSH.

Sounds like a great excuse to come see us, Ray! We'll set up the
installation at KALO, and you spend a couple of days in a hot tub...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 27th 07, 12:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ray Andraka

Jay Honeck wrote:

No, not wet enough actually. It's been some great VFR flying though. I
still need to get that air-gizmo installed for the 496 I got at OSH.

Sounds like a great excuse to come see us, Ray! We'll set up the
installation at KALO, and you spend a couple of days in a hot tub...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

My A&P seems to be willing to sign it off if I do the work. It's mostly
a matter of finding a free weekend. This weekend looks like it will be
partly spend rebuilding my front strut *again*. I went out to the plane
today to find the nose wheel sitting in a puddle of M1506 and the strut
completely collapsed. Seems to be about an annual occurrence. There's
no pitting on the strut, and we can't see anything that is causing the
seal to roll, but roll it does. This time, I'll probably do the whole
thing while my A&P works on his hot rod.

Copper in oil analysis ? [email protected] Owning 8 August 22nd 06 12:31 PM
Regarding Analysis Nag Home Built 3 April 21st 06 11:02 PM
Oil Analysis PaulaJay1 Owning 3 March 16th 04 04:25 PM
Oil Analysis PaulaJay1 Owning 11 November 11th 03 01:29 AM