Air Plane or Parked Plane

Old December 3rd 08, 05:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Air Plane or Parked Plane

24 hours in a day. 365 days in a year. That's 8,760 hours in a
year.

How many hours did you fly last year?

Unless you're in the business, patrolling a pipe-line or whatever,
you're lucky if you did a hundred hours.

Back when I had a girl friend going to Aridzona State and I was
playing Sailor for my uncle Sam, I flat bored a hole in the sky back &
forth between Meadow Lark & Brown Field. Still only added up to about
700 hours (which is a LOT of time in a C-120). Flying for lust or
your living, it can add up but most home-builders feel pretty lucky to
get in a hundred hours in a YEAR.

That means the bird is PARKED 8,660 hours in a year. Home for the mice
and the beez. Smells more like moth balls and rat poison than gas &
oil.

I know a guy, he HANGS his airplane up. Little bitty cable on a 12v
winch from Harbor Freight, hoists that thing up, keeps it clear of the
mice and the bean-counters. (You shoulda seen the pair of us,
laughing like fools when the winch gave out [ turned out to be the
switch, thank gawd! ] )

Lucky if it's parked in a hangar. But most of us aren't lucky. Shed-
roof, along with a disk-harrow, four pallets of ammonium nitrate and a
pick-up truck with a bad rear-end you've been meaning to fix just as
soon as you find the time...

Parked Plane, not an Air Plane.

The more you fly, the better you will.

Doesn't have to be a REAL air plane. Anything that can get you off
the ground, into that third dimension that separates the eagles from
the turkeys.

Wing Ding, Teenie Two, VP... not REAL airplanes, according to the RV
drivers with their air-conditioned hangars living in their Air Parks
(cocktails on the apron, shaken, not stirred). While you're out there
using your J.C.Whitney radar detector to keep under the Big Eye, bugs
in your teeth cuz you're flying so low -- you don't worry about flying
into mountains, you worry about hitting the curb!

Don't need to ask 'Why?' We all know the REAL answer. It's MONEY.
Not just for gas, money for the hangar; for the tie-down; for the
tires and the paint going all chalky and the varnish on the prop
starting the check. Hour in the air means ten on the ground, taking
care of the bird, reaching for your wallet. Insurance. Rich Man
taxes from the city and the county and the State. ( Own an airplane,
you gotta be rich, Right? ) So the bean counters figger you can fork-
over some for them too, and they kill the Golden Goose because you're
a soft target. Hard to hide an airplane. Unless...

What's that? You say you never registered it to begin with... which
means you ain't got no hull number.

Bean counters are all nine-to-fiver's. They never actually come out
and LOOK, they just run their finger down the list, charge you for all
those wunnerful benefits that excise tax isn't being used for. Bean
counters like to talk about AVERAGE incomes for whole HOUSEHOLDS.
They don't like to deal with MEDIAN income for individuals, which sez
there is more than a hundred MILLION of us earning less than $28k per
year. Long LONG way from the bean-counter's Rich Man. But the truth
is, us poor folk like to fly too.

Screw'em. Buy your aviation-grade pine shelving at the Borg. Along
with your aviation-grade Patio Door Replacement Hardware that you use
for pulleys on the rudder cables cuz everything else is a push-rod.
Shut off the fuel, attach your hose, drain the wing tanks. Pull the
pins, slide that wing out until the stub is clear then walk it back,
pin it to the horizontal stabilizer. Do the other then lash them
down: Two bungee cords and a ratchety load-strap. Angle-iron tongue
that clicks in place. Rudder comes off leaving the cables inside,
trapped in their Patio Door pulleys. Now you can lift the hitch, pin
it in place, drop it on the ball, tow that sucker... someplace.

120 hours FLYING in eleven months. (Leak-down barely 10%)

87 hours TOWING in the same period.

Airplanes don't weigh much; just about anything will tow one. But you
wanna put some thought into the hitch.

Who & what? Twarn't me. An' I'll never tell.

Just another one of them Thotz, outside the box. (Like using Crisco
instead of chassis-lube to prevent cross-fires in your black powder
pistol.)

It must be all them pills I'm taking. Or the fact the lab came back
with a big Waytago! report today whilst I'm laying there, IV drip-drip-
dripping in my arm. 184 pounds and holding. Cute little lab-tech
going down the list. "Hey! You're doing really well, aren't you."
Must be all that clean living.

The more you fly, the better you will.

-R.S.Hoover

Old December 3rd 08, 08:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

wrote

It must be all them pills I'm taking. Or the fact the lab came back
with a big Waytago! report today whilst I'm laying there, IV drip-drip-
dripping in my arm. 184 pounds and holding. Cute little lab-tech
going down the list. "Hey! You're doing really well, aren't you."
Must be all that clean living.

Way To Go ! ! !

Yer gonna be back in the air in no time, too! Counting the days and hours,
I'm sure!
--
Jim in NC

Old December 3rd 08, 09:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Copperhead

---------------------------------------------------------------------------*----------------

Lucky if it's parked in a hangar. *But most of us aren't lucky. *Shed-
roof, along with a disk-harrow, four pallets of ammonium nitrate and a
pick-up truck with a bad rear-end you've been meaning to fix just as
soon as you find the time...

Parked Plane, not an Air Plane.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------*-----------

The more you fly, the better you will.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------*------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------*--------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------*-------------

It must be all them pills I'm taking. *Or the fact the lab came back
with a big Waytago! report today whilst I'm laying there, IV drip-drip-
dripping in my arm. *184 pounds and holding. *Cute little lab-tech
going down the list. *"Hey! *You're doing really well, aren't you."
Must be all that clean living.

The more you fly, the better you will.

-R.S.Hoover

Best read I've had Bob, good for you and glad your doing so well, hang
in there so I can send you pictures of my build project......

Joe
Old December 3rd 08, 09:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gregory Hall

"Copperhead" wrote in message
On Dec 2, 11:31 pm, " wrote:
24 hours in a day. 365 days in a year. That's 8,760 hours in a
year.

How many hours did you fly last year?

Pretty difficult to fly hours. You can fly an airplane, a ballon, a kite
etc. but you can't fly an hour.

How many hours did you spend flying last year would be the literate way to
ask the question.

trimmed to end

--
Gregory Hall

Old December 3rd 08, 10:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
RST Engineering

How many hours did you fly last year?

Pretty difficult to fly hours. You can fly an airplane, a ballon, a kite
etc. but you can't fly an hour.

How many hours did you spend flying last year would be the literate way to
ask the question.

Bzzzzzt. Sorry, not so.

I spent hundreds of hours flying last year. A few of them in my aircraft, a
lot of them in the torch.

However, the first question is grammatically correct. Asking how many hours
**I** flew last year implies that **I** flew them, not that I was flown.

Jim

Old December 3rd 08, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Alan Baker

In article ,
"RST Engineering" wrote:

How many hours did you fly last year?

Pretty difficult to fly hours. You can fly an airplane, a ballon, a kite
etc. but you can't fly an hour.

How many hours did you spend flying last year would be the literate way to
ask the question.

Bzzzzzt. Sorry, not so.

I spent hundreds of hours flying last year. A few of them in my aircraft, a
lot of them in the torch.

However, the first question is grammatically correct. Asking how many hours
**I** flew last year implies that **I** flew them, not that I was flown.

Jim

Ambiguous, at best:

If I ask, "How many kites did you fly?", does that imply that you flew
as well?

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old December 4th 08, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jim Logajan

"Gregory Hall" wrote:
On Dec 2, 11:31 pm, " wrote:
24 hours in a day. 365 days in a year. That's 8,760 hours in a
year.

How many hours did you fly last year?

Pretty difficult to fly hours. You can fly an airplane, a ballon, a
kite etc. but you can't fly an hour.

How many hours did you spend flying last year would be the literate
way to ask the question.

Colloquial language. Used not just by ordinary people, but great authors.
Try some today.
Old December 4th 08, 12:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jim Logajan

"Gregory Hall" wrote:
On Dec 2, 11:31 pm, " wrote:
24 hours in a day. 365 days in a year. That's 8,760 hours in a
year.

How many hours did you fly last year?

Pretty difficult to fly hours. You can fly an airplane, a ballon, a
kite etc. but you can't fly an hour.

How many hours did you spend flying last year would be the literate
way to ask the question.

Spelling "balloon" correctly would have been literate too. Skitt's law (or
is it Muphry's law?) in action!
Old December 4th 08, 04:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Frank Stutzman[_2_]

Gregory Hall wrote:

Pretty difficult to fly hours. You can fly an airplane, a ballon, a kite
etc. but you can't fly an hour.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"

Old December 5th 08, 03:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ernest Christley

On Dec 2, 11:31 pm, " wrote:
24 hours in a day. 365 days in a year. That's 8,760 hours in a
year.

How many hours did you fly last year?

Pretty difficult to fly hours. You can fly an airplane, a ballon, a kite
etc. but you can't fly an hour.

How many hours did you spend flying last year would be the literate way to
ask the question.

trimmed to end

--
Gregory Hall

Pfft! Depends on how many pain pills he took! Take the right pills,
and you can fly pigs.