IFR then VFR back to KPAO

Old February 26th 05, 03:03 AM
Jose

It is my opinion that by shooting this approach, you are opening
yourself up to a possible violation. Let me explain... take a look at
the missed approach procedure for this IAP. You will note that it
requires you to track direct a TACAN, then a radial out of it to an
intersection. I believe if they wanted to, a fed could easily give you
a violation for not having the appropriate equipment for the approach.

So request the approach with an alternate missed approach procedure.
They can grant it or not. If they do, and it fits your equipment,
you're all set. IF they don't, it's their polite way of saing "go away".

Jose
--
Nothing is more powerful than a commercial interest.
Old February 27th 05, 05:36 AM
Gene Whitt

Jose,
In the northern reaches of San Francisco Bay there are rivers
flowing in from the the interior of California. Ships go all the way
to Sacrameto and Stockton. Power lines cross these waterways.

On either side of the rivers there are much higher than normal power lines
(200') needed to hold the power lines above the ships sailing
up/down river. They vary in height lbut in excess of 600' is not unusual.
These power lines love to eat low flying aircraft.

Therefore flying close along the shorlines or even along the river
can be relatively dangerous.

gene Whitt

"Jose" wrote in message
. ..
Never fly along the shoreline of a river used by large ships.
600' towers live there.

What towers are these? Are you referring to the masts? (Even the
original Queen Mary is only three hundred and something)

Or are you referring to the supports for wires and bridges to cross the
river high enough to let the ship pass?

Jose
--
Nothing is more powerful than a commercial interest.

Old February 28th 05, 08:08 AM
G. Sylvester

Lynne wrote:
It is my opinion that by shooting this approach, you are opening
yourself up to a possible violation. Let me explain... take a look at
the missed approach procedure for this IAP. You will note that it
requires you to track direct a TACAN, then a radial out of it to an
intersection. I believe if they wanted to, a fed could easily give you
a violation for not having the appropriate equipment for the approach.

I don't know about current Garmin 430 databases, but their simulator
has the PAULZ intersection in there. As for getting cleared into
Moffett, umm, you might have a better chance at getting an approach
into Nellis or Beale (NOT!). Maybe I'm wrong though. Also if you
get an approach into Moffett, they will still have to vector you
all around the bay area. You might as well get the approach into PAO.

DA for the Moffet ILS 32R is 227. MDA
for PAO is I think 460 so it is not that much better....then again
I shooting the approach into PAO to minimums must be fun since that
runway is so small. I've shot practice approaches there and have
landed there many many times but doing it to minimums must be fun.

Gerald
Old February 28th 05, 03:16 PM
Newps

Lynne wrote:

It is my opinion that by shooting this approach, you are opening
yourself up to a possible violation. Let me explain... take a look at
the missed approach procedure for this IAP. You will note that it
requires you to track direct a TACAN,

Doesn't matter. You request an alternate missed approach. That makes
the published missed irrelavant.
Old February 28th 05, 05:35 PM

Yeah, I thought about this, and having done a lot of hangar flying in
the various flying club lounges at PAO, I've never heard of anyone
doing this. I'd bet it's off limits. And the vectoring would likely be
the same.

Actually, it's not quite clear to me why they're so willing to give the
PAO GPS approach and not the VOR/DME. They're both in the "same general
area." The VOR/DME obviously, is based on the SJC VOR, but with radar
vectors to the FAC rather than a flyover of the VOR I don't see why it
has to be so much more disruptive to SJC traffic as the PAO.

It's just one of those unknowables.

By the way, are the Moffett approaches in the NOS approach books? If
so, why? They are not in the Jepps.

PS -- It would be a truly lovely thing if Moffett were open to GA.
Imagine being able to rent a tiedown without being on a multi-year
waiting list!

-- dave j