BB/WSJ in the news

Old November 13th 08, 08:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Beckman[_2_]

Default BB/WSJ in the news

At 19:55 12 November 2008, TonyV wrote:
wrote:
"We all like to think we're smarter than average, but at least half

of
us are deluded"

No. That would be the "median" not the "average". Sorry, had to get

that
out :-)

Given that there is a lower limit to intelligence (dumb enough
and you can't remember to keep breathing) but no noticeable
upper limit, I would suggest that most likely *more* than
half of us are dumber than average.

Jim Beckman

Old November 14th 08, 01:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
TonyV

Eric Greenwell wrote:

No. That would be the "median" not the "average". Sorry, had to get
that out :-)

Would it be reasonable to say that "smarts" has a bell shaped curve, so
the median and average are the same?

OK, I'll run with this :-). I don't think so (I have no proof). We're
not talking "smarts" here but piloting skill. Most bad pilots "saw the
light" and never made it to license (Lord knows that it wasn't all of
them). So, your curve would not be bell shaped. I could be wrong :-).

Tony V.

Old November 14th 08, 06:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

wrote:
"We all like to think we're smarter than average, but at least half

of
us are deluded"

No. That would be the "median" not the "average". Sorry, had to get

that
out :-)

Given that there is a lower limit to intelligence (dumb enough
and you can't remember to keep breathing) but no noticeable
upper limit, I would suggest that most likely *more* than
half of us are dumber than average.

Jim Beckman

Can't believe I'm biting on this...

"Although the term "IQ" is still in common use, the scoring of modern
IQ tests such as the Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale is now based on
a projection of the subject's measured rank on the Gaussian bell curve
with a center value (average IQ) of 100, and a standard deviation of
15, although different tests may have different standard deviations."

- Source: Wikipedia - the source of all possibly true facts

....and the link to the bell curve

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...7/IQ_curve.svg

Presumably someone in a persistent vegetative state would be unable to
take the test and would score a 0 - you'd need an equal number at 200
to preserve the symmetry - and you don't meet many of those.

Now back to our original programming already in progress...

....nice article BB! Even in the WSJ using the term "median" will lose
you readership, so we'll overlook the linguistic license.

9B
Old November 14th 08, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Albert Gold[_3_]

OK, time for my bit of pedantry. Most human attributes are log normally
distributed. It's the logarithm of the attribute not, the attribute
itself, that's described by a bell shaped curve. We can't have negative
heights or IQ's, a circumstance that the log normal distribution, unlike
the normal or Gaussian distribution, doesn't permit. For most purposes,
especially when looking near the mean, the two distributions are very
close. I guess that means that the log of all the children in Lake
Woebegone are above average. :-)

Al

Old November 14th 08, 09:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
DRN

On Nov 14, 1:53*am, wrote:
...nice article BB! *Even in the WSJ using the term "median" will lose
you readership, so we'll overlook the linguistic license.

I think you meant "especially in WSJ"...
See ya, Dave

Old November 14th 08, 09:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Nov 14, 1:15*pm, DRN wrote:

I think you meant "especially in WSJ"...
See ya, Dave

Hey, that's the "Daily diary of the American dream" you're talking
about!
Old November 14th 08, 10:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
DRN

On Nov 14, 4:32*pm, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
On Nov 14, 1:15*pm, DRN wrote:

I think you meant "especially in WSJ"...
See ya, Dave

Hey, that's the "Daily diary of the American dream" you're talking
about!

It looks good in the bottom of the parrot's house.
See ya, Dave
Old November 14th 08, 10:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On Nov 14, 1:15*pm, DRN wrote:

I think you meant "especially in WSJ"...
See ya, Dave

Hey, that's the "Daily diary of the American dream" you're talking
about!

It looks good in the bottom of the parrot's house.
See ya, Dave

my ferrets have fun with it too............!

Brad, Rocko and Hubert

No news Is Good news? Pete Reinhart Soaring 5 September 23rd 06 05:23 PM
CDG NEWS!! franck jeamourra Instrument Flight Rules 0 September 16th 04 05:50 AM
News Fil330 General Aviation 0 June 26th 04 09:58 AM
Weak Dollar (Bad News - Good News) JJ Sinclair Soaring 6 January 27th 04 03:06 AM
Sad News JohnD Soaring 11 October 11th 03 09:17 AM