VFR on top

Old October 14th 05, 12:52 AM
Chris

"Peter" wrote in message

"Chris" wrote

Even though I had used DCT in CAS to get to Southampton, all the Radar
controllers instructed me to remain outside controlled airspace. This
meant
scrambling along in marginal VFR until I got to north of the Solent area
and
climbed to 4000 in Class G in IMC and waited for clearance into the Solent
Area (Class D).

I was kept holding outside outside the Southampton Zone for 20 minutes
before being allowed to enter CAS. In fact when I was passed onto Solent
from Farnborough, I was greeted with the statement " remain outside
controlled airspace until I get back to you which might not be today, we
are
busy."

I *think* the above happened because in the UK the ATS routes are all
in Class A, and you were below Class A. You should have got an IFR
departure right away, into the Class A TMA whose base is at 2500ft
there. What was your initial FP altitude/level? If it was under 2500ft
that would explain it. One has to file an FP whose initial requested
level is straight into Class A.

I did, my FL65 out of WW which is straight into CAS but I was kept out of
it, maybe because its in the climb out from Heathrow. So, my flight plan
went for a burton from the off.

Maybe you mean something specific to Jersey, but that is in a Class A
CTR and you cannot go there IFR without the full IR anyway.

Exactly that, and the visibility.