presidential TFR - 3,291 statute miles square!

Old December 12th 03, 02:32 PM
Larry Dighera

Default presidential TFR - 3,291 statute miles square!

It looks like we're not the only ones who think baby Bush's 3,000+
square mile TFRs are too big:

AOPA ePilot Volume 5, Issue 50 December 12, 2003

PENNSYLVANIA LAWMAKERS CALL FOR SMALLER TFRs
Remember that poor pipeline patrol pilot who unwittingly flew over
the presidential motorcade in Philadelphia earlier this year? The
Pennsylvania legislature certainly does. AOPA President Phil Boyer
was the honored guest of state Rep. Gene McGill, an AOPA member, as
the House of Representatives on Monday passed, by a near-unanimous
vote, a resolution that calls on federal security officials to reduce
the size of temporary flight restrictions (TFRs) resulting from
presidential travel. The four-page resolution asks for authorities to
"reconsider the need to issue such restrictions based on nonspecific
threats and ways to improve the timely dissemination of flight
restriction information to pilots." The resolution will be sent to
key federal government officials. See AOPA Online
( http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsite...03-4-139x.html ).

On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 21:06:37 GMT, Larry Dighera
wrote in Message-Id: :

On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 06:07:34 -0400, Cub Driver wrote
in Message-Id: :

The prezdint is coming to Portsmouth and Manchester NH this week, and
AOPA reminds us that in such cases he is usually accompanied by a
60-mile TFR.

Right. Baby Bush inflicts a 60 nm diameter no-fly-zone on the NAS
wherever he goes in this country. They call it a 30 nm TFR, but it's
really 2,826 nautical miles square, or 3,291 statute miles square!

All he has to do to defeat the Democrats next year is to be near their
convention site during its duration; air transportation will be
halted.

Old December 12th 03, 03:02 PM
Peter R.

Larry Dighera ) wrote:

PENNSYLVANIA LAWMAKERS CALL FOR SMALLER TFRs
Remember that poor pipeline patrol pilot who unwittingly flew over
the presidential motorcade in Philadelphia earlier this year? The
Pennsylvania legislature certainly does. AOPA President Phil Boyer
was the honored guest of state Rep. Gene McGill, an AOPA member, as
the House of Representatives on Monday passed, by a near-unanimous
vote, a resolution that calls on federal security officials to reduce
the size of temporary flight restrictions (TFRs) resulting from
presidential travel. The four-page resolution asks for authorities to
"reconsider the need to issue such restrictions based on nonspecific
threats and ways to improve the timely dissemination of flight
restriction information to pilots." The resolution will be sent to
key federal government officials. See AOPA Online

Makes me happy that my only family vacation by GA airplane was to
Harrisburg, PA, and three days at Hershey Park last June.

--
Peter

Old May 28th 04, 02:58 PM
Larry Dighera

Fortunately, we won't have to put up with this clown much longer:

AVflash Volume 10, Number 22a -- May 23, 2004

THE TFR THAT WAS, THE PRESIDENT THAT WASN'T ... THERE
Saturday (according to a TFR issued May 20) saw the airspace around
Austin (Texas) Bergstrom International Airport restricted for GA
traffic and open for the president ... who showed up but then skipped
the event he was in town to see. Alas, the Temporary Flight
Restriction, which read in part, "AIRCRAFT FLIGHT OPERATIONS ARE
PROHIBITED WITHIN 30 NMR UP TO BUT NOT INCLUDING FL1801" ... and then
in part two... "ALL AIRCRAFT ENTERING OR EXITING THE 30 NMR TFR SHALL
BE ON AN ACTIVE IFR OR VFR FLIGHT PLAN" was offered to the flying
public regardless of (clarity or) presidential presence. The
restrictions were intended to allow presidential access to the area
relatively free from free-range light aircraft and allow the proud
Bush parents to witness the graduation of daughter Jenna ... who also
didn't show up. Consistency, at least.
http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archive...ll.html#187342

wrote in Message-Id: :

On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 06:07:34 -0400, Cub Driver wrote
in Message-Id: :

The prezdint is coming to Portsmouth and Manchester NH this week, and
AOPA reminds us that in such cases he is usually accompanied by a
60-mile TFR.

Right. Baby Bush inflicts a 60 nm diameter no-fly-zone on the NAS
wherever he goes in this country. They call it a 30 nm TFR, but it's
really 2,826 nautical miles square, or 3,291 statute miles square!

All he has to do to defeat the Democrats next year is to be near their
convention site during its duration; air transportation will be
halted.

--

Irrational beliefs ultimately lead to irrational acts.
-- Larry Dighera,
Old May 28th 04, 03:30 PM
Blanche

It was announced a few weeks ago that the Bush's would NOT attend
the graduation ceremonies for either daughter to avoid really
annoying everyone else attending.

UT graduates thousands of students in the spring. Any idea how many
parents/relatives/friends would be come staunch democrats (altho
I remember a time in Texas if you admitted to being a registered
Republican you could never get a job!) really fast! If you
think TFRs are a problem, consider on-the-ground security.

Old May 28th 04, 03:59 PM
Bill Denton

And shortly before the events, it was announced that the Bushs' would be
hosting large private parties in Austin and Boston for their daughters. So,
the President was in town, he just did not attend the public graduation
ceremonies...

Old May 28th 04, 05:02 PM
Newps

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message

Fortunately, we won't have to put up with this clown much longer:

You're right, only 5 1/2 more years. Would you like some cheese with that
whine?

Old May 28th 04, 06:21 PM
Karl Treier

What and you think Kerry would give up the protection the TFR's offer

Old May 28th 04, 06:29 PM
Dave

Newps wrote:

You're right, only 5 1/2 more years. Would you like some cheese with that
whine?

Not if my vote counts *this* time, although I only negate NEWPS vote.

Pass the crackers.

~D
Old May 28th 04, 07:36 PM
Newps

"Karl Treier" wrote in message
What and you think Kerry would give up the protection the TFR's offer

You ask that like he has a choice.

Old May 28th 04, 07:37 PM
Newps

"Dave" wrote in message

Newps wrote:

You're right, only 5 1/2 more years. Would you like some cheese with

that
whine?

Not if my vote counts *this* time, although I only negate NEWPS vote.

Sorry, we got you the electronic touch screen. Your vote already doesn't
count.