Portable Aircraft HF Radio Build (Going to Be Long) Multiple Posts....

Old January 29th 08, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Default Portable Aircraft HF Radio Build (Going to Be Long) Multiple Posts....

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 07:39:59 -0800 (PST), gwengler
wrote in
:

Is there a way to somehow plug the microphone cable/plug of a standard
aviation headset into the transceiver?

First, please trim the text you are quoting. We've already seen it.

I believe it would require wiring the HF radio into the panel mounted
audio panel. That may not be as easy (or comply with regulations for
non FAA certificated personnel) as using the HF radio independently.
But Steve can answer for himself.

Old January 29th 08, 05:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
NW_Pilot

gwengler wrote:
On Jan 28, 5:07 pm, NW_Pilot
wrote:
NW_Pilot wrote:
"NW_Pilot" wrote
in messagenews:v_idnYqCWoAcMwTanZ2dnUVZ_tSknZ2d@comca st.com...
Hello, Usenet, Jay, Marry, Montblack, And Friends!!!
Since Comcast is so lame and Lost the HF thread will start my own.
HF-Box build project, Goal is to simplify next flight T182T to Qatar next
week!!! and return airline flight home with equipment not broken.
Most all you know what I do for a living fun, fun, fun, :-) yep mostly
Single Engine Piston Aircraft Over Oceans it some times requires an HF
Radio!
Well I got tired of always fumbling with HF wiring Special Flight Permit
Allows!! A Power Drop For HF When Tanked!! So I decided to package it all
in to one small portable airline carry on size case case. I used a Pelican
case just incase I may be harassed and asked to check it as I have in the
past (Thanks!! Delta, Virgin, and TSA A-holes)
This Case Will Not Be Water Tight It Requires Drilling Holes!!!! Pelican
Unconditional Warranty Still Applies Leaving Holes To Min. MADE IN USA
WITH GREAT WARRANTY!!!
Supply List,
Pelican 1450 Case About $75.00 Shipped (No Foam)
HF Radio ICOM 706MKIIG 100 Watt $949.00 On Sale Ham Radio Outlet (Remote
Mount Kit Required It's Usually Free + a $50 to $100 Rebate) Look Here
http://www.icomamerica.com/amateur/hf/index.html#706
Automatic Antenna Tuner SGC 237 100 Watt (or 239) $359.00
Astron 24 to 12V Converter 20 Amp 24 Peak About $150.00
2 Nice Size Pieces Of Aluminum ($ Varies Mine Was Donated By Horizon Air
Trash Can! Yea, I Dumpster Diving Again!!)
A Bunch Of Mics. Items Don't feel like Listing them All Use Your Brain!!!
(Jacks PL235 1000UF 25V Cap And 10K Resister, 1 or 2 Computer Fans Etc.)
MCM, Norvac, Etc. ($$ Varies)
Tools, Tin Snips Left, Right, Straight, Soldering Iron, Solder, Drill And
Assorted Bits, Rivet's And Rivnuts...Lots of Heat Shrink, Epoxy, Your
Brain, and Harbor Freight If you have a local one!!! (My Case Friends
Snap-On Truck & My Own Good Tool Collection)
You will need Soldering Skills, An Adult Beverage I Like Whiskey, Kitchen
(Aka, Workshop) And AN Understanding Wife!!! For making a Big Mess!!!
This Pelican Case will give you enough Space to Pack The Radio, Long Wire
Antenna, Tools, And Universal Mounting Hardware Cessna, Piper, Grumman,
Etc... Single And Multi All Connections Antenna's. Power, Ground And
Control head will be External Mount Quick Connect.
Photos Will Be Out Of Numerical Order,
The Case, Pelican 1450 Perfect Size About $70.00 No Foam
http://www.internationalferryflights...X/S4010546.JPG
http://www.internationalferryflights...X/S4010544.JPG
Take You Sheet Of Aluminum Cut it To Fit The Bottom Of the Pelican Case.
Don't Cut your Fingers....I did not want to use my CNC mill for this to
much work to clean the Garage to get to the dam thing. Ok, Mount the Radio
Mount To This!!! I Used 1/8" Pop Rivets...
http://www.internationalferryflights...X/S4010541.JPG
http://www.internationalferryflights...X/S4010542.JPG
Verify Fit In Case, Looks Ok!
http://www.internationalferryflights...X/S4010545.JPG
Remove From Case and Mount Radio
http://www.internationalferryflights...X/S4010547.JPG
http://www.internationalferryflights...X/S4010548.JPG
Verify Fit In Case, You want About 1/2 Inch for Cable Clearance On Front
Remote Mount Cable.
http://www.internationalferryflights...X/S4010549.JPG
http://www.internationalferryflights...X/S4010550.JPG
Time To Mount The Antenna Tuner, Ok I used scotch bright pads with a right
angel die grinder to remove the paint off the bottom of the SGC-237 (No
Photo) because if you have not guessed it by now we are using the aluminum
sheet as a ground for this project. A good ground with a wire antenna is
key for this set up.
http://www.internationalferryflights...X/S4010552.JPG
Verify Fit In Case, Make Another Adult Beverage!!!
http://www.internationalferryflights...X/S4010553.JPG
http://www.internationalferryflights...X/S4010554.JPG
Find A Spot For Cooling Fan Placement, (I Do Have A Guard For The Fan)
http://www.internationalferryflights...X/S4010555.JPG
Remove Lid Re Clock 180 Degrees Add Auto Tune Cap & Resister To the Inside
Of Tuner At The Terminal Connector.
http://www.internationalferryflights...X/S4010559.JPG
More Inside the SGC237
http://www.internationalferryflights...X/S4010560.JPG
Preview Of Mounting Astron Voltage Converter to lid Of SGC-237 Antenna
Tuner,
http://www.internationalferryflights...X/S4010557.JPG
http://www.internationalferryflights...X/S4010558.JPG
Day-2
Drilling the vent holes for fan.
http://internationalferryflights.com...2/S4010563.JPG
http://internationalferryflights.com...2/S4010564.JPG
http://internationalferryflights.com...2/S4010565.JPG
http://internationalferryflights.com...2/S4010566.JPG
http://internationalferryflights.com...2/S4010569.JPG
SGC-237 to 706 Hookup
Manufactures Instructions I did it but put it inside the tuner.
http://www.sgcworld.com/Publications...connecting.pdf
Mine Inside The Tuner,
http://internationalferryflights.com...2/S4010575.JPG
The Molex Connector,
http://internationalferryflights.com...2/S4010578.JPG
Wiring Hooked Up,
http://internationalferryflights.com...2/S4010584.JPG
http://internationalferryflights.com...2/S4010587.JPG
http://internationalferryflights.com...2/S4010588.JPG
Mounting the Astron to the 237, Use Nylon Screws as they is high Voltage,
http://internationalferryflights.com...2/S4010581.JPG
http://internationalferryflights.com...2/S4010582.JPG
http://internationalferryflights.com...2/S4010583.JPG
Astron Mounted to 237,
http://internationalferryflights.com...2/S4010590.JPG
http://internationalferryflights.com...2/S4010591.JPG
706MKIIG Power Line Routing, to Astron
http://internationalferryflights.com...2/S4010594.JPG
http://internationalferryflights.com...2/S4010595.JPG
http://internationalferryflights.com...2/S4010596.JPG
Antenna, Connector, 3 Pin Power Connector, (Will Have Switch to Select 14V
or 28V System) All protected between hard plastic. plenty of room to connect
the cables.
http://internationalferryflights.com...2/S4010600.JPG
Inside, decided to go with a thermaltake fan nice and quiet.
http://internationalferryflights.com...2/S4010602.JPG
Inside With Radio,
http://internationalferryflights.com...2/S4010603.JPG
Added And Airframe Ground,
http://internationalferryflights.com...2/S4010604.JPG
1/2' Foam,
http://internationalferryflights.com...2/S4010605.JPG
Radio Fitted with Foam Under Aluminum,
http://internationalferryflights.com...2/S4010607.JPG
Still have some wiring to do for main power and 14 Volt and 24 Volt, Need to
wire an 8pin connector under the power for remote mount control head...
Depending on if the junk store is open or not Monday I should have it done
and ready to test. May have to D sub the Control Head. really want to use a
8pin round connector similar to the power.
BBL...

Called norvac and ordered the rest of the parts today... so it's drive 40 miles
round trip traffic and snow or pay $8.00 for shipping should be here tomorrow.

The $50.00 remote separation cable is an 8 conductor cable so I ordered P700 And
T700 microphone connectors,

http://internationalferryflights.com/HF_BOX/2399.jpg
&http://internationalferryflights.com...X/micplugz.jpg

Possible mount under the handle or below the power cable.

Tasks today is the External fan nod to the radio to help with cooling,

Instructions here,http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump2.cgi?ID=10087

Will finish 98% of the wiring for 28V/14v system,

Wire Tune Locked LED to case

Make a fee ground straps.

Clean up kitchen table, prepare for finial assembly & testing.

Wire roof with coper wire and coax for testing, And why dose it have to
snow/rain every time I get on the roof?- Hide quoted text -

What do you need the microphone connectors for?

Is there a way to somehow plug the microphone cable/plug of a standard
aviation headset into the transceiver?

Thanks,
Gerd

Microphone connectors are for the separation cable for the control head.

I already have built an adapter to use a standard aviation headset that plugs in
to the control head.
Old January 29th 08, 05:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gwengler

I believe it would require wiring the HF radio into the panel mounted
audio panel. *That may not be as easy (or comply with regulations for
non FAA certificated personnel) as using the HF radio independently.
But Steve can answer for himself.

My question was how to connect the microphone cable/plug of a
standard
aviation headset into the transceiver - directly. I did not ask how
to connect an HF radio to the audio panel. BTW I believe for the HF
radio's audio OUTPUT it can be done easily, my airplane has an "audio
in" connection in the panel, and I believe you can connect the HF
radio through that just as you would an CD player or MP3 player.

Gerd

Old January 29th 08, 05:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gwengler

I already have built an adapter to use a standard aviation headset that plugs in
to the control head.

Aha! Any way I could get my hands on such an adapter? Or some help
on how to put it together?
Gerd
Old January 29th 08, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
NW_Pilot

gwengler wrote:
I already have built an adapter to use a standard aviation headset that plugs in
to the control head.

Aha! Any way I could get my hands on such an adapter? Or some help
on how to put it together?
Gerd

Well, your radio should have a manual with pin outs of the microphone!! That
would be a good place to start most modern headsets can be wired one to one to
the radio..

See Photos,

http://www.internationalferryflights...r/S4010609.JPG
http://www.internationalferryflights...r/S4010615.JPG
Old January 29th 08, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gwengler

I just bought an Icom IC-706MKII but have not used it yet. Did you
build the little black box from your photos yourself?
Thanks very much for your help,
Gerd
Old January 29th 08, 06:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 09:06:35 -0800 (PST), gwengler
wrote in
:

My question was how to connect the microphone cable/plug of a
standard aviation headset into the transceiver - directly.

Because the headset plugs are used with the radios installed in the
aircraft, disconnecting it from the airplane may not be such a good
idea, IMO. I realize, that mid-Atlantic the pilot may not be
communicating via the radios installed in the aircraft, but in the
event s/he may want to contact/monitor other traffic in the vicinity
(airliners, etc) he would have to disconnect from the HF set in the
scenario you suggest.

Further, I doubt the headset microphone would be directly compatible
with the Icom HF transceiver; likely it would require some matching
electronics in between the mic and Icom.

Old January 29th 08, 06:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 09:26:13 -0800, NW_Pilot
wrote in
:

most modern headsets can be wired one to one to the radio..

I was under the impression that aviation headset microphones were made
to electrically look like a carbon mic, and that most ham
communications gear used dynamic mics. Do you have information that
refutes this notion?

Old January 29th 08, 07:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
NW_Pilot

gwengler wrote:
I just bought an Icom IC-706MKII but have not used it yet. Did you
build the little black box from your photos yourself?
Thanks very much for your help,
Gerd

Hello, Yes I built that myself..
Old January 29th 08, 07:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
NW_Pilot

NW_Pilot wrote:
NW_Pilot wrote:

&
http://internationalferryflights.com...X/micplugz.jpg

Possible mount under the handle or below the power cable.

Tasks today is the External fan nod to the radio to help with cooling,

Instructions here, http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump2.cgi?ID=10087

Will finish 98% of the wiring for 28V/14v system,

Wire Tune Locked LED to case

Make a fee ground straps.

Clean up kitchen table, prepare for finial assembly & testing.

Wire roof with coper wire and coax for testing, And why dose it have to
snow/rain every time I get on the roof?

Still waiting on Parts here is the Cooling Fan Mod,

http://www.internationalferryflights...X/S4010616.JPG
http://www.internationalferryflights...X/S4010617.JPG
http://www.internationalferryflights...X/S4010618.JPG

Portable/handheld radio Danny Deger Piloting 15 February 22nd 07 05:10 PM
Portable Radio Waduino Soaring 12 September 14th 05 06:36 PM
Portable radio scanners Casey Wilson Piloting 1 August 1st 05 02:05 PM
Portable XM Radio receiver in the cockpit? Peter R. Piloting 13 September 4th 04 03:46 AM
FA OLD AIRCRAFT RADIO TRANSMITTER STANDARD RADIO Ron Restoration 0 October 26th 03 12:02 AM