midair: SR-20 vs Piper Pawnee & Lockheed glider

Old February 7th 10, 03:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
wright1902glider

Default midair: SR-20 vs Piper Pawnee & Lockheed glider

Midair over north Boulder, CO today with three confirmed fatalities so
far. A Piper Pawnee towing what I believe is a Lockheed glider was
struck by a Cirrus SR-20 northwest of the Boulder County airport. The
glider was able to release and return safely to the gliderport. The
SR-20 appears to have lost its right wing and gone down in flames and
heavy smoke on the BRS. I haven't seen anything of the Piper in the
local news reports. There is video of the SR-20 on 'chute hehttp://
http://www.9news.com/news/article.as...2284&catid=339.

Harry Frey
Old February 7th 10, 03:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bob Kuykendall

On Feb 6, 7:37*pm, wright1902glider wrote:

...what I believe is a Lockheed glider...

WTF?
Old February 7th 10, 03:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bob Kuykendall

On Feb 6, 7:43*pm, Bob Kuykendall wrote:

WTF?

To expand on that, we do know that at least one of the SGS 2-32
gliders used in Lockheed's Q-star program under Stan Hall was returned
to its original configuration and went into service in Colorado. But I
don't think that makes it a "Lockheed Glider."

Thanks, Bob K.
Old February 7th 10, 04:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
bildan

On Feb 6, 8:53*pm, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
On Feb 6, 7:43*pm, Bob Kuykendall wrote:

WTF?

To expand on that, we do know that at least one of the SGS 2-32
gliders used in Lockheed's Q-star program under Stan Hall was returned
to its original configuration and went into service in Colorado. But I
don't think that makes it a "Lockheed Glider."

Thanks, Bob K.

Correct. The glider was a Vietnam veteran Q-Star which was then
returned to it's original Schweizer 2-32 specs and the original
airworthiness certificate by the late Bruce Miller. It's a really
nice glider with an interesting history - I have a fair number of
flights in it. Nice bit of flying on the part of the 2-32 pilot.

The collision is a really sad story with 'at least 3' and 'up to 5'
dead according to local TV news. I haven't heard anything about the
Pawnee either.
Old February 7th 10, 04:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Harry K

On Feb 6, 8:37*pm, bildan wrote:
[...]

A bit OT. Back in the early 90s when I was handling county dispatch a
navy A6 midaired with a crop duster near Colfax, Wa. (Actually nearer
to Diamond but that is just a railroad siding). A6 crew ejected, crop
duster crashed. Amazing part was everybody survived although the crop
duster was well broken up and took a lot of rehab.

Harry K
Old February 8th 10, 07:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
wright1902glider

CORRECTION:

NOT a Lockheed glider. Although that's what I was told it was by one
of the locals on the ramp about 3 years ago. Aparantly someone was
FOS.

It was a Schweizer 2-32. Not that it matters. The collision was
between the SR-20 and either the tow-line or the Piper itself. Two
fatal in the Cirrus, one in the Piper.

Harry F.

Piper Pawnee flying characteristics Mike A Soaring 5 March 18th 07 08:35 PM
WTB towhook release for Piper Pawnee [email protected] Soaring 2 November 22nd 06 03:29 PM
Hawker vs. Glider Midair - with photo! Larry Dighera Soaring 72 September 6th 06 02:03 PM
Piper Pawnee Parts Rod Pool Soaring 3 February 3rd 04 11:12 PM
Report on "Old" Glider/airliner midair? Jim Kellett Soaring 5 October 13th 03 02:20 PM