Hyabusa flat 8

Old March 5th 09, 07:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
bildan

Default Hyabusa flat 8

'been scratchin' some paper.

It looks like a 2.6L flat opposed 8-cylinder could be made will not
too much difficulty from two Suzuki Hyabusa motorcycle cylinder
blocks. The electronic fuel injected 'busa puts out about 130HP so
two theoretically could make 260HP.

With 8 cylinders, the power pulses overlap a little so wouldn't put
too much stress on a planetary PSRU in a nose case.

In the opposed configuration, the stock rods work so only the crank,
PSRU and case would have to be fabricated. CNC does that sort of
thing well.

The result would be smaller and lighter than an O-200 - although that
doesn't take the liquid cooling system into consideration. Still
scratchin' but this thing looks cool.
Old March 5th 09, 07:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb[_2_]

bildan wrote:
'been scratchin' some paper.

It looks like a 2.6L flat opposed 8-cylinder could be made will not
too much difficulty from two Suzuki Hyabusa motorcycle cylinder
blocks. The electronic fuel injected 'busa puts out about 130HP so
two theoretically could make 260HP.

With 8 cylinders, the power pulses overlap a little so wouldn't put
too much stress on a planetary PSRU in a nose case.

In the opposed configuration, the stock rods work so only the crank,
PSRU and case would have to be fabricated. CNC does that sort of
thing well.

The result would be smaller and lighter than an O-200 - although that
doesn't take the liquid cooling system into consideration. Still
scratchin' but this thing looks cool.

Report back when you have it running and the first 100 hours run ok.

THEN it would look cool.

Until then it's just another net fantasy...

Old March 5th 09, 07:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bob Kuykendall

On Mar 5, 11:31*am, bildan wrote:
'been scratchin' some paper.

It looks like a 2.6L flat opposed 8-cylinder could be made will not
too much difficulty from two Suzuki Hyabusa motorcycle cylinder
blocks...

Interesting. I'd like to see the SolidWorks and FEA on that crank, I
bet the webs and bearings get awful narrow when you go and double the
number of big ends strung along it.

Also, is there any credible evidence that this little motor actyally
does put out 130hp for any appreciable amount of time?

Having developed and raced tiny Formula IV road bikes, I came to
appreciate that the devil is in the details. And the more details you
have, the greater the opportunity for bedevilment.

The more I study airplane engines and their operating environment, the
more I come to appreciate the underrecognized genius of the big,
simple, slow-turning flat fours that came out of the 1930s. Parts you
leave on the ground will never break in flight.

Thanks again, Bob K.
www.hpaircraft.com/hp-24
Old March 5th 09, 09:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Maxwell[_2_]

"Bob Kuykendall" wrote in message
On Mar 5, 11:31 am, bildan wrote:
[...]

I have always been a big fan of alternative power plants, but Bob just said
a mouthful, and it's very well stated.

Forgive me for plagiarizing your analogy Bob, but I really like it.

Much like the sound barrier, there is a demon that lives in every PSRU.
Although several designs are quite promising these days, I still don't think
anyone has found the proper solution. They just can't compare to the overall
reliability of the status quo. It's a design thing, that has never been
resolve without adding too much weight.

Old March 5th 09, 09:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"bildan" wrote in message
'been scratchin' some paper.

It looks like a 2.6L flat opposed 8-cylinder could be made will not
too much difficulty from two Suzuki Hyabusa motorcycle cylinder
blocks. The electronic fuel injected 'busa puts out about 130HP so
two theoretically could make 260HP.

With 8 cylinders, the power pulses overlap a little so wouldn't put
too much stress on a planetary PSRU in a nose case.

In the opposed configuration, the stock rods work so only the crank,
PSRU and case would have to be fabricated. CNC does that sort of
thing well.

The result would be smaller and lighter than an O-200 - although that
doesn't take the liquid cooling system into consideration. Still
scratchin' but this thing looks cool.

Cool, indeed! How much do you think you would have to sell it for, if you
were to sell them?
--
Jim in NC

Old March 5th 09, 10:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
bildan

On Mar 5, 12:54*pm, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
On Mar 5, 11:31*am, bildan wrote:

[...]

The Hyabusa's 130HP from 1300cc is about the most conservative power
estimate there is. The bikes will go 180MPH as long as the fuel
lasts. The engine is considered bulletproof in the motorcycle
application.

Well, yes but the cylinder blocks aren't directly across from each
other being staggered for wider the webs. Unlike those slow turning
fours, there isn't much torque from each power pulse - just a whole
lot of them.

With a flat 8 you have the choice of a 'boxer' with each rod on its
own crank pin or the alternative with rods from opposing cylinders on
the same crank pin.
Old March 6th 09, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
bildan

On Mar 5, 11:31*am, bildan wrote:

[...]

I went to check and the 'advertised' HP for the Hyabusa is 191 from
1300cc.
Old March 6th 09, 02:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

In article
,

On Mar 5, 11:31*am, bildan wrote:

[...]

Is it supercharged? It MUST be a high-revving mother!

My 1967 Porsche 911S (normally-aspirated) gets 180 hp at 7500 RPM.

To reduce the displacement by 35% and add 5% power, there are only three
ways to do it:
1. Supercharging
2. High RPM
3. A combination of #1 and #2 above.

Old March 6th 09, 02:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

Default Hyabusa flat 8 (addendum)

In article
,
Orval Fairbairn wrote:

In article
,

On Mar 5, 11:31*am, bildan wrote:

[...]

It sounds as if you will have a very expensive grenade if you do it
wrong!

Old March 6th 09, 11:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,uk.rec.motorcycles
bod43

On 5 Mar, 21:57, "Morgans" wrote:
"bildan" wrote in message

'been scratchin' some paper.

It looks like a 2.6L flat opposed 8-cylinder could be made will not
too much difficulty from two Suzuki Hyabusa motorcycle cylinder
blocks. *The electronic fuel injected 'busa puts out about 130HP so
two theoretically could make 260HP.

With 8 cylinders, the power pulses overlap a little so wouldn't put
too much stress on a planetary PSRU in a nose case.

In the opposed configuration, the stock rods work so only the crank,
PSRU and case would have to be fabricated. *CNC does that sort of
thing well.

The result would be smaller and lighter than an O-200 - although that
doesn't take the liquid cooling system into consideration. *Still
scratchin' but this thing looks cool.

Cool, indeed! *How much do you think you would have to sell it for, if you
were to sell them?

I am not an expert but I doubt that there is any point in
doing a flat 8 when compared to the existing V8
conversions based on this engine.

The flat 4 Lycoming/Continental configuration makes sense
because of the number of cylinders and the use of air
cooling. I forget what way the crank is done but
it has at least tolerable balance and good enough
cooling of the rear cylinder.

The proposed Hyabusa flat 8 project does not seem
an advantage to the existing V8 Hyabusa conversions
that you can just go and buy today. A V8 (with a 2
plane crank as you would use) has perfect balance
and even firing. Due to water cooling there is no need
to consider cooling air flow round the cylinders.

What you just might do is increase the installed frontal area.

I have the idea that mechanical failure of the original 4 cyl
engines (or any high performance japanese bike engine) is
pretty much unheard of but I am not at all sure.

Maybe someone on uk.rec.motorcycles might have an
idea as to the expected life span of a hyabusa engine
when operated in a constant load regime,
say at 130bhp.

There I was, flat on my back... Kyle Boatright Home Built 5 August 16th 07 05:34 AM
Flat tire Viperdoc[_4_] Piloting 11 June 4th 07 02:57 PM
Flat Tires? Jay Honeck Owning 40 August 31st 05 01:59 AM
Wrinkly flat panels [email protected] Home Built 27 March 6th 04 02:12 PM
Flat Spin JJ Sinclair Soaring 34 February 10th 04 05:57 PM