More Drywall Gussets

Old December 16th 03, 03:55 AM
Nicholas Cafarelli

In my view paper based gussets are much easier to work with than
plywood. Cutting paper is a relatively clean and quick process
compared to preparing plywood gussets which require sanding. Some
might argue that the gluing is messier. On balance, I find I prefer
paper.

Given the low cost, easy availability, and low weight, I am surprised
they are not common on ultralight aircraft of wooden construction.

If you take a piece of paperboard, like from a cereal box, and pull on
it you will find it is quite strong in tension. I am convinced that
when paper is used as rib gussets, it is tensile strength which is
important. Plywood has an advantage in compression. Yet this
advantage is largely wasted in ribs.

The Heath Baby Bullet, which may have flown as fast as 200 mph in
dives used 1/32 inch thick gussets. I believe that thicker gussets
are often overkill.

When paperboard serves as gussets the tensile strength is enough for
many applications.

We know that columns fail in compression due to buckling. It seems
clear that gussets owe the larger part of their total strength to
tensile strength no matter what their material.

As always, materials and workmanship vary, so make your own thorough
tests.

It would seem advantageous to allow epoxy to soak into any paper
gusset.

nc