RICO VACS - is the schematic available anywhere?

Old July 30th 18, 07:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wyll Surf Air

Default RICO VACS - is the schematic available anywhere?

I have one that the audio still works on although I think the visual part is broken. If someone really wants it I could probably send it to them just for the price of shipping. I would just have to check with my partner in the glider that I pulled it out of.
Old July 30th 18, 10:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

On Monday, July 30, 2018 at 8:18:57 AM UTC-7, JS wrote:
Used to own one. Loved the casual sounding audio. Also the variable dead band.
But it's been about 30 years! That was almost the Bronze Age. Many other cool things have happened since then.

6PK et al:
Yes, flight computers should have the ability to do more with shaping the audio vario, even though a simple LX V3 I have proved it can sound identical to a CA302 in climb mode with no sink tone. To me the 302 became the reference for audio vario understandability around the Industrial Revolution, and still hangs in there.
Audio setup should include dead bands for cruise and climb, waveform, modulation, center frequency, frequency extremes, interruption frequency and percentage for up and down, level adjustment by airspeed, and overall equalisation (like Air-Glide's "bass boost" to make up for a typical small speaker).
While we're at it, how abut the ability to play back samples? Examples:
Every x minutes someone significant in your life can remind you to drink.
Or at a selectable altitude, that person, Darth Vader, or anyone reminds you to turn on O2, with an "OK, got it" response from the pilot.

Installing 30-year-old electronics in a glider will have maintenance issues. In the business I'm in, people talk about the sound and feel of "retro" equipment, but tend to forget about the inconvenient stuff. Example: An analog mixing console may sound better than a digital one, but takes six people to lift and doesn't fit in narrow-body aircraft.
Jim

Jim
I'm not advocating the reintroduction of an old antique instrument, and you are absolutely right it would be a giant step backwards.
What I was merely suggesting was that some of these high tech whiz-bang manufacturers shouldn't have much trouble reproducing something that actually works-namely the audio that all seemed to like, as they are constantly knocking and copying each other off anyways.
I recently, about a year ago "updated" from my old trusty 302 to a ClearNav xc vario, which is just as trusty by the way, although I'm still not all that convinced that it is all that it was quacked out to be.
It has a number of audio functions, I'm still not sure which one I like best as non of them are what I would call outstanding, but they all do make noise.
What the old Rico had to offer at least in the audio side was different from the others and seemed to make sense ( but than I'm just repeating myself)…...

Old July 31st 18, 02:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Sunday, July 29, 2018 at 7:32:31 PM UTC-4, 6PK wrote:

Flight computer/vario manufacturers are you listening??

Probably not.

The observation from a semi-inside guy is this: Just about everyone (from designer to end user) is willing to "go to the wall" over UI stuff, including audio. The result is that the designers grow a very stiff backbone over this... sometimes to the point of total intransigence. In my current cockpit, I can point to things that are pure brilliance, unusable, awkward, intuitive, broken / inoperative, idiotic, obsolete, "that seemed like a really good idea, but just doesn't work in the cockpit" and innovative / really cool. The designer / developer(s) won't change a goddamned thing except on his own whim.

It's quite frustrating. The big opportunity in sailplane instrumentation is UI.

Evan Ludeman
Old July 31st 18, 02:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, July 31, 2018 at 9:10:03 AM UTC-4, Tango Eight wrote:
[...]

I recall a long discussion with the designer/ developer of one of the most common glider nav/display products. I was an early adopter as I had been with this manufacturer form the beginning- all they way back to GPS-nav introduction.
When I described how a couple of important functions could be changed to work better for me, and I thought most pilots, his response was "That's not how I fly". GRRRRRRRRR
That said, it is really hard so satisfy everybody.
Simplicity
Feature rich.
Which one do you want?
Sigh
UH
Old July 31st 18, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, July 31, 2018 at 9:49:23 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Thing is, in the current instruments that are software-based, they COULD make (almost) everybody happy, by allowing the users to choose their own settings. They do that to some extent, but could go much farther. That doesn't necessarily make the thing hard to use - one is free to leave the settings on their defaults, or, one can change them once and then leave them alone..

One advantage of open-source is that if you don't like the UI you can choose another, or build your own. Thus for example I use Tophat rather than XCSoar, for the better (IMO) UI - they are both based on the same core software.

Old July 31st 18, 04:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

As Moshe implies, "one" can be:
Feature rich in setup.
Simplicity in operation.

One big problem is our reluctance to shift our frame of reference.
Old references (like the 2-33) don't work in the age of phone apps.
Jim

On Tuesday, July 31, 2018 at 6:49:23 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Simplicity
Feature rich.
Which one do you want?
Sigh
UH

Old July 31st 18, 06:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Tuesday, July 31, 2018 at 11:29:12 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Commercial stuff, e.g. CN2 about 10x better where it matters most (in the cockpit, on task) than any currently available open source navigation solution, particularly as regards UI. That isn't the device I was complaining about :-). I used XCS & TopHat as primary nav tool for 11 contests iirc. I'm familiar with the genre.

T8
Old July 31st 18, 11:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

On Tuesday, July 31, 2018 at 11:34:02 AM UTC-6, Tango Eight wrote:
[...]

Evan,

In which way(s) is CN2 10X better than XCSoar or Top Hat?

Regards,

Mike Carris
Old July 31st 18, 11:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Tuesday, July 31, 2018 at 6:14:00 PM UTC-4, Mike C wrote:
[...]

Short answer is: I spend 0.1x time getting the info I need. Eyes stay outside.

Evan Ludeman