SOLO flight rules

Old September 4th 03, 03:41 PM
Gig Giacona

Default SOLO flight rules

You will have to be signed off by and instructor for that aircraft. Do you
already own a flyable Scorpion? You will most likely have to get back in the
R22 for your check ride.

wrote in message

Does anybody know for sure what the rules are on flying SOLO on a
student license?

What I want to do is finish my dual instruction in an R22 (the only
heli the schools around here have). Then I want to complete my
required solo hours in my own scorpion to save money.

Can I do this?

Dennis H.

Dennis Hawkins
n4mwd AT amsat DOT org (humans know what to do)

"A Recession is when you know somebody who is out of work.
A Depression is when YOU are out of work.
A Recovery is when all the H1-B's are out of work."
(An H-1B is someone who is brought into the USA to replace
American workers at a fraction of the wage.)

Old September 6th 03, 12:33 PM
Stu Fields

I had two Scorpion ones and sold them to a guy who had an A&P try to get
them going. They still have not been in the air. He had a lot of trouble
with slipping tail rotor belts. There are some problems with the old rotor
head. B.J Schramm, the designer should be contacted about those problems.
I believe I heard him tell one person not to fly the version with the looped
cable in the head. I used to fly a Benson gyro with a McCullough engine.
It was a quiet sewing machine compared to the sound of the Evinrude engine
in the Scorpion. Be very careful.
Stu Fields
wrote in message
"Gig Giacona" wrote:

You will have to be signed off by and instructor for that aircraft. Do

you
already own a flyable Scorpion? You will most likely have to get back in

the
R22 for your check ride.

My scorpion is a single seater and is not completely restored yet. I
checked with Rotorway, but it does not seem that there is any way to
get instruction in a scorpion one. I wonder if a scorpion 2 is close
enough. The scopion 2 and scorpion one are basically the same
helicopter with the 2 being bigger and wider.

It is starting to look like I'm going to have to get my certificate by
soloing in the R22 and then just switch to the scorpion afterwards.
It seems like thats a waste of money though since I will have to
relearn everything in the scorpion.

I have all the parts to the scorpion one, but I am not sure what to do
with the rotor blades. It looks like there are fine cracks in the
composite. I wonder if simply recoating them with new resin will be
good enough or if I have to rewrap them. They only have about 25
hours on them.

I will also say that the scorpion 1 was definitely not designed for
people with normal length legs. Its a real pain getting in and out of
it.

Dennis H.

Dennis Hawkins
n4mwd AT amsat DOT org (humans know what to do)

"A RECESSION is when you know somebody who is out of work.
A DEPRESSION is when YOU are out of work.
A RECOVERY is when all the H-1B's are out of work."
To find out what an H-1B is and how they are putting
Americans out of work, visit the following web site
and click on the "Exporting America" CNN news video:
http://zazona.com/ShameH1B/MediaClips.htm

Old September 6th 03, 06:06 PM

Most of the problems with the one I have are due to age. A lot of the
aluminum parts have surface oxidation that must be hand removed and
polished. I am planning on having all the aluminum parts hard
anodized so that they don't do that again.

The tail rotor slider mechanism was rusted and I had to work it pretty
hard to get it going again. I am planning on having the TR shaft hard
chrome plated so that it will wear better.

The steel frame is actually in remarkable shape. I'm not sure what
they used to paint it, but I hope to get something that good to
repaint it.

The only components that I am really worried about are the blades.
They only have about 25 hours on them, but also have age cracks in the
composite.

I haven't contacted BJ about the Scorpion One. I don't think he would
have time to talk to me since he is very busy with his helicycle
project. I have the blueprints for the Scorpion 2 and was considering
getting those for the One, but the One is almost identical to the 2 so
I'm not sure if I should bother.

The bent cable is for the collective. Its a nutty way of doing
things, but it does work. Its just not as good as a regular system.
The only real problem with the bent cable rotor head is that it does
not use elastomeric bearings. It uses unsealed thrust bearings
instead. However, because of the way the cable head works, they only
move when you actually move the collective. I'll probably have to
spend a bit of time every few hours of operation greasing them, but a
friend showed me a trick where I can grease them easily with a
hypodermic needle. Hopefully that will make operating it more
manageable.

I'm still not sure what to do about the license.

Dennis H.

Old September 8th 03, 10:13 PM
PW

wrote in message
"Gig Giacona" wrote:

[...]

Dennis,

Do you have a PPL? If so, except for safety, you don't need anything for
the rotorcraft.

Phil

Old September 9th 03, 01:04 PM

"PW" wrote:

Dennis,

Do you have a PPL? If so, except for safety, you don't need anything for
the rotorcraft.

Phil

I assume that you mean a private pilot license for helicopters. No.
I haven't gotten that far. I'm still learning in the R22.

I have had some people tell me that the scorpions were much harder to
fly than the R22 and others tell me that they were easier. I'm
totally confused.

Old September 9th 03, 11:32 PM
Treetopper

Dennis, I think he was trying to tell you you don't have to have a catagory
license to fly a single seat helicopter. Only a rating with that of a power
plant included is required and a SEL will suffice. You can not fly a two
seat though even if solo with out the Rotorcraft-Helicopter rating.

Jim

Old September 10th 03, 07:53 PM

"Treetopper" wrote:

Dennis, I think he was trying to tell you you don't have to have a catagory
license to fly a single seat helicopter. Only a rating with that of a power
plant included is required and a SEL will suffice. You can not fly a two
seat though even if solo with out the Rotorcraft-Helicopter rating.

So now you have me curious. Hypothetically speaking. If a guy, for
whatever reason, is a really good helicopter pilot but does not have a
license, who then subsequently gets a US fixed wing private pilot
license, can he legally fly a helicopter?

Old September 10th 03, 09:50 PM
Kris Kortokrax

wrote in message

So now you have me curious. Hypothetically speaking. If a guy, for
whatever reason, is a really good helicopter pilot but does not have a
license, who then subsequently gets a US fixed wing private pilot
license, can he legally fly a helicopter?

Per 61.31(k)(2)(iii), yes, but only if it is an experimental aircraft, and
if the DAR or inspector who signs the airworthiness certificate neglects to
place a limitation in the aircraft's paperwork that would require category &
class ratings on the pilot's certificate.

Kris

61.31 (k) Exceptions.
(2) The rating limitations of this section do not apply to -
(iii) The holder of a pilot certificate when operating an aircraft under the
authority of an experimental or provisional aircraft type certificate;

Old September 13th 03, 08:39 AM
Ken Sandyeggo

wrote in message

So now you have me curious. Hypothetically speaking. If a guy, for
whatever reason, is a really good helicopter pilot but does not have a
license, who then subsequently gets a US fixed wing private pilot
license, can he legally fly a helicopter?

Per 61.31(k)(2)(iii), yes, but only if it is an experimental aircraft, and
if the DAR or inspector who signs the airworthiness certificate neglects to
place a limitation in the aircraft's paperwork that would require category &
class ratings on the pilot's certificate.

Kris

61.31 (k) Exceptions.
(2) The rating limitations of this section do not apply to -
(iii) The holder of a pilot certificate when operating an aircraft under the
authority of an experimental or provisional aircraft type certificate;

Just a point of curiousity. Accepting payment for flight instruction
in an experimental has been illegal unless it was a gyro with the PRA
exemption. I believe the rules have changed recently, but how did
Rotorway get away with giving lessons at their factory for all those
years in experimental helicopters? Did they say it was "free" if you
bought and built a kit?

Kris, what you posted is correct, but many people interpret that when
the OLs say something about proper category and class ratings in an
experimental rotorcraft's OLs, that it just means a proper rating
period, as in a fixed-wing or other rating requiring a medical. They
never say specifically what type of rating as far as I know.

This is something that will be argued until the end of the world it
seems, as a straight answer cannot usually be gotten from the FAA that
isn't contradicted by some other FAA poobah.

Ken J. - Sandy A. Gowe