Chopper crash

Old May 25th 06, 11:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

Default Settling with power Chopper crash

The OTHER Kevin in San Diego wrote:

I wanna hear about walking into the Sheriff's office with a
mini-gun....

...and where the hell did the clerk run off to when you did???

I just responded to an earlier message but the clerk disappeared out of
a side door into the office section. I wasn't too long that an Officer
appeared and looked to make sure the minigun was on the floor.

--

boB
Wing 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
Old May 26th 06, 11:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

The OTHER Kevin in San Diego wrote:
On Thu, 25 May 2006 22:06:35 GMT, boB
wrote:

Yeah, the loan isn't too bad. Just a tick over $400/month. I just
got a raise which is about that much each month so I figure the
company is paying it back now. I toss in a few extra bucks when I
can and that extra bit goes right to the principal..

I've got a friend who knows everyone there is to know in aviation and
he's already got me interviews lined up for when I get my CFI-H. He
did talk to Papillion last week about getting me in there but I need
about 400 more PIC hours before they'd hire me. Damned insurance
companies... Did PHI send her to the Bell course or was that on her
dime?

I didn't ask. But I assumed, by the way she was talking that she went on
her own. I guess it was an investment which paid off. Papillon goes
through several pilots a season. Chuck was the Chief Pilot back then
(damn, it was 10 years ago) and he was left holding the bag so to speak
when pilots up and went with short notice since he recommended whether
to hire or not. After a couple months I received a request for an
interview with PHI but I asked them if they would put a hold on my
interview because if I left, Chuck would be left holding another bag so
to speak. It worked out great in the end because I met my wife when
she booked a flight on my aircraft. If I had gone to PHI I would never
have met her. Almost at the end of the season Chuck asked me if I would
like to work full time. I told him I would sleep on it and finally
decided to move to Germany for a while with Gabriella. She was a German
tourist on a tour of the southwest USA when I met her. Chuck told me he
could give me a few months off but I was expecting to be in Stuttgart
for much longer than that. My Army retirement was/is more per month than
I was getting at the Canyon anyway. But after the first year the pay at
Papillon went up quite a bit. It would be a great job for hour building
and not bad money after the first year. Very good people there, (at
least 10 years ago)

PS.. I gotta say there was one bad thing flying the Canyon. When it got
windy - 40 knots or so - the turbulence was "disturbing". I had never
had turbulence slam me sideways into the door before flying there. One
day the company asked me on the company freq how bad the bumps were on
the long route and I told them I usually liked having control of the
aircraft most of the time. They shut down the long route. There were
many a scream in my aircraft during the windy season.

--

boB
Wing 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
Old May 26th 06, 01:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

"boB" wrote in message news:vUAdg.60153
I didn't ask. But I assumed, by the way she was talking that she went on
her own. I guess it was an investment which paid off.

This is not a bad idea. a 206B Transistion costs $9000 and takes 5 days. Its
worth every penny even if you never fly a 206 again. You'll learn _real_
stuff, not just the pantywaisted version of stuff reqd to get a ticket these
days. All the IPs there are as good as it gets in the rotorcraft world.

Its not uncommon for a smart pro-pilot to pay for his own transistion
training. We're overly familiar with the corporate jet world, and a lot of
guys/gals go to Flight-Saftety on their own dime. If you think 206
transition is expensive, imagine paying $20K out-of-pocket for a single jet
type-rating.

The other advantage to paying yourself is that you wont be hamstrung by the
employer. Most companies will keep you on a short leash by either requring
you to do mundane stuff for a long time before theyll pay for the Type,
and/or by binding you up contractually after they pay for it. This weird
form of endentured servitude is really common among newbie first officers in
aviation. For all practical purposes, turbine helicopters might as well
require a Type rating, cuz you'll never fly one unless you've gone to
transistion training and yearly re-current in each type. The 206 "Type" will
put you in a different postition when looking for a job. ( I'm not saying it
will get you one though, typically you'll need about 1200 Rotor and 200+
Turbine to get a turbine job. )

Bart

Old May 27th 06, 01:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net wrote in
message ...
On Fri, 26 May 2006 08:01:34 -0400, "B4RT"
wrote:

The other advantage to paying yourself is that you wont be hamstrung by
the
employer. Most companies will keep you on a short leash by either requring
you to do mundane stuff for a long time before theyll pay for the Type,
and/or by binding you up contractually after they pay for it.

Yeah, that's pretty typical. I used to work for a chop that said
they'd pay for my Novell Netware certification, but I'd have to stick
with them for two years after I got my cert. I said no thanks, I'll
do it on my own.

Very smart choice on your part. My work has been requiring new hires to
sign "pre-employment" contracts in order to be hired. "That" has blown up
in more than a few of their faces. Once they've got you under that
financial obligation, then they can treat you any way they want, figuring
there's nothing you can do about it.

It makes for a **** poor working environment and "very" unhappy employees!

VQ-1's P4M-1Q crash off China - 1956 Mike Naval Aviation 0 May 6th 06 11:13 PM
Pilot claims no blame in July crash Mortimer Schnerd, RN Piloting 48 March 15th 06 10:00 PM
Air Force One Had to Intercept Some Inadvertent Flyers / How? Rick Umali Piloting 29 February 15th 06 05:40 AM
Yet another A36 crash H.P. Piloting 10 April 23rd 05 05:58 PM
Is this chopper about to crash? Trentus Rotorcraft 13 January 12th 04 08:56 AM