2014 US Modern and US Club Class Nationals - Assigned Task calledtoday! FANTASTIC!

Old August 6th 14, 02:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult[_2_]

Default 2014 US Modern and US Club Class Nationals - Assigned Task called today! FANTASTIC!

On 2014-08-06 13:08:24 +0000, Sean Fidler said:

Noel?

It's been weeks now with absolutely no response from you about your
statement "pilots don't understand what tasking is supposed to measure"
etc.

I expect what is measured is an ability to read, understand, and
optimise for the rules currently in force...

Old August 6th 14, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Thanks Bruce. Noel? Waiting patiently for your response. Sean
Old August 7th 14, 03:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SteveB_Z5

On Wednesday, August 6, 2014 11:38:06 AM UTC-7, Sean Fidler wrote:
Thanks Bruce. Noel? Waiting patiently for your response. Sean

Maybe if you ask him 50 or 100 more times he will answer. I for one am looking forward to seeing all those posts.
Old August 7th 14, 09:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

Sean -

Being pushy, impatient, and having no regard for other people's priorities or time does not encourage me or anyone else to indulge you.

It has been neither weeks nor has my situation changed. I'm only posting here now (with 5 minutes to spare at 2am in bed on my phone trying to get some sleep) so that you know I've seen your requests.

I'll write a thoughtful, complete, considered response as soon as I can.

NOT for you and your rudeness; but because other pilots deserve the information.

--Noel
Old August 7th 14, 03:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Noel,

I can't imagine what was rude. I have politely been asking you to explain your statement for the benefit of all interested in the topic of Pure Assigned Tasking. I think you might be more worried about this than you need to be.

I am truly interested in your response. I think it will be very enjoyable to read.

As we have both mentioned before, there is probably no clear right or wrong answer here. Much of this discussion is about subjective opinion. I am interested in the objective side of the discussion and wish to discuss the mechanics (and the many false impressions I believe exist) about the variability in decision making process between the two task types in terms of 1) requirements to time your finish accurately and the impact of a mistake 2) variability in time/weather and terrain (chance/skill/luck) and impact of a "mistake" 3) options in track (wide track variance still occurs on assigned tasks, plenty of choices and challenges).

Keep in mind that AT's are mainly called on the good weather days. I am not arguing for them on poor or highly variable days.

Sean

Old August 9th 14, 02:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_3_]

Sailboats have wednesday regattas. I'm not sure why we don't do weekend races. We could make them fully sanctioned, run by SSA rules; call them "local" (i.e. less than "regional.") They could be just one day even. Who cares. The key -- run them exactly the same way we run regular SSA races, post the results on the website, etc. We've talked about it at RC, the question is anyone interested in upping the level of the many local informal meets this way.
John Cochrane
Old August 9th 14, 04:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sarah Arnold

Every SSA sanctioned contest requires the organizer purchase insurance to cover that specific event. The cost of that was $525 last year. This plus sanction fees makes the local fully sanctioned small weekend contest cost prohibitive.

Sarah Arnold
Old August 9th 14, 05:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, August 8, 2014 8:28:50 PM UTC-7, Sarah Arnold wrote:
Every SSA sanctioned contest requires the organizer purchase insurance to cover that specific event. The cost of that was $525 last year. This plus sanction fees makes the local fully sanctioned small weekend contest cost prohibitive.

Sarah Arnold

Lots of soaring organizations of one kind or another do contests of one kind or another today, so some form of informal racing already happens today. Most are weekend affairs and many contest series run the entire summer. We should look into what a cut-down approach to less-than-regional contests might look like - if it's different from what already happens today.

There are some early discussion ongoing about how to make racing more time-efficient and less travel-intensive.

(written from my motel room in Nephi, UT - ~800 miles from home)