What to do about North Korea...?

Old July 7th 06, 10:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Default What to do about North Korea...?

Thomas Borchert wrote:

Matt,

but I DO believe they had WMD

Hardly a matter of belief. There are none. Period.

Bull. Moving them to Iran or elsewhere wouldn't have been hard nor is
burying them in the desert where it might take decades to find them if
they are ever found.

Matt
Old July 7th 06, 10:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Matt Barrow wrote:

"David Dyer-Bennet" wrote in message

I was sort of hoping we'd use this occasion for some live tests of our
anti-missile laser and missile systems. It would be nice to have some
free targets for a change.

Sure, but so embarrassing when it doesn't work!

Not as embarrassing as when they fail in a real crisis because they never
conducted a fully operational test.

In what crises would they work? If they succeeded in sending even one
to the US, their entire country would be leveled within minutes. What
advantage is that to them?

Matt
Old July 7th 06, 10:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

For all our use of this buzz word "democracy", what we really need to be
spreading around the world is the concept of "respect for rights".

Does this include the right of a nation to be soverign over its people?

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old July 7th 06, 10:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Jose wrote:

For all our use of this buzz word "democracy", what we really need to be
spreading around the world is the concept of "respect for rights".

Does this include the right of a nation to be soverign over its people?

Yes, it does as long as they aren't threatening other countries. Iraq
did this in 1990 and I think the invasion then was warranted. I think
we should have went after Saddam then when we had good justification,

This is the main reason I don't agree with the more recent Iraq invasion
as I don't think we had sufficient justification at that time that Iraq
was a threat to us.

Matt
Old July 7th 06, 10:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Gideon

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 21:12:36 +0000, Jose wrote:

Does this include the right of a nation to be soverign over its people?

I was less than clear: I was referring to rights of people. Not
corporate entities. Not national entities. Human entities.

I've no problem with artificial beings (ie. corporations and such) being
granted rights of a sort, mind you. But those are artifacts which, like
"democracy", can only be good things if done w/in the context of rights of
human people.

However, I am also aware that this perspective is simplistic. The right
to self-determination, for example, has certain complexities when people
live in groups. It would be hard, for example, for one citizen of my town
to secede from the US.

Nevertheless, I believe that respect for human rights is a necessary
condition in keeping a democracy from being nothing more than a tyranny
of the majority.

- Andrew

Old July 7th 06, 10:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

Does this include the right of a nation to be soverign over its people?

Yes, it does as long as they aren't threatening other countries.

Does this include us?

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old July 7th 06, 11:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

In article ,
Thomas Borchert wrote:

John,
I like your style ;-)

I am half second generation American from German and Hungarian
immigrants.
I have aunts, uncles and cousins in Germany.
I lived with my great aunt and worked as a praktikant for a year in
Germany. (Firme Albert Siebdruck Fabrik, Frankenthal, Rhineland Pfalz)
I worked and played with Germans and other immigrants when I lived there.
I spoke German the entire time I lived there.
I had some very interesting political discussions with my relatives and
my co-workers and teammates when I lived there. It was an education I
would not have received in this country.
I remember asking one of my co-workers what he thought about the
American military still being in Germany. His response was, "Better than
the Russians."
Old July 8th 06, 12:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke

"Jay Honeck" wrote:

I suppose you think that the fact that they are blowing each other up
with increasing regularity is some sort of an accident? D'oh!

I'm certain that we've got hundreds of agents all over the Middle East,
sewing the seeds of discontent between the two sects. Anyone who
studies history knows that the best way to fight an enemy is to get
them to rot from within...and that is precisely what is happening in
Iraq.

So all of Bush's talk about creating a stable democracy in Iraq is just a
big lie, then?

Well, that explains the 50 murdered corpses showing up every day at the
Baghdad morgue--it's America's doing! We *actually* went there to create a
genocidal civil war!

I guess it makes as much sense as any of the other reasons we've been given.

--
Dan

"These are exciting times for the Iraqi people!"
-George W. Bush

Old July 8th 06, 01:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_1_]

"Neil Gould" wrote in message
. com...
Recently, Jay Honeck posted:

When was that last time you spent any time in one of our major inner
cities, Jay? What do you *know* of living there? What do you *know* of
what is and isn't "rational behavior" there? From your comments, I'd say
you've spent no time in that environment; is that incorrect?

Life in those areas has been pretty much the same ever since such areas
were built, and the reason for the violence in those areas is pretty much
unchanged too.

Unmitigated BS! Read Thomas Sowell's story about Harlem specifically (upper
middle class blacks moved there to get away from the Irish and Italians) and
the entirety of 'Migrations and Cultures: A World View' to dispel that
nonsense.

Old July 8th 06, 02:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Jose wrote:

Does this include the right of a nation to be soverign over its people?

Yes, it does as long as they aren't threatening other countries.

Does this include us?

Sure. What is your point?

Matt