Is 91.175 enforced in the USA?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 20th 06, 10:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Chris

Default Is 91.175 enforced in the USA?

"Peter" wrote in message
This is the reg which prevents flying instrument approaches unless it
is a published one.

In the UK, this is not illegal (on G-reg aircraft). But then we don't
get the radar services here, etc.

well that is news to me! If you fly in IMC, IFR in uncontrolled airspace
then the IF rules specify ground clearances etc so descents have to be in
line with those. There is no problem setting up a descent to bring you under
cloud providing that whilst in cloud you remain 1000 feet above the highest
obstacle within five miles either side of your track and once through the
cloud are in VFR conditions.

Home made approaches will get you prosecuted by the CAA if they catch you
and the sanctions are far tougher than the FAA do. (For our US friends we
don't have administrative sanctions such as a suspension of certificate. we
end up in court invariably lose and have to pay the CAA's costs and have a
criminal record). If you have an accident be sure the insurance will not pay
either.

The proper procedure is to make an instrument approach at an airfield with a
published instrument approach and if possible continue VFR to the airfield
you want. If you cannot continue VFR then land and wait and worry about the
$200 landing costs after you have landed safely.

we have a number of airfield whose published approaches are in uncontrolled
airspace eg Southend, Cambridge, Oxford, Cranfield, Exeter, Doncaster as
well as those in Class D airspace (our class D is operated like US class B)

Flight conditions are either VMC or IMC. There is no such thing as MVFR.

even if it is OK to fly a G reg as you say, it is not Ok to fly an N reg
even if the N reg is in the UK it has to follow the FARs.