PPL question payment for flight

Old July 23rd 03, 03:51 AM
Peter Duniho

"Peter Gottlieb" wrote in message
. net...
[...] I use common sense to guide my actions and
generally will make any flight that I can.

I think that especially if you are right, but even if the rules *can* be
followed exactly, that's a very sensible approach.

Old July 23rd 03, 03:02 PM
Teacherjh

I think it's a stretch to think that the FAA would find you to be "holding
out" to your own wife.

Based on what I've read about this, I think the FAA stretches things.

Jose

Old July 23rd 03, 10:13 PM
John Galban

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message ...
"J. Hansen" wrote in message
om...
There is something close. In NTSB order (EA-4791), a private pilot

transported
a mechanic for a medical air transportation service to repair one of their
stranded helicopters.

Yes, I read about that in AOPA Pilot (if it's the same one I recall). It's
not a relevant example though, because what tripped the pilot up was the
"for hire" clause, not the "for compensation" clause.

One other thing to note in this example. The whole debacle started
because the maintenance company owner (the mechanic's employer)
attempted to include transportation charges for the mechanic in his
bill to the medical transport service.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)
Old July 23rd 03, 10:29 PM
Ron Natalie

"Steve House" wrote in message ...
I'm curious - if the pilot in question happens to hold a commercial license
but everything else is the same - ie, the flight does not take place in the
course of the operation of a business but is more like "Hey Joe, you're a
pilot. I've gotta get my mechanic over to XYZ in a hurry - if you rent a
plane to take him, I'll cover all the costs of the trip and give you $50
for your trouble" does the flight and the financial transactions now become
legal if the pilot holds a commercial ticket?

It might be. If the pilot flies someone for hire, he most likely needs a 135
certificate. If the company has a plane and they say, hey I need you to
fly our mechanic in one of our planes, then it's ok with just the commercial.