GPS Visualizer can finally create JPEGs!

Old August 13th 04, 08:48 AM
Adam Schneider

Default GPS Visualizer can finally create JPEGs!

Hi geo-people,

The good news is, as the subject says, GPS Visualizer -- my free,
platform-independent, web-based tool for plotting GPS track and
waypoint data -- can now convert your SVG drawings to JPEG format,
which will make it much easier to put your maps on Web pages,
e-mail them, etc.

The slightly bad news is that, for now at least, it's not a seamless
process: you still have to create an SVG first, then upload it.
The other bad news is that it will NOT work with the "Europe and US:
street level" backgrounds that a lot of people use. (It's a legal
rather than a technical issue: those maps are copyrighted, so I'm
not going to have my server download and re-save them for you.)
On the other hand, the USGS topo, aerial, and color "urban area" maps,
as well as Landsat, ARE available for conversion, and they look great.

Overall, it's a nice step forward, feature-wise. Just make a map
or profile, then click on the "localizer" link that comes up next to
your drawing. PLEASE let me know if something goes wrong; I hate it
when there are bugs floating around that I don't know about.

And of course, if you haven't even heard of GPS Visualizer before,
please drop by and check it out at http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/.
As I said earlier, it's free, and it supports a whole boatload of
GPS data file formats.

Adam Schneider
adamschneider.net

..
Old August 13th 04, 02:54 PM
John Bell

Adam,

www.gpsvisualizer.com is a cool site.

Thanks for the effort.

John Bell
www.cockpitgps.com

Old August 13th 04, 11:57 PM
Robert J Batina

Adam Schneider spewed:
Overall, it's a nice step forward, feature-wise. Just make a map
or profile, then click on the "localizer" link that comes up next to
your drawing. PLEASE let me know if something goes wrong; I hate it
when there are bugs floating around that I don't know about.

Ahh... glad to hear. I was doing the roundabout method of doing a "print
screen" then opening a paint proggy, pasting as a new image, saving as a
JPEG, etc. I guess it's still a bit roundabout-ish (heh) but I'm betting
I'll be able to save images larger than my monitor resolution if/when I
need. EXcellent.

--
The Toe Pages:
http://www.rubbertoe.com

Old August 14th 04, 05:34 AM
Adam Schneider

Robert J Batina wrote:

Adam Schneider spewed:
Overall, it's a nice step forward, feature-wise. Just make a map
or profile, then click on the "localizer" link that comes up next to
your drawing. PLEASE let me know if something goes wrong; I hate it
when there are bugs floating around that I don't know about.

Ahh... glad to hear. I was doing the roundabout method of doing a "print
screen" then opening a paint proggy, pasting as a new image, saving as a
JPEG, etc. I guess it's still a bit roundabout-ish (heh) but I'm betting
I'll be able to save images larger than my monitor resolution if/when I
need.

Depends on your monitor resolution. For the most part, yes, you'll
be able to easily create JPEGs bigger than your screen. However, if
you try to make one that's TOO big, the SVG-to-JPEG conversion program
will choke and you'll get nothing.

Adam Schneider

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/

..