INS-422

Old March 10th 04, 07:46 PM
N7155A

Default INS-422

I'm thinking of buying and installing one of these in our 150 to do
some CFI-I work.

http://www.valavionics.com/ins_422.htm.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo.../valins422.php

N10681 has a cessna 300 navcom. I wanting a 2nd VOR, GS, and MB to
allow instrument instruction/proficiency...

1. add INS 422 non-TSO at $2200
- antenna splitter ant vor1,vor2,GS - $100
- MB antenna $100
- 337 by IA: $100
- Total $2500

2. add INS 422 TSO at $3000
- antenna splitter ant vor1,vor2,GS - $100
- MB antenna $100
- 337 by IA: $100
- Total $3300

3. Install new radio:
- Michel TKM MX300: $1500
- GS reciever: $ 600
- Michel M60 indicator $ 600
- Used audio panel/MB $ 600
- 337 by IA: $ 100
Total $3400

4. Install INS430, sell Cessna 300
- INS 430 from JA Center: $6000
- Indicator for IFR $1400
- Sell Cessna300+ind $-600
- 337 by IA: $ 100
Total $6900

What do you all think?

Mitch
Old March 10th 04, 09:30 PM
Jay Honeck

What do you all think?

Don't you need field approval to install a non-approved VOR/Glideslope?

I didn't see that it was STC'd for a 150.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 11th 04, 12:25 AM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
N7155A wrote:
I'm thinking of buying and installing one of these in our 150 to do
some CFI-I work.

http://www.valavionics.com/ins_422.htm

I wouldn't try to train a student using one of those things. It might
be a nice backup for your own plane, but think of all the ways you
teach an instrument student to use the OBS to work out intercept courses.

Looking at eBay suggests you can get a used KX-155 w/GS and indicator
for about the same price as that standalone unit. You get another COM,
with flipflop, nav with flipflop and a real indicator.

There are lots of ways to get 3LMB (eg RST's kit) including a new audio
panel.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old March 11th 04, 05:33 AM
Ross Oliver

Assuming you have room in your panel, a much better value
for $2K would be a KNS-80 + KI-209. Blow off the marker beacons,
and you get DME as a bonus. This is the configuration I opted
for about 18 months ago, and successfully completed all my
IFR traning and passed the checkride. After experiencing flying
approaches with analog needles, IMHO it would be much more
difficult to "freeze the needle" using only discrete LEDs.

Happy landings,
Ross Oliver
Old March 11th 04, 05:22 PM
Tom Cummings

Mitch wrote:
4. Install INS430, sell Cessna 300
- INS 430 from JA Center: $6000

I can't find any description for a INS430.
What is it and where can find some info?
Thanks,
Tom Cummings.

Old March 11th 04, 06:40 PM
Bruce Cunningham

There has been alot of discussion about this on the Cardinal Flyers
website digest, and it turns out that for part 91 ops you don't need
TSO'd equipment, only if you are part 135(comercial). To support this,
the KX-170B is not a TSO'd unit, only the KX-175 version is, and the
170 is used extensively for IFR. I was thinking about doing this
myself, as the 422 will get most of the equipment needs fullfilled. I
have used the VAL 760 comm for 6 years and it has worked great with no
problems even though several people told me they were not worth much
when I was considering buying it(it was their opinions that weren't
worth much). Also, American Avionics in Seattle has the 422 for $1950
in their spring flyer. When I checked with Spruce a few months ago,
VAL only made the TSO version any more, and it was $2127 for the TSO
version, or so they said. Check it out, call them. If you go this
route, you will have new equipment instead of old.

Regards