C172/175/177 diff?

Old January 15th 05, 02:16 AM
John T

Default C172/175/177 diff?

I've been flying nothing but 172's. Whats different about the C175 and 177?

John

Old January 15th 05, 03:03 AM
Dave D

Yeah, me too. My club has a 177RG. It looks so cool. What's the difference
in performance, maintainance, and operating cost between it and a 182?

Dave

Old January 15th 05, 03:47 AM
Walt Fee

Haven't flown either but did some research:

C-175: uses a geared engine which didn't do so well in the field (wide
opinions on why - some love it, some hate it, many are converted over to
O-360 engines). It's essentially a 172 airframe but cruises faster
(5-10 kts) and with a bit more useful load (don't quote me on the
latter). Otherwise, haven't heard of much difference in other ops
performance (useful load, handling, etc). Operating costs depend a lot
on how the engine has been run - definitely a research item.

C-177: very different. Cardinalflyers.com has extensive resources on
the history. The basic research is accessible to non-members. Overall,
it's a much different beast than the 172. The cabin is wider/more
comfortable, it sits lower and the doors are huge. The airframe has a
lot less drag and handling is said to be much smoother. Operating costs
for the fixed gear version aren't significantly more than a 172. The
1st year (1968)had a 150hp engine that left in underpowered. It'll hold
3 people and cruise a couple knots faster than a 172 but hot/high
performance must be examined before flight. The '69 model had a 180hp
fixed-pitch and lots of other improvements. It'll outspeed a 172 with
no problem and has much better useful load. The fixed-gear versions
after that had a constant-speed props but a different wing so not sure
if there's a speed gain (not much). The retractables are 10-15 kts
faster and feature 200hp in the later models. It won't haul as much as
a 182 but you'll burn less gas and have more elbow room for the ride.
The underpowered 1st year gave the design a bad rap.

My $.02.

Walt

Old January 15th 05, 04:50 AM
Newps

The C177 RG will cost more for the same speed. Insurance will cost a
lot more. The gear is delicate on a C177, if you need to replace the
gear saddles you will spend thousands. The 182 gear is built like a
brick ****house in comparison. The 182 will cost you 1-2 gph more in
cruise. The C177 has a lot less runway performance than a 182.

Old January 15th 05, 01:41 PM
Stephen N Mills

The gear is NOT "delicate" on the 177RG. And two years ago I repaired
the gear saddles on our Cardinal at a cost of three hours time and $25
in materials thanks to the information on the Cardinal Flyers Online
group. (Cessna wanted $1100 for new parts replacable in less than one
hour, total cost about $1200. Expensive, but not 'thousands')

How about no struts, cruise at 130K on 9gph, large cabin, ........

Sounds like you don't really know of which you speak.

Anyone wanting *accurate* information on Cardinals (FG or RG) should
look at the information supplied by those who DO know:
www.cardinalflyers.com

- Steve
N2679V ('Vicky') Cardinal RG '75 @ PDK, Atlanta

Old January 15th 05, 03:23 PM
John T

Thats just the kind of basic info I was looking for, thanks!

John

Old January 15th 05, 04:38 PM
Newps

Stephen N Mills wrote:
The gear is NOT "delicate" on the 177RG.

All Cessna single engine RG gear is delicate,

And two years ago I repaired
the gear saddles on our Cardinal at a cost of three hours time and $25
in materials thanks to the information on the Cardinal Flyers Online
group.

That's nice but I said replace. Buddy of mine has a C177 RG. He spends
so much more for maintenence and insurance that I do that it about makes
him cry. And because the gear isn't strong he won't land off road like
he wish he could. That switch on the nose gear that tells the plane if
the gear is down is a pis poor desgin. At one annual he spent as much
having that one stupid switch troubleshooted than I did for the whole
flat rate on my annual.
Old January 15th 05, 06:49 PM
Colin W Kingsbury

I read in another thread "Comfortable 4-seaters" in r.a.o that the 177 has a
48" cabin. Considering that operating costs for the 177FG are in the range
of the 172, (39" cabin) but better or equal speeds, that can be a pretty
compelling feature especially for those of us who are not FAA-sized.

Old January 15th 05, 06:57 PM
Newps

The best thing about the C177 are the ailerons. It is a very snappy bird
in roll. The all flying stab sucks, I hated landing mine. Depending on
how tall you were you may or may not like the fact it is lower to the
ground. I'm 6'1" and it was way too low for me. The other major
downside for me was the interior height. I was always banging my head
on the overhead. The seat was as low as it would go.

Old January 15th 05, 11:45 PM
John T

Sounds like you need to visit the cardinal owners webpage that was
mentioned in this thread. There is mention of a stab mod that makes it
smoother, and they also casually talk about tall guys being comfortable
in this plane (177). In fact, that website has really gotten me
interested in the 177, I wish I could afford one!

John