Preliminary NTSB Report on the Oshkosh P51 Crash Released

Old August 5th 07, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.military
Matt Whiting

Default Preliminary NTSB Report on the Oshkosh P51 Crash Released

Danny Deger wrote:
"Morgans" wrote in message

"Matt Whiting" wrote

You obviously outclass us all here (not!), so please take your ego
and go elsewhere.

Amen, brother!

NICE parting dig to the P-51 fliers, too, huh?

I can't help it if the best they can do is fly obsolete, underpowered
aircraft :-) Having said that, the P-51 is number one on my list to fly
someday. It may not be a fast as an F-4, but it is a lot better looking.

The obsolete is THE attraction!

And compared to my 182, the 51 has plenty of power!!

Matt
Old August 5th 07, 12:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

All performers or any pilot in the airshow has to be certified to fly in
waivered airspace.

I assume these pilots hold FAST cards in the very least. Other FAA
approved formation organizations are TRARON, FFI for the RV's and others
like the liason group that started it all. IIRC

The bible for all these groups is the T-34 manual.

The latest iteration is called the Formation Flight manual 4th Edition
sold by the EAA for $14.95. "now includes T-6, T-28, & P-51"

The TYPE SPECIFIC: P-51 Mustang page is page 26. written by Vlado
Lenoch

" Pitch and Landing: The leader will configure the flight as
appropriate for the break. Runway width will dictate the break
interval. On runways that are 100 ft. wide, the spacing can be as close
as 1600 ft. as aircraft will be landing on alternate sides of center.
In no case should any airplane land closer than 3000 ft directly behind
another. The leader will bring the flight over at the appropriate
speed, so that after the break, all aircraft will be able to end abeam
the point of intended landing at 1000 ft and at 170 MPH (147 KTS), where
the gear is extended and the turn to final "played" to fine tune ay
spacing.

Section landings are not done in P-51's due to control and visibility
limitations."

FWIW

Old August 5th 07, 02:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.military
Danny Deger

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
snip

And compared to my 182, the 51 has plenty of power!!

And compared my Taylorcraft, your 182 has plenty of power :-) I do have the
85HP with the O-200 crankshaft. It probably puts out about 95hp. It only
wieghs 810 empty, so the climb rate isn't too bad.

I would, however, like to fly a piston plane with so much p-factor you have
to limit take off power on takeoff to not run off the runway. The F-4 had
very little p-factor. Very little yaw with an engine out even. In someways
the easiest airplane to land I have ever flown. It is impossible to bounch
and flaring is optional. You can just fly it until it hits the ground.

Danny Deger

Old August 5th 07, 02:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.military
Tex Houston

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
On Sat, 4 Aug 2007 15:47:33 -0500, "Danny Deger"
wrote:
It may not be a fast as an F-4, but it is a lot better looking.

I always thought the F-4 was way cooler looking.

I *like* P-51's a lot, but I've built lots of plastic F-4's!

F-4 is ugly enough to be a Navy plane!

Tex

Old August 5th 07, 11:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.military
B A R R Y

On Sat, 4 Aug 2007 19:17:00 -0600, "Tex Houston"
wrote:

F-4 is ugly enough to be a Navy plane!

While not exactly beautiful, I also think the A-6, F-8, E-2, and A-4
were cool looking, so maybe you're onto something.

All of this coming from a guy who also likes the looks of A-10's! G
Old August 5th 07, 02:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.military
Peter Dohm

wrote:

F-4 is ugly enough to be a Navy plane!

While not exactly beautiful, I also think the A-6, F-8, E-2, and A-4
were cool looking, so maybe you're onto something.

All of this coming from a guy who also likes the looks of A-10's! G

A-10's!

Warn us before posting any girlie pics. BFG

Old August 6th 07, 04:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.military
Paul Dow (Remove Caps in mail address)

I was at the south end of the field taking pictures of the air race.
Most of those didn't come out good, but I happened to change to movie
clip mode when the planes were landing and caught the crash.

I've been trying to figure out how to let people see it without it being
exploited by being copied on to a bunch of other video sites. After all,
there was a fatality in the collision. I put a watermark on it.
Hopefully it isn't too distracting.

It looks like I was nearby the person who took the other clip that
appears on aero-news

http://www.eaa1310.org/n8082u.htm
Old August 6th 07, 05:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.military
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

This is always a judgment call. It goes without saying that the RIGHT
thing to do is to check with the NTSB first and let them see it as it
could aid in the investigation. The commercial end of the equation is
that you might be able to generate some income from the clip by hawking
it but that's doubtful at this point.
Naturally being involved in P51 flight safety, my advice is to call the
NTSB immediately and vet the film with them as soon as possible.
Thank you if you choose that path.
Dudley Henriques

Old August 6th 07, 06:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.military
Paul Dow (Remove Caps in mail address)

Actually they rounded up witnesses who were pilots right after it
happened. I was among those who identified themselves and the NTSB
started interviewing people. After they talked with several people
individually they announced that they had good video of the accident and
wouldn't be needing us.

Since this video was only taken with a digital still camera, it's not
very sharp and only 15 FPS. I'm sure they got something taken with an
actual video camera that's much clearer.

I'm not looking to make anything off of it. I still get a bit of that
sick feeling when I watch it again. I just don't want someone else
copying it and selling it as their own.