ASG-29 Coke Bottle Whistle

Old June 12th 16, 03:37 PM
RickH RickH is offline
Junior Member

Location: St. Louis, MO
Default ASG-29 Coke Bottle Whistle

I hope some of you ASG-29 drivers have either experienced or heard of this issue I'm having with my 2012 ASG-29. The ship has about 200 hours on it. At about 100-110 knots I have a very loud and annoying sound that comes from the rear of the ship. It sounds just like someone blowing over a coke bottle to create a tone. I can get rid of the sound by applying a little rudder although the yaw string is running true while the sound is being generated. Rex Williams said he thought it was the tail dump opening. I've put duct tape over the tail dump valve and still have this annoying tone accelerating through 100-110 knots. John Murray thought that it was the gap seal tape on the rudder. I would have thought that would have produced more of a buzz sound but this is probably my next step. Hopefully someone can enlighten me as to a possible cause!
Old June 12th 16, 08:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Let me know how you solve it. My LS-8 has the exact same noise at the same speed. Slight rudder pressure makes it go away. Rudder gap seals are tight.
Old June 12th 16, 08:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
3j

At 14:37 12 June 2016, RickH wrote:

[...]

possible cause

--
RickH

We had a similar issue with an LS4a. It turned out to be the root
wing seal tape on the lower surface. If the tape was not sealed
tightly to the lower surface, we would get the tone. The noise
sounded like it was coming from the aft end of the ship, but pressing
the tape tight to the lower surface of the wing would stop the
problem.

Jim

Old June 12th 16, 08:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, June 12, 2016 at 2:43:14 PM UTC-4, RickH wrote:
[...]

Guessing it is turbulence over the rudder cable outlet which is not followed by a trailing faring. Fashion a faring out of DOW blue styrofoam square edge insulation (Lowes). First put down a strip of duck tape and then glue the shaped foam trailing faring to the duct tape. Do for both sides and flight test. If this eliminates the whistle then proceed to fabricate and permanently install FG shell faring.
Old June 12th 16, 09:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gav Goudie[_2_]

RickH,

How much equipment do you stow behind your head?

On my LS4 if there was too much equipment (sweatshirt, jacket etc) on the
cargo shelf it caused a 'choke' and the fuselage exhaust at the base of the
fin
would start to howl.

Trial an error sorted it out, but also worth making sure the internal
rudder
seal (if fitted) is fully adhered to the fin and making contact with the
rudder.

GG

Old June 12th 16, 10:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

Hi Rick,

I have the same 100 kt whistle on my 29. Just today replaced the upper mylar on the elevator in an attempt to remove the noise. I'll see if it goes away and report back. I also have new mylar for the lower surface and that is the next test if replacing the upper doesn't solve it. Let me know if you replace rudder seals and if that solves the problem on yours.

Dave Springford
Old June 12th 16, 11:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The high speed noise is very common in the ASG29. The ASW 27 will also make the noise but needs to be at high altitude and high speed (like 17k at 105+knots.)

So sadly, I don't know of anyone who has cured this yet but maybe broadening the question to include ASW 27 pilots who fly regularly at high altitude will yield an answer.

In my own plane I've tried to seal air from getting into or out of the vertical fin via around the elevator and rudder joints. Not cured yet but I'll be at the Utah nationals next week so I'll be able to test out a couple of ideas.
Old June 13th 16, 12:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Reinholt

On Sunday, June 12, 2016 at 11:43:14 AM UTC-7, RickH wrote:
[...]

As John Murry said.
My Discus 2b had the same issue after the rudder seals blew out in an overnight wind storm. I put them back in, but it still buzzed.
Craig
Old June 13th 16, 12:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

[...]

Some things I have done with some success.
Install a bulkhead in the fin cove with a wiping seal against the leading edge of the rudder to stop flow up the fin cove area.
Seal the elevator push rod exit.
Add wipe seals to the sides of the elevator drive
Install ES vent so cockpit air exits forward instead of at the tail.
FWIW
UH
Old June 13th 16, 02:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

On a club LS4 as well as an LS4 I used to own, we had the same problem. Sounds like a bassoon player sitting in the area of the empennage. Turned out that sealing the top of the vertical stab with foam around the elevator pushrod solved the problem. My 29 hasn't yet displayed this musical tendency, but I have a Nixon/Murray exhaust vent which provides an optimized path for high pressure cockpit air to escape...

P3