downloading a gps20 without a serial port

Old February 2nd 06, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default downloading a gps20 without a serial port

I recently lost my laptop and the replacement has no serial port. I
purchased a USB - serial converter cable but Cambridge Aero Explorer
can't seem to connect to the GPS 20. Anybody have a work around for
this problem? Just want to download waypoints and upload flights.

Ted

Old February 2nd 06, 09:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Some of the USB adapters work, some don't.
Otherwise there are network servers like the Moxa serial ports.
Check out the Moxa site:
USB to Serial
http://www.moxa.com/Zones/Serial_Com...rial/index.htm
Ethernet to Serial
http://www.moxa.com/Zones/Serial_To_Ethernet/index.htm
Jim

Old February 2nd 06, 11:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

JS wrote:
Some of the USB adapters work, some don't.

Take a look at pfranc.com - I'm using one of their adapters on a laptop
with a busted serial port. So far it's done everything I've needed,
including iPAQ hotsync via a serial cradle.

I'm not connected with them - just a happy customer.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. |
Old February 2nd 06, 01:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

This probably only applies to a small niche (and won't answer your question,
Ted), but I recently had to figure how to use a USB-to-Serial adapter in
order to connect a PowerBook (yes, that's a Macintosh) to an SN10B, and a
Volkslogger. I also use it to ActiveSync my PDA.

The hard part was getting the USB-to-Serial adapter to work with Virtual PC,
but I've broken the code on that.

If anybody is interested, let me know via the newsgroup.

For the record, I'm not interested in any Mac vs PC discussions, since I've
already made up my mind on that.

On 2/1/06 7:11 PM, in article
, "Ted"

Old February 2nd 06, 02:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Disregard this if you find a ready solution...another
option might be by a cheap PDA and load it with some
freeware flight software, add the cable to connect
it to the GPS20...and you can us the PDA to transport
flights and databases back and forth and leave the
GPS20 in the cockpit hooked up.

Old February 2nd 06, 04:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Ted, if you provide some more information it would help in finding a
solution your problem.

First, what is the make and model of both the computer and the
USB-serial converter? Second, what operating system are you using (XP,
NT, 98, DOS)? Third, if Windows, have you tried the standard Windows
tricks of looking for hardware conflicts, changing the serial port the
USB-serial adapter is on, setting baud rates, etc.? Fourth, if Windows,
what are the values that have been set by the installer for com number,
bps, data bits, parity, stop and flow control? Fifth, have you tried
booting into a pure DOS environment and using Data-cam with a fully
qualified command line to specify file name and com port?

I'm using an IBM T42 notebook with an IO Gear USB-serial adapter, and
I've had zero problems talking to a Cambridge Model 10 under XP and 98
using SeeYou, Data-cam and Vali-cam. This setup also works well under
DOS using Data-cam and Vali-cam.

So, as you no doubt suspected, it can be done! Taking a wild guess, I
suspect that your problem lies in getting the com port of the
USB-serial adapter to be com 1 or com 2. Most of the time the installer
puts them way up high, and this can lead to trouble (depends upon the
BIOS and the OS).

-John

Old February 2nd 06, 05:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

There are PCMCIA cards availble which add one or two Serial RS232
ports. computer specialty stores like Compusa have them
such as
http://www.elandigitalsystems.com/interface/sl332.php

I have used 2 used compact flash rs232 adapter on my Casio e100-
Ipaq3635 and Ipaq5555 to view NMEA data from my GPS45 and GPSIII . and
a $10 CF to PCMCIA adapter will fit your laptop and should do it for
you

one rather expensive option is
http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...583&pfp=SEARCH

But ill sell ya a setup like mine for much much less ~$50
contact me at atkron95 at gmail.com if that what you would like to do.

Old February 2nd 06, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I too had the same problem on my IBM T-40, it does not have a serial
port.
I was trying to conect with my Volkslogger
I tried various adapters for the USB port but none worked.
In my case I was successful using a docking station that has a serial
port for this computer.
Dan Rihn

Thermal wrote:
There are PCMCIA cards availble which add one or two Serial RS232
ports. computer specialty stores like Compusa have them
such as
http://www.elandigitalsystems.com/interface/sl332.php

I have used 2 used compact flash rs232 adapter on my Casio e100-
Ipaq3635 and Ipaq5555 to view NMEA data from my GPS45 and GPSIII . and
a $10 CF to PCMCIA adapter will fit your laptop and should do it for
you

one rather expensive option is
http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...583&pfp=SEARCH

But ill sell ya a setup like mine for much much less ~$50
contact me at atkron95 at gmail.com if that what you would like to do.

Landing strip off of Port O Connor, TX? Ricky Summersett Piloting 2 January 24th 06 04:35 PM
missing serial port Fred Blair Soaring 9 November 3rd 04 04:24 PM
WinPilot ADV comm port setting Ted Wagner Soaring 1 December 29th 03 05:44 PM
D'Amato's Role Investigated in La Guardia Airport Deal Roy Smith General Aviation 0 December 25th 03 05:47 AM
Is a static port a precision thing? Larry Smith Home Built 8 August 12th 03 10:26 PM