NATCA Going Down in Flames

Old September 5th 06, 01:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Default NATCA Going Down in Flames

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
"Dan Luke" wrote in message
I've been in three towers, two TRACONs and a Center, and I've never seen
controllers wearing flip-flops or cut-off shorts. Jeans and T-shirts,
yes.

I've been an FPL controller in an ARTCC and a tower/TRACON and have visited
probably a dozen other ATC facilities and never seen a controller dressed
like that.

That doesn't change the fact that others have, right?
Old September 5th 06, 01:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BTIZ

It is also a "Uniform".. so lets require all ATC employees, NATCA or not, to
wear uniforms.. oh.. and they have to pay for them.. with no pay increase or
allowances to cover it.

And they better be starched with crisp creases.

BT

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
nk.net...

"BTIZ" wrote in message

If you are going to get paid for being a professional, you should dress
like a professional.

When I worked ATC, it was not the white shirt and narrow tie, but dress
slacks "Dockers" and sport shirts or collared golf shirts with pocket
were expected with decent shoes.

You never knew when there would be a tour coming through, Boy Scouts,
Rotary Club, Local Pilots on a "Raincheck" program, or maybe even the US
Senator or House Rep.

Perception is the whole thing, look like a bum and people will think you
work like a bum.

UPS delivery drivers wear shorts. They look professional.

Old September 5th 06, 01:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_4_]

"Dan Luke" wrote

The FAA is out to make a point with this about who's got the power, IMO.
It's got nothing to do with encouraging professionalism among controllers.

B I N G O !!!
--
Jim in NC

Old September 5th 06, 01:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

"Emily" wrote in message
. ..

But why is the union making such a big deal about it? To tell employees
that a supervisor making a comment about dress constitutes a "meeting",
well...that's why I'm glad we don't have unions at my particular part of
the company.

I don't think they're making a bid deal about the dress code, they,re making
a big deal about the imposed "contract". The dress code is just one part of
it.

Old September 5th 06, 01:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

"Emily" wrote in message

That doesn't change the fact that others have, right?

No, it means it was uncommon.

Old September 5th 06, 01:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

"BTIZ" wrote in message

It is also a "Uniform".. so lets require all ATC employees, NATCA or not,
to wear uniforms.. oh.. and they have to pay for them.. with no pay
increase or allowances to cover it.

And they better be starched with crisp creases.

Why? What positive effect can there be in that?

Old September 5th 06, 02:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

The FAA is out to make a point with this about who's got the power, IMO.
It's got nothing to do with encouraging professionalism among controllers.

bingo.

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old September 5th 06, 02:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

But why is the union making such a big deal about it? To tell employees that a supervisor making a comment about dress constitutes a "meeting", well...that's why I'm glad we don't have unions at my particular part of the company.

To make it difficult for the management, in the hopes that they will
rethink their position (or at least be punished for holding it).

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old September 5th 06, 02:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
"Emily" wrote in message
. ..
But why is the union making such a big deal about it? To tell employees
that a supervisor making a comment about dress constitutes a "meeting",
well...that's why I'm glad we don't have unions at my particular part of
the company.

I don't think they're making a bid deal about the dress code, they,re making
a big deal about the imposed "contract". The dress code is just one part of
it.

I guess I've never figured out why, if an employee doesn't like the
rules he is subjected to, he just doesn't find something else to do. A
union certainly isn't the solution.
Old September 5th 06, 02:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

And they better be starched with crisp creases.
Why? What positive effect can there be in that?

Air safety of course. Would you trust a vector given to you by somebody
who doesn't even starch their pants? g

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.