OLC USA 2008

Old October 18th 08, 09:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

Default OLC USA 2008

With the close of the 2008 OLC season, I have to note that two of my
colleagues at Tucson Soaring Club (Randy Acree and Tony Smolder) came
in with the overall largest number of cross-country points and TUSC as
a club overall came in third behind Albuquerque Soaring and Warner
Springs Gliders. As a club, we've seen a notable increase in cross-
country activities in the past couple of years and also more interest
from younger pilots.

Looking at the OLC USA results, I note more than 20 flights in excess
of 1000 km and a couple over 1,500 km.

Parowan stood out as the field with the largest points - over double
their nearest rival. It's also notable that the top sites all seem to
be in the west - Moriarty, Warner Springs, Truckee-Tahoe, El Tiro and
Ephrata.

Participation in OLC has increased dramatically and has definitely
spurred on some competitiveness as we all try to rack up miles - I
even ended up flying until sunset recently!

OLC 2009 starts this weekend, so time to start over again!

Check the statistics - there's a lot of interesting data in there as
well as igc files to download if you want to see how the top guys do
it.

Mike
Old October 19th 08, 06:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

..... and Tucson already has over 1,000 km logged the first week of
2009.

The season's not over yet!

Mike

6/17/2008 Really? Piloting 3 May 30th 08 03:03 PM
2008/05/23 new Garmin 2008 programs, other ... [email protected] Instrument Flight Rules 0 May 23rd 08 07:41 PM