Vernal Equinox

Old March 19th 04, 06:35 PM
John Shelton

Default Vernal Equinox

Today, in celebration of the arrival of the Vernal Equinox, I am going to
make a sacrifice in a pagan rite that goes back into prehistoric times. I
have chosen for the sacrificial victims a steer and a potato (hamburger and
fries). Tomorrow, I am going to fly my sailplane for the first time of the
year and am assured of good solar heating because of it.

Happy Equinox.

Old March 19th 04, 07:32 PM
tango4

Hope you've had a recent checkride. We're 3 months in and you haven't flown
this year yet.

just 'speaking up' as per another thread.

:-)

Ian

hlink.net...

Old March 20th 04, 04:14 AM
BTIZ

why a recent check ride??

if it's his plane... and he's had a flight review in the last 24 months
(USA)

why does he need a check ride?

BT

Old March 20th 04, 06:58 AM
tango4

Over here a check ride is just a currency check, a couple of circuits,
perhaps a rope break.

Scary that you even have to ask!

Ian

Old March 20th 04, 02:35 PM
John Shelton

Actually, I was going to assemble, hook up, put on a blindfold and tow off
without a thought. I wish the government was here to make me a safe pilot.
They can do it, you know. The government can make rules that make you really
good. But, since they don't here, I am going looking around for that
blindfold right now.

Old March 20th 04, 03:01 PM
tango4

Does ANYBODY get my point?

I related to the 'when to speak up' thread in my posting

A situation arises, someone speaks up and then promptly gets the put down
for his concerns!

Its easy to pass comment on someones flying skills on the internet, just
imagine how difficult this situation could have been had we been
face-to-face on the airfield.

Ian

Old March 20th 04, 01:35 AM
solo89

"John Shelton" wrote in message thlink.net...
Today, in celebration of the arrival of the Vernal Equinox, I am going to
make a sacrifice in a pagan rite that goes back into prehistoric times. I
have chosen for the sacrificial victims a steer and a potato (hamburger and
fries). Tomorrow, I am going to fly my sailplane for the first time of the
year and am assured of good solar heating because of it.

Happy Equinox.

I'm just a newbie so I hope I'm not speaking out turn. I think you
should include (sparingly) sacremental barley and hops in your ritual.

I played hooky this afternoon but the wind was breaking up the
thermals for the most part. I hung around between 1000' and 1500' for
about half an hour. I hope you do better tomorrow.

Old March 22nd 04, 05:52 PM
Martin Eiler

John:

I was so disappointed.
Often you fly your glider at my airport.

I had my hair curled and lipstick on this weekend.
And all I got for my trouble was called a "beat up old hulk".....

Oh. Sorry. You must have been heading to LaNeva. ;-)

Since we didn't see you at L71, we went soaring to 10,200 msl
without you on the 20th. One of the guys on Sunday flew about
250 km out and return. I was so disappointed by your absence,
that I took the Brit's advice.....

and went to a meeting room with 85 wonderful friends and had a
Spring refresher training ground school day, where we talked about
sitting in cockpits and being prepared, and re-reading that flight manual
(that generates new information while laying in the drawer all winter),
and landout site selection criteria, and map preparation, and navigational
electrical tools and use, and maneuvers that would be useful to practice
with instructors for accuracy landing training and crew preparation and
..... oh heck.
We talked all day. We call it Back in The Saddle, here in southern Cal.

So. We have satisfied both criteria.
We flew on one day, and talked on another about safety.
I think we must be ready to go fly now for the rest of the calendar year.

Best to all,

Cindy B