Headset Repair componenents

Old September 22nd 06, 10:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
pittss1c

Default Headset Repair componenents

I have a few sets of headset with bad cables.
Replacing the cable is usually such a high percentage of the value, that
I tend to just buy a new cheap headset.
I have enough laying around, that I would like to just do my own cables.
and not worry about it in the future.

I think I can get the wire from someplace like digikey, and the plugs
are available from multiple resources.
Does anyone here have any recommendations for strain reliefs?
I should be able to come up with something where the cable enters the
headset, but the tough one is at the junction/strain relief box where
the mic, phone, and main cable join. Any input for a suppliers?

Mike
Old September 23rd 06, 03:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Steve Foley[_2_]

"pittss1c" wrote in message
I have a few sets of headset with bad cables.
Replacing the cable is usually such a high percentage of the value, that I
tend to just buy a new cheap headset.
I have enough laying around, that I would like to just do my own cables.
and not worry about it in the future.

I think I can get the wire from someplace like digikey, and the plugs are
available from multiple resources.
Does anyone here have any recommendations for strain reliefs?
I should be able to come up with something where the cable enters the
headset, but the tough one is at the junction/strain relief box where the
mic, phone, and main cable join. Any input for a suppliers?

Mike

If they're David Clarks, I bet they would replace the cables for free.

Old September 23rd 06, 05:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
RST Engineering

Your problem is that you are using a "box" for the junction. Four things
bad. Three of them are where the wires enter the box you have a singular
strain point and a chafe point. Grommets will only go so far to relieve
either of them. THe fourth is the weight of the box itself snapping the
wires about in turbulence and such.

Join-solder the wires to the main cable with shrink over them, then shrink
over the both wires, then a large shrink over the whole mess. A large dab
of RTV at the center of the junction before you shrink, then the shrink will
force the RTV into any voids in the junction.

Jim

Old September 23rd 06, 07:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bill Daniels

"RST Engineering" wrote in message

Join-solder the wires to the main cable with shrink over them, then shrink
over the both wires, then a large shrink over the whole mess. A large dab
of RTV at the center of the junction before you shrink, then the shrink
will force the RTV into any voids in the junction.

Jim

Damn, RTV inside the shrink! Why didn't I think of that.

Jim, please explain that again step by step. Which layers of shrink does
the RTV go between? I'm thinking of glider trailer wiring.

Bill Daniels

Old September 23rd 06, 07:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Vaughn Simon

"Bill Daniels" bildan@comcast-dot-net wrote in message
. ..

"RST Engineering" wrote in message

Join-solder the wires to the main cable with shrink over them, then shrink
over the both wires, then a large shrink over the whole mess. A large dab of
RTV at the center of the junction before you shrink, then the shrink will
force the RTV into any voids in the junction.

Jim

Damn, RTV inside the shrink! Why didn't I think of that.

Jim, please explain that again step by step. Which layers of shrink does the
RTV go between? I'm thinking of glider trailer wiring.

You can also buy a special shrink tubing that has a temperature sensitive
adhesive inside. As you shrink the tubing, the adhesive melts around the cable
and all is stuck together. Not a flexible as regular shrink, but great for
outside applications such as antenna connectors, or glider trailers.

There is also another specialized (but not cheap) shrink tubing called cold
shrink. Think of a very wide pre-stretched rubber band. This stuff comes
stretched around a core of spiral plastic. You put the tubing over the
connection you want to seal, and then pull out the spiral core and watch the
tubing immediately shrink around your joint. Not for headsets!

Vaughn

Vaughn

Bill Daniels

Old September 23rd 06, 10:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
RST Engineering

It goes under the last piece of shrink. If you get really good at it, when
you shrink the outer sleeve, the RTV will just barely ooze out of the ends,
insuring that everything inside is hermetically sealed.

Jim

Old September 25th 06, 01:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

low cost replacement cables are available - Headsets Inc are
advertising them at $19 http://www.headsetsinc.com/price_list.htm . The
ANR kit is also very good value.

Stan

Old September 26th 06, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
pittss1c

Thanks, I'll give this a shot and see how it goes.

Mike

RST Engineering wrote:
Your problem is that you are using a "box" for the junction. Four things
bad. Three of them are where the wires enter the box you have a singular
strain point and a chafe point. Grommets will only go so far to relieve
either of them. THe fourth is the weight of the box itself snapping the
wires about in turbulence and such.

Join-solder the wires to the main cable with shrink over them, then shrink
over the both wires, then a large shrink over the whole mess. A large dab
of RTV at the center of the junction before you shrink, then the shrink will
force the RTV into any voids in the junction.

Jim

but the tough one is at the junction/strain relief box where
the mic, phone, and main cable join. Any input for a suppliers?

Mike

Calibrate? Repair? Adjust? RST Engineering Owning 3 April 4th 05 01:41 PM
Panther C.A.T. headset. Ross Taylor Products 0 October 22nd 04 11:59 PM
Canopy crack repair Pete Brown Soaring 0 May 18th 04 03:09 AM
headset plug repair Michael C Finke Owning 14 February 22nd 04 11:43 PM