helicopters and tfrs

Old October 11th 06, 10:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
swag

Default helicopters and tfrs

I was at a high school football game a week ago and the local news
helicopter came to watch the game. After landing and filming some
footage, it took off and buzzed the stadium in a pretty high speed bank
of about 30 to 40 degrees, maybe 150 feet up.

So I thought all sporting events were tfrs. and if so, are there ways
to get exemptions, or did this crew break a reg? If so, I don't want
to tell anyone, because this is apparently a popular activity and
happens every weekend.

Old October 11th 06, 10:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily

swag wrote:
I was at a high school football game a week ago and the local news
helicopter came to watch the game. After landing and filming some
footage, it took off and buzzed the stadium in a pretty high speed bank
of about 30 to 40 degrees, maybe 150 feet up.

So I thought all sporting events were tfrs.

Without looking it up, I believe the wording is "major sporting event".
Don't think a high school football game qualifies.
Old October 11th 06, 11:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
C. Massey

"Emily" wrote in message
swag wrote:
I was at a high school football game a week ago and the local news
helicopter came to watch the game. After landing and filming some
footage, it took off and buzzed the stadium in a pretty high speed bank
of about 30 to 40 degrees, maybe 150 feet up.

So I thought all sporting events were tfrs.

Without looking it up, I believe the wording is "major sporting event".
Don't think a high school football game qualifies.

And you call yourself a Texan!

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0641-2, 10/10/2006
Tested on: 10/11/2006 5:07:49 PM

Old October 11th 06, 11:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily

C. Massey wrote:
"Emily" wrote in message
swag wrote:
I was at a high school football game a week ago and the local news
helicopter came to watch the game. After landing and filming some
footage, it took off and buzzed the stadium in a pretty high speed bank
of about 30 to 40 degrees, maybe 150 feet up.

So I thought all sporting events were tfrs.

Without looking it up, I believe the wording is "major sporting event".
Don't think a high school football game qualifies.

And you call yourself a Texan!

No, I believe I never called myself a Texan. :-) Only football I watch
is Big Ten. Sorry, but football in Texas is severely overrated and most
people need to get a life.
Old October 12th 06, 12:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
C. Massey

"Emily" wrote in message
. ..
C. Massey wrote:
"Emily" wrote in message
swag wrote:
I was at a high school football game a week ago and the local news
helicopter came to watch the game. After landing and filming some
footage, it took off and buzzed the stadium in a pretty high speed bank
of about 30 to 40 degrees, maybe 150 feet up.

So I thought all sporting events were tfrs.
Without looking it up, I believe the wording is "major sporting event".
Don't think a high school football game qualifies.

And you call yourself a Texan!

No, I believe I never called myself a Texan. :-) Only football I watch is
Big Ten. Sorry, but football in Texas is severely overrated and most
people need to get a life.

OK...ok... You live in Texas. By the way, I'm about 30 miles from DFW
airport.

And I agree, *any* football is over rated. I'm just not a football fan. But,
I am in a very small minority.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0641-2, 10/10/2006
Tested on: 10/11/2006 6:22:05 PM

Old October 12th 06, 12:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily

C. Massey wrote:
"Emily" wrote in message
. ..
C. Massey wrote:
"Emily" wrote in message
swag wrote:
I was at a high school football game a week ago and the local news
helicopter came to watch the game. After landing and filming some
footage, it took off and buzzed the stadium in a pretty high speed bank
of about 30 to 40 degrees, maybe 150 feet up.

So I thought all sporting events were tfrs.
Without looking it up, I believe the wording is "major sporting event".
Don't think a high school football game qualifies.

And you call yourself a Texan!

No, I believe I never called myself a Texan. :-) Only football I watch is
Big Ten. Sorry, but football in Texas is severely overrated and most
people need to get a life.

OK...ok... You live in Texas. By the way, I'm about 30 miles from DFW
airport.

And I agree, *any* football is over rated. I'm just not a football fan. But,
I am in a very small minority.

I'm a little closer to DFW.
But you're right, disliking football in Texas is risky. People get mad
when they start talking UT football and my eyes glaze over.
Old October 12th 06, 01:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"swag" wrote in message
oups.com...
I was at a high school football game a week ago and the local news
helicopter came to watch the game. After landing and filming some
footage, it took off and buzzed the stadium in a pretty high speed bank
of about 30 to 40 degrees, maybe 150 feet up.

So I thought all sporting events were tfrs. and if so, are there ways
to get exemptions, or did this crew break a reg? If so, I don't want
to tell anyone, because this is apparently a popular activity and
happens every weekend.

There is a nminimum viewer size, and 20,000 comes to mind. I could be way off,
that is just a quick recollection.
--
Jim in NC

Old October 12th 06, 04:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay B

Morgans wrote:
"swag" wrote in message
oups.com...
I was at a high school football game a week ago and the local news
helicopter came to watch the game. After landing and filming some
footage, it took off and buzzed the stadium in a pretty high speed bank
of about 30 to 40 degrees, maybe 150 feet up.

So I thought all sporting events were tfrs. and if so, are there ways
to get exemptions, or did this crew break a reg? If so, I don't want
to tell anyone, because this is apparently a popular activity and
happens every weekend.

There is a nminimum viewer size, and 20,000 comes to mind. I could be way off,
that is just a quick recollection.
--
Jim in NC

Jim,

IIRC it's "Major Sporting Events" with a seating capacity of 30K and
specifically calls out:.
- MLB
- NFL
- NCAA
- NASCAR

Must remain above 3000' AGL and is in effect 1 hour prior to 1 hour
after the event.

Jay B

Old October 12th 06, 04:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay B

swag wrote:
I was at a high school football game a week ago and the local news
helicopter came to watch the game. After landing and filming some
footage, it took off and buzzed the stadium in a pretty high speed bank
of about 30 to 40 degrees, maybe 150 feet up.

So I thought all sporting events were tfrs. and if so, are there ways
to get exemptions, or did this crew break a reg? If so, I don't want
to tell anyone, because this is apparently a popular activity and
happens every weekend

Does not apply to HS sporting events.

Jay B

Old October 12th 06, 04:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
swag

hanks all.
Appreciate the research.