Burns Municipal Airport (KBNO) Runway 3-21 Markings

Old October 2nd 07, 11:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RandyL[_2_]

Default Burns Municipal Airport (KBNO) Runway 3-21 Markings

I have been using Google Earth to look at airports in my area of the
world, and I have run across something that I cannot figure out myself, so I
thought I would post this question here. I was looking at Burns Municipal
Airport ,Oregon (KBNO) at N43 35 25.77 W118 57 18.41 and noticed that
runway 3-21 is painted completely white. Even the runway numbers and
thresholds are painted over. I have never seen this type of runway marking
before. I tried doing a Google search on that airport, but haven't come up
with anything that indicates why this runway is painted like this. Usually
when an airport closes a runway, they paint a big "X" on the runway ends to
indicate that it is closed. Does anyone have any idea why they would paint
an entire runway white like this? Just curious...

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c6...oogleEarth.jpg

Randy L.
--
Remember: Any landing that you can walk away from,
is a landing that you can be fined, sued, or prosecuted for.

Old October 2nd 07, 11:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 16:42:32 -0600, "RandyL" wrote
in :

Usually
when an airport closes a runway, they paint a big "X" on the runway ends to
indicate that it is closed.

Runway 3-21 doesn't appear to be closed:
http://www.airnav.com/airport/KBNO
Old October 3rd 07, 12:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Stewart

Larry Dighera wrote:
On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 16:42:32 -0600, "RandyL" wrote
in :

Usually
when an airport closes a runway, they paint a big "X" on the runway ends to
indicate that it is closed.

Runway 3-21 doesn't appear to be closed:
http://www.airnav.com/airport/KBNO

One is concrete and the other asphalt.
I wonder if it's just a artifact of the
way the satellite camera computes and
sets black level or something.

Old October 3rd 07, 12:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

I was looking at other areas of Google Earth.. and noticed that the white
tractor trailer trucks parked or moving seemed to get elongated and very
white.. take a look at the truck area off of I-15 SW of Barstow CA.

BT

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
.. .

Old October 3rd 07, 05:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
randall g

[...]

Google Earth images can be years old. Perhaps it was undergoing repair
at the time?

randall g =%^) PPASEL+Night 1974 Cardinal RG
http://www.telemark.net/randallg
Lots of aerial photographs of British Columbia at:
http://www.telemark.net/randallg/photos.htm
Vancouver's famous Kat Kam: http://www.katkam.ca
Old October 3rd 07, 02:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

"RandyL" wrote in message
[...]

That is one of the strangest things I've seen on Google Earth. Since you
mention that it is an airport in your "area of the world" why don't you stop
by and see if it is really white and if it is ask who got the kick back from
the paint company?

Old October 3rd 07, 03:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

Gig 601XL Builder wrote:
Does anyone have any idea why they would paint
an entire runway white like this? Just curious...

I've heard of runways built on permafrost being painted white, but...

Are you sure that's paint, or is the photo edited for some reason?
Old October 3rd 07, 05:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

B A R R Y wrote:
Gig 601XL Builder wrote:
Does anyone have any idea why they would paint
an entire runway white like this? Just curious...

I've heard of runways built on permafrost being painted white, but...

Are you sure that's paint, or is the photo edited for some reason?

I didn't write that I asked him to go look at it. But I looked it up and it
is a concrete runway where the other is asphalt. That is probably just some
very light colored concrete.

Old October 3rd 07, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Oct 2, 4:42 pm, "RandyL" wrote:
I have been using Google Earth to look at airports in my area of the
world, and I have run across something that I cannot figure out myself, so I
thought I would post this question here. I was looking at Burns Municipal
Airport ,Oregon (KBNO) at N43 35 25.77 W118 57 18.41 and noticed that
runway 3-21 is painted completely white. Even the runway numbers and
thresholds are painted over. I have never seen this type of runway marking
before. I tried doing a Google search on that airport, but haven't come up
with anything that indicates why this runway is painted like this. Usually
when an airport closes a runway, they paint a big "X" on the runway ends to
indicate that it is closed. Does anyone have any idea why they would paint
an entire runway white like this? Just curious...

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c6...KBNO_GoogleEar...

Randy L.
--
Remember: Any landing that you can walk away from,
is a landing that you can be fined, sued, or prosecuted for.

It didn't look like that the last time I landed there (a couple of
years ago)...