SAFETY ALERT

Old August 21st 11, 07:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]

Default SAFETY ALERT

I regularly get safety alerts (bulletins, notices) from the FAA and
AOPA, but I never get one from the SSA. I went digging to see if the
SSA had a similar program. I went to SSA home page, then to SSA
Partners..........Hmm, safety isn't a primary concern of the SSA and
is relegated to a soaring partner?
Then to Soaring Safety Foundation, then to Accident Prevention, then
to Advisory Notices and I actually found one! Yep on 5/23/05 the SSF
pumped out a Notice about props on solo engines.

We have just had 5 fatal accidents within the last 45 days and not a
peep out of the SSA or the 'partner' SSF.
I submit the following that might have been published (but wasn't):

1 July, 2011 Glider crashes after initiating practice rope preak at
200 feet!
1 dead, 1 severly injured
SSA recommends practice rope breaks not be done below 500 feet and
only after thoroughly briefing before the flight. Briefing to include
altitude at which rope break will be initiated and pilots intended
actions.
All are reminded that a simple 180 degree turn will place the glider
parallel to, but not ovet the departure runway. Recommend a 90 / 270
when returning to departure runway (altitude permitting).

15 July, 2011 Glider spoilers open after takeoff, tow pilot gave
rudder-wag (check spoilers) which was misunderstood. Glider crashed
into trees.
1 dead, 1 seriously injured
This accident could have been prevented with a simple call from the
tow pilot to "close your spoilers", had radios been required by the
club or FBO.
SSA recommends all gliders and tow planes be equipped with radios and
a com-check be performed before all takeoffs. The com-check will
insure both radios are on, tuned to the same frequency, volume up,
squelch set and battery charged.

8 July, 2011 Off field landing accident (motor glider)
1 dead
SSA recommends that all gliders keep a suitable landing spot within
gliding distance at all times and engine starts not be attempted below
1500 agl.

JJ Sinclair
(for the SSA that could be)

Old August 21st 11, 07:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
PK

On Aug 21, 11:04*am, JJ Sinclair wrote:
[...]

JJ wrote;"I went digging to see if the
SSA had a similar program. I went to SSA home page, then to SSA
Partners..........Hmm, safety isn't a primary concern of the SSA and
is relegated to a soaring partner?
Then to Soaring Safety Foundation, then to Accident Prevention, then
to Advisory Notices and I actually found one! Yep on 5/23/05 the SSF
pumped out a Notice about props on solo engines."

It is AMAZING! So what are these folks doing at the Soaring Safety
Foundation anyway???....
Old August 21st 11, 09:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cookie

On Aug 21, 2:04*pm, JJ Sinclair wrote:
[...]

All of the material for the prevention of those accidents is widely
available ...in just about any and every gliding texbook I have ever
seen.......Every instructor I know of also addresses all of those
concerns in detail during training....every club I have been involved
with addresses those scenarios...

Any pilot with even the most basic skill and common sense can easily
avoid all of those accident scenarios...

Rope demo and practice at only 500' or higher does not properly train
pilots for the real world...rope breaks at lower altitudes are not
necessarily dangerous....

Motor glider obvioulsy takes additional and specialized skills.......

The SAA cannot fly the glider for you......

Cookie
Old August 21st 11, 10:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_2_]

Personally I want the SSA lobbying against rules not making up new
ones or reminding me of old ones. When advocacy organizations become
governing/safetycratic they are ruined, worse than useless. Let the
SSA keep the gov't at bay, pilots, clubs, and insurance companies can
sort the safety standards.
Old August 21st 11, 10:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
PK

On Aug 21, 2:15*pm, "
wrote:
Personally I want the SSA lobbying against rules not making up new
ones or reminding me of old ones. * When advocacy organizations become
governing/safetycratic they are ruined, worse than useless. *Let the
SSA keep the gov't at bay, pilots, clubs, and insurance companies can
sort the safety standards.

So; than what is SSA for, not for pilots and clubs? You said you would
like insurance companies set the safety standards? God help us all!!
6PK
Old August 23rd 11, 04:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

On Aug 22, 7:59*pm, Mike Schumann
wrote:
On 8/21/2011 4:15 PM, wrote:

Personally I want the SSA lobbying against rules not making up new
ones or reminding me of old ones. * When advocacy organizations become
governing/safetycratic they are ruined, worse than useless. *Let the
SSA keep the gov't at bay, pilots, clubs, and insurance companies can
sort the safety standards.

I don't see a whole lot of lobbying going on either. *For whatever
reason, there seems to be ZERO interest at the SSA to involve new people
in the organization who have new ideas and are volunteering to help out.

Another example of a HUGE problem.

--
Mike Schumann

I have to strongly disagree on all points. The SSA welcomes
volunteers - there just aren't many of them.

The SSA has successfully lobbied for numerous FAR changes - expanding
the use of tow pilots with a private rating is just the most recent.
Before that there was the extension of parachute repack to 180 days.
The SSA cares very much about what is happening to members.

Bill Daniels
SSA Growth and Development Committee Chairman.
Old August 23rd 11, 10:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

On 8/22/2011 10:47 PM, Bill D wrote:
On Aug 22, 7:59 pm, Mike
wrote:
On 8/21/2011 4:15 PM, wrote:

[...]

My personal experience differs. Feel free to call me if you would like
to discuss.

--
Mike Schumann
Old August 22nd 11, 12:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]

All of the material for the prevention of those accidents is widely
available ...in just about any and every gliding texbook I have ever
seen.......Every instructor I know of also addresses all of those
concerns in detail during training....every club I have been involved
with addresses those scenarios...

The purpose of a Safety Alert is to remind all that this sport can
kill and old knowledge needs to be reviewed from time to time.

Any pilot with even the most basic skill and common sense can easily
avoid all of those accident scenarios...

Yes, but these guys didn't avoid the accident, did they?

Rope demo and practice at only 500' or higher does not properly train
pilots for the real world...rope breaks at lower altitudes are not
necessarily dangerous....

The AF used to do "real world" training by snatching a throttle of
takeoff, just to see what the pilot being evaluated would do. All too
often he would shut down the wrong engine and now they had a "real
world" emergency all right with 2 engines out. The AF stopped doing
that and thoroughly briefed all emergencies before hand. Real world
emergencies are best practiced in the simulator.
This accident just proved that "real world" training can lead to "real
world" disaster, didn't it?

Motor glider obvioulsy takes additional and specialized skills.......

My post reminded those motor glider pilots still with us, of just
that, didn't it?

The SAA cannot fly the glider for you......

No, but the SSA can remind us that this sport can kill you and
reemphasize some points that need attention.
JJ Sinclair

Cookie- -

Old August 22nd 11, 03:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cookie

The purpose of a Safety Alert is to remind all that this sport can
kill and old knowledge needs to be reviewed from time to time.

You need a "safety alert" to remind you that soaring is a potentially
dangerous activity??

Safety knowlege is not supposed to be "old knowlege"....it is supposed
to be on the top of your list for every flight!

Let's see here......a glider....it flys thousands of feet up, and
covers hunderds of miles, and has no internal power source....yep
seems really safe to me...no problem...

Any pilot with even the most basic skill and common sense can easily
avoid all of those accident scenarios...

Yes, but these guys didn't avoid the accident, did they?

And why was that? Maybe they were lacking in the most basic of
skills?....taking unnesessary risks? lacking common sense?? Lacking
review of safety issues before flight? Not doing proper preflight?
Not doing proper checklists??

Rope demo and practice at only 500' or higher does not properly train
pilots for the real world...rope breaks at lower altitudes are not
necessarily dangerous....

The AF used to do "real world" training by snatching a throttle of
takeoff, just to see what the pilot being evaluated would do. All too
often he would shut down the wrong engine and now they had a "real
world" emergency all right with 2 engines out. The AF stopped doing
that and thoroughly briefed all emergencies before hand. Real world
emergencies are best practiced in the simulator.
This accident just proved that "real world" training can lead to "real
world" disaster, didn't it?

Now you're onto "simulator"...always with the electronic gadgets!

I don't really see the comparison....but avoiding the problem (low
rope breaks) does nothing in the way of training for a real rope
break.........as and instructor, I have done (or done with my
students) hundreds of rope breaks in the 200 to 250 range.....without
incident.....I am sure that thousands if not tens of thousands of rope
break training scenarios have been done without incident.....It is
part of glider training...it is required by the PTS......It is on
every flight test......It should be on every flgiht review....

Motor glider obvioulsy takes additional and specialized skills.......

My post reminded those motor glider pilots still with us, of just
that, didn't it?

Thank god you're there to remind those motorglider pilots.....I mean
they would just be out there flying around aimlessly and
dangerously.........

The SAA cannot fly the glider for you......

No, but the SSA can remind us that this sport can kill you and
reemphasize some *points that need attention.

Again...if you need the SSA to remind you(of the blatently
obvious)....time for another hobby....

Once again you solution to safety is always on the
outside.........SSA, FAA, NTSB, Safety alert...two way radio,
flarm, simulator, transponder......

My solution is to turn to the inside....what can I do to make myself
safer?

Cookie