INS Alignment at Sea

Old November 4th 03, 03:22 AM
Mike Kanze

Gary,

Of course this wasn't combat as no one except the locals were shooting at

us when we were in Alaska flying out of Barrow.

Sea story time.

When RA-5C community set up shop at NAS Albany, GA (ex-Turner AFB) they
brought with them a quaint Naval Air tradition unknown to those whose
aviation horizons had been limited to the Blue Suit way of life:

Night FCLPs.

One of my RAN buddies told me that he saw more muzzle flashes over the
approach end of the duty runway than during two cruises over Route Pack 6.

So you don't need to freeze your cajones off to have your aircraft shot at
in North America.

--
Mike Kanze

436 Greenbrier Road
Half Moon Bay, California 94019-2259
USA

650-726-7890

"When was the last time in world history in which 'suicide' and 'martyrdom'
were the code of enlightened action admired by any society?"

- Roy Fassel (WALL STREET JOURNAL, 10/27/03)

"Gary Watson" cf104@ihate spam.shaw.ca wrote in message
Old Girls??
Try doing a "must make it" approach into one of our winter wonderland
seismic strips on Melville Island NWT (That's just past Resolute Bay for
those that don't know the North) with 100 + nuthing in snow using an

****ty
DG and a very good set of Eyeballs, or motoring around the Beaufort Sea

with
ADFs and a very erractic Omega. Of course this wasn't combat as no one
except the locals were shooting at us when we were in Alaska flying out of
Barrow. (wait a minute isn't that the same thing?) I found a few 30-30

holes
in our Aztec so I guess that applies
Sum of us old Farts really like using the new stuff after those days

GW
EX RCAF with 20+ years in the North where men are men and Polar Bears are
always hungry
[rest snipped]

Old November 4th 03, 02:22 PM
Bill Kambic

Field
Carrier
Landing
Practice

Bill Kambic

If, by any act, error, or omission, I have, intentionally or
unintentionally, displayed any breedist, disciplinist, sexist, racist,
culturalist, nationalist, regionalist, localist, ageist, lookist, ableist,
sizeist, speciesist, intellectualist, socioeconomicist, ethnocentrist,
phallocentrist, heteropatriarchalist, or other violation of the rules of
political correctness, known or unknown, I am not sorry and I encourage you
to get over it.

?

Old November 4th 03, 02:45 PM
Leanne

Night FCLPs.

Here locally, MCAS Beaufort has it put in the local newspaper when
FCLP's are scheduled. They are all back on the deck by put to bed
by 2300.

Leanne

Old November 4th 03, 03:49 PM
Pechs1

John- Two axis VGI, TACAN and ADF, cockpit lighting by afterthought, single
engine, "interesting" dirty flying qualities. A night in the life I'm glad
is far behind me. BRBR

C'mon John, didn't ya enjoy being 'lost' everytime ya lost sight of the CV?(Me
neither)...

I remeber one transit(VF-151, Midway-Maru) where we flew, daytime, complete
Ziplip, just to FAGAT, but the F-4 guys had to stay overhead the CV, so not to
get lost. Interestingly, the only guy to break ziplip was a A-7 guy who's
system crashed...
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old November 4th 03, 03:53 PM
Pechs1

Mike- We "girls" led more than one little lost lamb of a fighter through the
goo.
And gave them gas as well. BRBR

Yep, nuthin' better than a KA-6 or KA-7 as pathfinder..But we got to stand up
in the RR, puff out of chests, shake our big watches and say how we found the
boat following the trail of trash and oil left behind the CV during EMCON
recoverys.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old November 5th 03, 01:36 AM
Elmshoot

I've noticed that the art of looking outside is waning. I'llbet Masher sees
that in the training command now too.--Woody

Yep,
It is prevelant in the airlines as well. Day severe clear the Pilot flying,
(hint not me). Briefs the engine out profile (if any) for the runway in use.
Then I quip in "its nice weather outside how about we look outside and not hit
anything." pregnet pause... then the other guys says "ya, good idea" Then I
say, "I always wanted to do a low flyby of the _______ " fill in the blank for
the airport in use.
Sparky
Old November 5th 03, 12:58 PM
John Carrier

I'm puffing my chest right now. Been there. Done that. Your point is
valid, Pechs. I've noticed that the art of looking outside is waning.

I'll
bet Masher sees that in the training command now too.

Actually, the trend started in June 1971 when the USN abruptly transitioned
from mostly VFR to exclusively IFR. Radial and DME became paramount, not
position over the ground.
We've made some progress back. I'm sure you can still dimly recall the
visual reference points for Area 4 FAM, but sometimes ...

One of the questions I ask a stud during his FAM EP brief is what he'll do
if he finds himself somewhat lost without any nav aids or comm. The simple
logic of reciprocal headings, time and distance, and easily identified
landmarks occasionally escapes them.

We get the studs to back up their nav with the system where its
appropriate. Sometimes that can create overdependence ... but a drifting
waypoint can cure that pretty quickly. I try to insure they are presented
with scenarios in which the system is useless and also at least one in which
its essential. My favorite "graduation present" is a total system dump
where they have a peanut gyro, a wet compass, a clock, standby pitot-static
instruments and TACAN bearing/range presented as an alpha-numeric ... nordo
and about 13 minutes of battery time. A consciousness expanding and
character building exercise.

R/ John