Good Digital Water Meter Wanted

Old April 4th 11, 05:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Default Good Digital Water Meter Wanted

Hi,

I currently sell a nice mechanical water meter for use when filling the
glider wings. It works great. The only thing it is lacking is the ability
to zero the meter. Therefore, you need to make note of the number before
you start filling and calculate what number you want to arrive at when full.
Also, it is quite heavy. You can see it he
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/misc.htm#Water_Meter

I'm looking for a nice, accurate, small, simple, digital water meter that
can be reset to zero before you start filling your wings. I will stock them
and sell them - assuming I can get them at a good cost by buying them in
quantity.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old April 4th 11, 06:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Apr 4, 9:50*am, "Paul Remde" wrote:
Hi,

I currently sell a nice mechanical water meter for use when filling the
glider wings. *It works great. *The only thing it is lacking is the ability
to zero the meter. *Therefore, you need to make note of the number before
you start filling and calculate what number you want to arrive at when full.
Also, it is quite heavy. *You can see it hehttp://www.cumulus-soaring.com/misc.htm#Water_Meter

I'm looking for a nice, accurate, small, simple, digital water meter that
can be reset to zero before you start filling your wings. *I will stock them
and sell them - assuming I can get them at a good cost by buying them in
quantity.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

When selecting a digital water meter be sure to check the range of
flow rates that the claimed accuracy is applicable to. I have found
that my digital meter is very repeatable but not accurate at the low
flow rate (approx 2 gal/min) achieved with my marine bilge pump.

My weight and balance spread sheet and my cockpit wing loading graph
are both set up for metered gallons, not actual gallons, so I don't
need to worry about the calibration error.

Andy
Old April 4th 11, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara

I have both mechanical and digital water meters
please see my page at
http://www.wingsandwheels.com/Solar%...%20balls. htm
tim

database 6015 (20110404) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 6015 (20110404) __________

http://www.eset.com

Old April 5th 11, 02:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

This one looks interesting.
http://assuredautomation.com/literat..._datasheet.pdf

Is anyone using it? I'd love some feedback on it before ordering them in
quantity.

It looks to me like Tim is selling it too.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old April 5th 11, 02:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

"Paul Remde" wrote in message

Hi,

I currently sell a nice mechanical water meter for use when filling the
glider wings. *It works great. *The only thing it is lacking is the
ability to zero the meter. *Therefore, you need to make note of the number
before you start filling and calculate what number you want to arrive at
when full. Also, it is quite heavy. *You can see it he
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/misc.htm#Water_Meter

I'm looking for a nice, accurate, small, simple, digital water meter that
can be reset to zero before you start filling your wings. *I will stock
them and sell them - assuming I can get them at a good cost by buying them
in quantity.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

That's the one I'm using. Note the flow rate range. Other than the
calibration error because of the out of spec flow rate I'm happy with
it, although the sensing vane has stuck on me a couple of times.

For anyone filling from a faucet the calibration range is not likely
to be an issue. I fill from a tank in the crew vehicle.

Andy
Old April 5th 11, 02:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Andy,

Do you have any length of hose attached to the output port of the meter?
The reason I ask is that the mechanical flow meters I have sold work well
only when at least 2 ft of hose is used at the outlet of the valve. I
therefore supplied them with all the fittings, shut-off valve, and the short
hose. I wonder if yours would also be more accurate if you used a short
hose on the output - if you're not doing so already. Just a thought...

Paul Remde

Old April 5th 11, 03:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

Much ado about nothing.

I use a digital totalizer called a "bucket". It has better accuracy,
it's faster, doesn't require batteries, can be replaced at any
hardware store.

To use: Fill glider full, place totalizer under dump port, empty as
needed to get to desired gross weight. Quantitative easing, for
gliders.
Doubles as a wash bucket.

-Evan Ludeman / T8
Old April 6th 11, 02:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Apr 5, 7:26*am, T8 wrote:
Much ado about nothing.

I use a digital totalizer called a "bucket". *It has better accuracy,
it's faster, doesn't require batteries, can be replaced at any
hardware store.

To use: Fill glider full, place totalizer under dump port, empty as
needed to get to desired gross weight. *Quantitative easing, for
gliders.
Doubles as a wash bucket.

-Evan Ludeman / T8

Only works if you have enough water to fill the glider and if the
amount needed to be dumped is small.

Living in Arizona, and paying for the water I use, I don't like to
waste 20 gallons to get 30 into a glider that holds 50.

Andy
Old April 6th 11, 02:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Apr 5, 6:42*am, "Paul Remde" wrote:

Do you have any length of hose attached to the output port of the meter?

It's about a foot maybe a bit less. The fact that the reading is
very repeatable ( meter same quantity into each wing and glider
balances) suggests to me that the metering vane is always fully
immersed in the flow. If that is the case then why would the output
hose length matter?

Andy

Old April 6th 11, 04:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Andy,

I'm not an expert or flow meters, but when I talked to the manufacturer of
the mechanical flow meters I sell, he said it would only be accurate if
there was some back-pressure on the outlet. He said that 2 feet of hose was
the minimum amount of hose to use for accurate measurements. If you use 6
feet of hose at the output of your digital meter, it may be more accurate.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

"Andy" wrote in message
On Apr 5, 6:42 am, "Paul Remde" wrote:

Do you have any length of hose attached to the output port of the meter?

It's about a foot maybe a bit less. The fact that the reading is
very repeatable ( meter same quantity into each wing and glider
balances) suggests to me that the metering vane is always fully
immersed in the flow. If that is the case then why would the output
hose length matter?

Andy

Source for Metric/liters water meter? John Bojack[_2_] Soaring 6 May 1st 09 04:22 PM
UV meter at very good price Eric Greenwell Soaring 0 January 16th 07 10:37 PM
digital air-speed meter can be used in car? [email protected] Home Built 17 May 30th 06 02:42 AM
Water Meter in Liters Mal Soaring 2 October 26th 05 05:44 AM
Water Meter in Litres Mal Soaring 9 September 24th 05 07:45 PM