skyrides are at it again?

Old August 22nd 11, 09:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rex Mayes

Default skyrides are at it again?

It seems that the company SkyRides has now formed a new company called
Soaring Sports and has become an SSA business member to hyjack the
F.A.S.T program in order to sell rides.

Some operators will not do business with Sky Rides by honoring the
certificates it sells. Sky Rides has contacted the SSA to sell the
F.A.S.T. program to unknowing customers. These customers call a
gliderport to redeem the F.A.S.T certificate and the operator has no
idea that it was not sold by the SSA but rather, by the Sky Rides
company.

Can any of the operators confirm this?
Old August 22nd 11, 10:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Aug 22, 2:06*pm, Rex Mayes wrote:
It seems that the company SkyRides has now formed a new company called
Soaring Sports and has become an SSA business member to hyjack the
F.A.S.T program in order to sell rides.

Some operators will not do business with Sky Rides by honoring the
certificates it sells. *Sky Rides has contacted the SSA to sell the
F.A.S.T. program to unknowing customers. *These customers call a
gliderport to redeem the F.A.S.T certificate and the operator has no
idea that it was not sold by the SSA but rather, by the Sky Rides
company.

Can any of the operators confirm this?

Contact Rob Barber (GA) and discuss this directly. I've had some
recent discussions with him on this matter, including the issues
caused by Sky Rides and the type of approach needed to make it
acceptable. He should not be offering certificates and packages for
those clubs and commercial operators that he doesn't have an agreement
with to do so.

Frank Whiteley

Old August 22nd 11, 10:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

WTF. Listed there at http://www.ssa.org/affiliates/busmembers.asp

Soaring Sports
2593 Kennesaw Due West Rd NW
Kennesaw, GA 30144

The Georgia address should have been a clue.

I guess somebody at the SSA was asleep given all the past publicity these scammers have generated here and elsewhere and the efforts of folks like Drew Pearce to warn the soaring community about these folks.

I'll be very disappointed with the SSA when I check tomorrow if this con scheme is still listed as a business affiliates.

Darryl
Old August 22nd 11, 11:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Discuss? Right approach?

These folks have a history of operating cons and scams. They've been investigated by multiple media sources and consumer affairs groups. They've had membership of organizations like the PGA suspended. WTF is there to discuss? These folks should never be an SSA business member and this just needs to be undone asap.

http://www.1800skyrideripoff.com/adventure
http://www.hotairballooning.com/thrillplanet.php
http://skydivekansas.com/resources/scam.shtml

Just Google any of these name, they are all Ben Butler and the other same assholes.

Darryl
Old August 23rd 11, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JayM

On Aug 22, 1:06*pm, Rex Mayes wrote:
It seems that the company SkyRides has now formed a new company called
Soaring Sports and has become an SSA business member to hyjack the
F.A.S.T program in order to sell rides.

Some operators will not do business with Sky Rides by honoring the
certificates it sells. *Sky Rides has contacted the SSA to sell the
F.A.S.T. program to unknowing customers. *These customers call a
gliderport to redeem the F.A.S.T certificate and the operator has no
idea that it was not sold by the SSA but rather, by the Sky Rides
company.

Can any of the operators confirm this?

I talked with Mr Barber today also and it seemed like a good idea at
the time.
But if they are really a re-wrapped Scam outfit we need to nip it
soon.
I wonder how much more than the usual $99 they will charge in order to
make a profit?
Old August 23rd 11, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Who is "Mr. Barber"?

These guys are a scam factory that has hundreds of web sites. They were prosecuted by the state of Georgia who prevailed and the parent company are under a consent order to control how they operate. A copy of that order is here http://funjumper.com/skyride/gadoc.pdf. A quick look at some of their web sites shows they are likely in violation of some of the terms of that consent order. Unfortunately there are lots of tangled companies and web sites so unraveling this can be a mess, and who knows what games they are playing now with company registrations, registered company directors, web sites etc.

It is a scam, sorry that SSA folks got suckered by them. What matters now is the SSA executing fast and removing them from any involvement with the SSA.

I should also point out that the company SkySports is not a registered business in Georgia (go check http://corp.sos.state.ga.us/corp/soskb/csearch.asp), I would really appreciate the SSA checking that companies they list a partners are actual legal business entities and if operating under a DBA then provide that information.

Darryl
Old August 23rd 11, 02:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

On Aug 22, 5:10*pm, Darryl Ramm wrote:
[...]

Besides scamming people out of their money, as an example of their
shady practice, I found some of my photos in their website taken
without permission. I also found a photo taken by a friend from inside
the cockpit where his legs were hidden behind the instrument panel.
They used his photo to show that handicap people can also fly...

Ramy
Old August 23rd 11, 02:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Hey speaking of them stealing web content is that a stolen photo of a BASA Pegasus on their web page top left corner header at http://www.1800skyride.com/sports/ad...ides/index.php

Darryl
Old August 23rd 11, 02:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

I'll continue this conversation with myself :-)

I thought I recognized that photo. Its a BASA (Bay Area Soaring Associates) glider. The image is likely stolen from here http://jeremy.zawodny.com/blog/archives/001070.html I've let Jeremy know.

BTW it is kind of ironic they stole a photo of a BASA glider since BASA works with Hollister Soaring for tows in the SF Bay Area and that Drew Pearce the previous owner of Hollister Soaring had major issues with people turning up tryign to redeem these scam coupons for Glider Rides. Drew had put together material online and information he sent out to other glider FBOs etc.. (and I expect but am not sure that this also went to the SSA as well). I can't find that now but some of Drew's comments from those experiences are at http://www.complaintsboard.com/compl...am-c14757.html

Darryl
Old August 23rd 11, 02:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

And Drew Pearce's web site was on the page I linked to before and missed it.. Its at http://www.glidersailplanerides.com/ This site was set up by Drew as a glider ride operator (and SSA business partner) out of frustration from dealing with scams from these folks.

I'll get in touch with Drew so he can add the latest scam web site (and proud SSA business partner) to his list.

Darryl