FAA Certification

Old June 14th 04, 10:37 PM
fred D

Default FAA Certification

Bought a built experimental powered glider and All I have is a bill of
sale from an individual who is not the builder and does not know who
he was. No data plate, plans or other documentation with kit number.
Is there anyway to satisfy the FAA's chain of ownership requirements ?
It only needs a sprucing up and some minor repairs to be flyable.
Old June 14th 04, 11:41 PM
Robert de León

A good source for answers would be the Experimental Aircraft Association
(www.eaa.org). They are very on top of the issues of certifying experimental
and homebuilt aircraft...owner and non-owner built...paperwork
requirements...and more.

You might ping this group about what you bought...type of glider etc. You'll
get a slew of opinions on what to look out for and what you may need to do.

And, be sure to visit the homebuilt glider website:
www.sailplanehomebuilders.com

--Bob

Old June 15th 04, 01:19 AM
BTIZ

you may have bought an assemblage of parts.. that will never receive an
airworthiness certificate..
no data on the builder.. or process used in building.. no data plate.. no
previous n-number on it..

good luck... I think we all look forward to this out come..

BT

Old June 15th 04, 03:14 AM
Ian Cant

Depends on whether it was only just built, or whether
it has been previously registered and given an airworthiness
certificate. If just completed, you're probably out
of luck; if already FAA-inspected, you should be able
to find the previous owner's identity through the registration
database [by N-number] and work from there. Good luck,

Ian

At 00:42 15 June 2004, Btiz wrote:
you may have bought an assemblage of parts.. that will
never receive an
airworthiness certificate..
no data on the builder.. or process used in building..
no data plate.. no
previous n-number on it..

good luck... I think we all look forward to this out
come..

BT

.. .

Old June 15th 04, 04:47 AM
Steve Pawling

Last time I looked into a similar situation, I was told that I'd be
buying an expensive lawn ornament! Better check with a FSDO.
SP

Old June 15th 04, 06:22 AM
Jim Phoenix

I've heard worse stories, but yours may not be that bad - does it
currently have an experimental airworthiness certificate? If so, a
simple written bill of sale (or FAA Form 8050-1 - or is it 80580-2?
bill of sale) will get you started. You will need to register it, that
will be either the 8050-1 or -2 form, can't remember which, get it at
your local FSDO. If it does have a current experimental airworhtiness
certificate - and it's pre-1993, you're in luck. If not, you need to
get started with your local FSDO.

If it becomes more complicated, the FAA has recently designated what's
called AB-DAR's - guys (so far, no women yet) that are specifically
designated for issuing experimental certificates to experimental
aircraft (homebuilt or exhibition and racing - not for show compliance
or other types of specials).

Call your local EAA chapter or the EAA headquarters or your local
FSDO, since you've already bought it, you might as well get started.

Get educated. The more you know about the certification and
registration process, the easier it will be and the more the FAA will
like you; and believe me, you want them to like you when doing this
kind of thing. Read the applicable portions of the FAA Order 8130.2E,
available on-line he

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory...e?OpenFrameSet

Just type in 8130.2E and it will come up.

Read FAR 47, registration, don't fly it un-registered - that is bad,
believe me.

For additional questions, e-mail me at replace
nospam with comcast. It will help to know where you're at; for
instance, if you're in Memphis, Atlanta, Raleigh-Durham, Boston or
Seattle, I have friends in the FSDOs who owe me big time and I have
photos.

Good luck,

Jim

Old June 15th 04, 06:32 AM
Bob Kuykendall

Earlier, fred D wrote:

Bought a built experimental powered glider and All I have is a bill of
sale from an individual who is not the builder and does not know who
he was. No data plate, plans or other documentation with kit number.
Is there anyway to satisfy the FAA's chain of ownership requirements ?
It only needs a sprucing up and some minor repairs to be flyable.

Start with Jim Pratt's page:

http://www.provide.net/~pratt1/ambuilt/faqhmblt.htm

and also Ron Wanttaja's RAH page with FAQ:

http://www.wanttaja.com/avlinks/

In order to get a special airworthiness certificate to operate your
new toy as an amateur-built experimental, you'll need to demonstrate
that its construction conforms to good workmanship practices, and that
the major portion of it was built for entertainment and education.

If it turns out that you can't demonstrate the "major portion" bit,
you still stand a good chance of obtaining a special airworthiness
certificate to operate it as an experimental, racing or exhibition
aircraft, as all ASW-20s and Zunis in the US operate. I don't see many
of them languishing as lawn ornaments.

Either way, you need to find out which FAA FSDO handles your area, and
who at the FSDO handles experimental aircraft. Find that person and
talk to them. They'll probably have a packet of the usual paperwork
for you.

You'll need to get it inspected by someone at the FAA or, if they're
too busy, a DAR (designated airworthiness representative?)

Also, if you have any clue who sold the plans or the kit (if there was
one), do what you can to contact them. In at least some cases there is
someone with the original files and copies of the original kit bill of
sale.

The EAA has technical counselors and others who can offer advice; if
you're not an EAA member you proabably should be. Also, I can
recommend the Sailplane Homebuilders Association and also the HomeSail
forum on YahooGroups. There are many members who have been through the
process.

Thanks, and best regards to all

Bob K.
http://www.hpaircraft.com
Old June 15th 04, 03:01 PM
JJ Sinclair

First things first, does it have an *N* number? If so, it has been regestered
and you can trace its ownership. Next problem is the airworthiness certificate.
Got one of those? If so, you can resurrect its vitals through OakCity. I have
gone down this road a couple of times and found the folks at hedquarters, very
accommodating.
JJ Sinclair