Silver Distance

Old June 9th 04, 08:20 PM
Eric Greenwell

Graham Hodgson wrote:

What aircraft did you do your silver distance qualifying
50k flight in?

Ka-6e. And when I am about to land out, I always wish I was back in it!
It climbed so well in weak lift, landed slowly, and had powerful
terminal velocity dive brakes.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old June 9th 04, 08:25 PM
Robin Birch

In message , Graham Hodgson
writes
What aircraft did you do your silver distance qualifying
50k flight in?

Astir CS 77

Robin
--
Robin Birch
Old June 9th 04, 09:07 PM
tango4

Grob 102 Astir, same one as Vorsanger/Charles I'll hazard a guess.

If I remember correctly I got 'down' to 4000 ' AGL at about the midpoint and
wasn't sure I was going to make it. I think I took about 20 thermals to do
it too. I do remember the run back from the TP ( it was an out and return
totaling 100km )
I got under a cloud street and in spite of flying straight and flat out I
got back home higher than I had turned the TP. Took all of 20 minutes to
get back after nearly 2 hours to get out there.

Ian

"Graham Hodgson" wrote in
message ...

Old June 9th 04, 09:43 PM
Paul M. Cordell

1-26 in Washington State @ 15 years old.

Old June 9th 04, 10:00 PM
Alistair Wright

"Graham Hodgson" wrote in
message ...
What aircraft did you do your silver distance qualifying
50k flight in?

ASK 18. Dunstable to Husbands Bosworth. Up the M1 and turn right at Jct
19. Two thermals, 1hr 37mins. 13 years after getting the five hours. My
714th aerotow (too much instructing!!).

Alistair Wright

Old June 9th 04, 10:11 PM
Richard Brisbourne

Graham Hodgson wrote:

What aircraft did you do your silver distance qualifying
50k flight in?

I'm tempted to claim I've forgotten.

Actually it was a Skylark 2.

--
Soar the big sky
The real name on the left is richard
Old June 9th 04, 10:58 PM
Bryan

Schweizer1-26 from what was then Henderson Sky Harbor, NV, to Searchlight,
NV. I arrived with only 10,000 feet to spare. I'm a little bit
conservative.

"Graham Hodgson" wrote in
message ...

Old June 9th 04, 11:07 PM
Bill Daniels

"Graham Hodgson" wrote in
message ...
What aircraft did you do your silver distance qualifying
50k flight in?

Silver badge #565 flown in 1963 (I think)
SGS 1-26
5+ hours to fly 50km mostly below 1000 feet AGL.

Bill Daniels

Old June 9th 04, 11:18 PM
willie

Graham Hodgson wrote in message ...
What aircraft did you do your silver distance qualifying
50k flight in?

I did all three legs in a Schweizer 1-34.

John Cochrane wrote:

( Gold means "I've done a
really substantial cross country flight. I'm ready to go to a
contest." )

I really take don't think that earning a gold badge has anything to do
with contests.
Not everyone who is into Soaring is interested in contest flying.

I think a "Gold" badge means a pilot has improved his skills to the
point where he can
comfortably navigate across country, keep his ship in the air for an
extended duration
and can gain significant altitude above his release point.

By completing the FAI minimums to complete this badge the pilot can
wear this insignia
as a sign to others of his proficiancy, or as an award to himself for
having achieved this
significant milestone in his soaring career.
Old June 10th 04, 12:32 AM
f.blair

K-8 in Texas. Did the other two legs in the same aircraft, duration and
altitude gain with out the variometer working; loose connection to battery.

Fred Blair
"S.B." wrote in message ...
Graham Hodgson wrote:

What aircraft did you do your silver distance qualifying
50k flight in?

A K8 in Lincolnshire, England.