Silver Distance

Old June 10th 04, 08:58 PM
Herbert Kilian

"Larry Pardue" wrote in message ...

".SGS 1-26

Does anyone notice a trend here? In the United States the impact of the,
little respected, 1-26 has been huge. I think if one goes back through all
the US badges it can be found that it is the dominant US glider.

High performance sure does have its place but I have nothing but the best of
feelings for the 1-26. Fifty years and still going very strong.

Larry Pardue ex owner of 441
Carlsbad, NM

Larry,

I and obviously many of the people posting here feel the same way
about the Ka-8. Ours was an early production number with a steel-tube
built up canopy that only had flat plates of plexi to look through.
My 6'2" made it damned tight inside and I was barely able to turn my
head. Flew in '81 from Bisperode near the Pied Piper town of Hamelin
to the Harz mountains for Silver Distance. I understand the Ka-8 is
flying in Iceland now.

Herb, J7
Old June 11th 04, 04:31 AM
Henryk Birecki

Graham Hodgson wrote:

What aircraft did you do your silver distance qualifying
50k flight in?

SGS (Schweizer) 1-26

Henryk Birecki
Old June 11th 04, 01:56 PM
Hank Nixon

Graham Hodgson wrote in message ...
What aircraft did you do your silver distance qualifying
50k flight in?

Hank did in 1-26D #407
As observer, I won't sign Silver distance flown in Glass unless it
exceeds 100 km handicapped. Just my rule.
UH
Old June 11th 04, 02:00 PM
Ray Lovinggood

At 13:42 09 June 2004, Graham Hodgson wrote:
What aircraft did you do your silver distance qualifying
50k flight in?

LS-1d from Harnett County Airport to Ball Field, both
in eastern North Carolina, USA. Distance: about 90
kilometers. Aerotowed back. The cross-country aerotow
was my first long distance tow and it was more frightful
than the flight up. I should have left the landing
gear extended and popped the spoilers open. I ended
up with WAAAAAAY too much slack in the rope and pulled
the release. After the panic subsided, I was able
to find enough lift to get me the 30 or 35 kilometers
remaining to the home field.

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA

Old June 11th 04, 02:20 PM
Pete Reinhart

..1-26B #340
Winderdmere gliderport to Lampassas, Texas..
Finished at 8000' in the bottom of a boomer and didn't have enough sense to
keep going for gold distance.
Cheers!, Pete

Old June 11th 04, 02:52 PM
Jim Vincent

cross-country aerotow
was my first long distance tow and it was more frightful
than the flight up. I should have left the landing
gear extended and popped the spoilers open. I ended
up with WAAAAAAY too much slack in the rope and pulled
the release.

Yup, I too made that mistake on my 50k in a Pilatus B-4. The trick is to go to
low tow position. Does a much better job of keeping the slack out.

Jim Vincent
CFIG
N483SZ
illspam
Old June 11th 04, 05:48 PM
CV

Alistair Wright wrote:
"Graham Hodgson" wrote in
message ...

What aircraft did you do your silver distance qualifying
50k flight in?

ASK 18. Dunstable to Husbands Bosworth. Up the M1 and turn right at Jct

K18 here too !!! on may 21, 1988. Parham to Lasham. Had to be
towed some 10 km in the other direction first (Washington
roundabout) to make it 50k and nearly managed to land out
coming back from there, before setting off on the task.
Ended up getting the height gain and duration on the same
flight.
CV

Old June 11th 04, 07:07 PM
Sid Wood

Stan Hall Cherokee II, in southern Ontario, May 1981 (the good, old days)

Beautiful soaring conditions that spring. Did three 50K+ flights, plus
Silver height gain and duration over three consecutive weekends in the
Cherokee.

"Graham Hodgson" wrote in
message ...

Old June 11th 04, 09:56 PM
Nyal Williams

TG-3A, Ser. No. 88, N60434, from Advance, NC (Strawberry Hill) to
Salisbury, NC. 64 miles. 19 No trailer - had to be careful.
Aero-retrieve non-event.

Anyone know why Glider Pilot Net can't retrieve latest 50 or so
messages?

stephanevdv wrote in message .. .
In a Ka-8, in Belgium. No electronics (variometer, radio, gps) at all.
Flew to a goal 59 km away. Intended to take a photograph and fly back,
but landed on the goal airfield. It was a