Sport pilot - International?

Old August 20th 04, 08:17 PM
Rich S.

Default Sport pilot - International?

How is this (Sport pilot) going to work when you cross a border? I'm
thinking specifically of the U.S./Canada line, but also U.S./Mexico.

Currently (I'm told), when you re-enter the U.S. coming from Canada, the
U.S. Customs inspector asks you to show your medical certificate. If you are
flying under the upcoming Sport Aircraft provisions, will they (Customs)
allow you to proceed with a driver's license as proof of certification?

Rich "Please let me back in my own country" S.

Old August 20th 04, 09:13 PM
Drew Dalgleish

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 12:17:22 -0700, "Rich S."
wrote:

How is this (Sport pilot) going to work when you cross a border? I'm
thinking specifically of the U.S./Canada line, but also U.S./Mexico.

Currently (I'm told), when you re-enter the U.S. coming from Canada, the
U.S. Customs inspector asks you to show your medical certificate. If you are
flying under the upcoming Sport Aircraft provisions, will they (Customs)
allow you to proceed with a driver's license as proof of certification?

Rich "Please let me back in my own country" S.

I don't think you can fly in Canada on a sport pilot permit just as
Canadians can't fly in the states with a rec pilot permit. Hopefully
someday there will be an agreement to honour the different systems
Old August 20th 04, 09:36 PM
Rich S.

"Drew Dalgleish" wrote in message

I don't think you can fly in Canada on a sport pilot permit just as
Canadians can't fly in the states with a rec pilot permit. Hopefully
someday there will be an agreement to honour the different systems

hmmm..... Hadn't even considered that aspect.

Rich S.

Old August 21st 04, 12:53 AM
Richard Lamb

"Rich S." wrote:

How is this (Sport pilot) going to work when you cross a border? I'm
thinking specifically of the U.S./Canada line, but also U.S./Mexico.

Currently (I'm told), when you re-enter the U.S. coming from Canada, the
U.S. Customs inspector asks you to show your medical certificate. If you are
flying under the upcoming Sport Aircraft provisions, will they (Customs)
allow you to proceed with a driver's license as proof of certification?

Rich "Please let me back in my own country" S.

Show your shot record?
Old August 21st 04, 03:13 AM
Rich S.

"Richard Lamb" wrote in message
"Rich S." wrote:

How is this (Sport pilot) going to work when you cross a border? I'm
thinking specifically of the U.S./Canada line, but also U.S./Mexico.

Currently (I'm told), when you re-enter the U.S. coming from Canada, the
U.S. Customs inspector asks you to show your medical certificate. If you

are
flying under the upcoming Sport Aircraft provisions, will they (Customs)
allow you to proceed with a driver's license as proof of certification?

Rich "Please let me back in my own country" S.

Show your shot record?

Then there's that damn three week quarantine.

Rich S.

Old August 24th 04, 08:55 AM
Ron Wanttaja

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 13:36:40 -0700, "Rich S."
wrote:

"Drew Dalgleish" wrote in message

I don't think you can fly in Canada on a sport pilot permit just as
Canadians can't fly in the states with a rec pilot permit. Hopefully
someday there will be an agreement to honour the different systems

hmmm..... Hadn't even considered that aspect.

See the new 14CFR 61.315:
§61.315 What are the privileges and limits of my sport pilot certificate?
(-)
(c) You may not act as pilot in command of a light-sport aircraft:
(-)
(8) Outside the United States, unless you have prior authorization from
the country in which you seek to operate. Your sport pilot certificate
carries the limit "Holder does not meet ICAO requirements."

I'd expect this would also apply if one is exercising Sport Pilot
privileges using a Private certificate (e.g., without a valid 3rd class).

Ron Wanttaja

sport pilot humor Occom Home Built 0 April 9th 04 04:22 PM
Sport Pilot Leaves DOT for OMB, Latest News Fitzair4 Home Built 3 December 25th 03 02:49 AM
New Sport Pilot Aircraft Website Info Home Built 0 November 29th 03 10:25 AM
Sport Pilot Seminar & Fly-in Gilan Home Built 0 October 11th 03 05:21 AM