Updating FLARM F4/F5 without SD card slot

Old May 21st 19, 12:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Senna Van den Bosch

Default Updating FLARM F4/F5 without SD card slot

Hi, I have an older FLARM in my glider and found some issues last weekend while flying. I'd like to update the firmware but I can't find any detailed guide to follow.
So far I have found this guide:
https://support.flarm.com/hc/en-us/a...-SD-card-slot-
Only issue I have is how to connect it. I have a serial to USB cable but the next requirement is "A cable connecting the RS-232 adapter with the FLARM device"

Does that mean I need a console cable (rs-232 to rj45) as well?
If anyone has some more details on how to connect it, would be greatly appreciated!
Old May 21st 19, 02:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Robert Tatlow[_2_]

At 11:37 21 May 2019, Senna Van den Bosch wrote:
Hi, I have an older FLARM in my glider and found some issues last weekend
while flying. I'd like to update the firmware but I can't find any

detailed
guide to follow.
So far I have found this guide:
https://support.flarm.com/hc/en-us/a...5694-How-do-I-

update-the-Firmware-on-a-Classic-FLARM-without-an-SD-card-slot-
Only issue I have is how to connect it. I have a serial to USB cable but
the next requirement is "A cable connecting the RS-232 adapter with the
FLARM device"

Does that mean I need a console cable (rs-232 to rj45) as well?
If anyone has some more details on how to connect it, would be greatly
appreciated!

Look up flarm installation manual for F4/5, flarm without SD card, it gives
the
pinouts for rj45. The power uses the outside pins 1/2 and 7/8 check
polarity
and it give data in and out wired to Dsub to connect to USB to serial
interface
cable.
So you need to split the cable on the rj45 to access power and data.
I made my own from this manual. You can also buy ready-made cable unit at
some cost.

Old May 21st 19, 02:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Robert Tatlow[_2_]

At 11:37 21 May 2019, Senna Van den Bosch wrote:
Hi, I have an older FLARM in my glider and found some issues last weekend
while flying. I'd like to update the firmware but I can't find any

detailed
guide to follow.
So far I have found this guide:
https://support.flarm.com/hc/en-us/a...5694-How-do-I-

update-the-Firmware-on-a-Classic-FLARM-without-an-SD-card-slot-
Only issue I have is how to connect it. I have a serial to USB cable but
the next requirement is "A cable connecting the RS-232 adapter with the
FLARM device"

Does that mean I need a console cable (rs-232 to rj45) as well?
If anyone has some more details on how to connect it, would be greatly
appreciated!

Look up installation manual from Flarm.com for F4/5, flarm without SD
card.

It gives pinouts from RJ 45 and also data pinout to 9 pin Dsub.

So if you use a ready made 8 way cable with a RJ 45 connector each end, cut

one end off open up the cable and separate the individual wires. Use a
meter to
confirm pinouts of power and data from image in manual, power is 12 v, make

sure you have correct polarity, and wire the three wires used for data to 9
pin
Dsub.
Download the flarm tool listed on flarm.com website for updating without SD

card and install on laptop, windows, not apple!
Connect your homemade cable to USB serial adapter and power the flarm.
Choose serial port, may not be the one first offered(1) may be 3.
You may have to go into control panel, device manager, ports and alter
baud
rate. If you get correct port and baud rate you will notice it says connect
flarm.

Old May 21st 19, 03:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Senna Van den Bosch

Op dinsdag 21 mei 2019 16:00:05 UTC+2 schreef Robert Tatlow:
[...]

You've mentioned a ready-made cable, would you happen to know where it can be purchased?
Old May 21st 19, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Robert Tatlow[_2_]

At 14:24 21 May 2019, Senna Van den Bosch wrote:
[...]

Dickie Feakes at http://www.bas.uk.net/sale.html has them listed

Universal programming lead for Colibri, Swiss Flarm, LX Mini Box, Red Box
etc
with 12v power lead - £15.00

Universal lead as above but with 240v power unit £19.50

Old May 22nd 19, 11:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Senna Van den Bosch

Op dinsdag 21 mei 2019 17:45:05 UTC+2 schreef Robert Tatlow:
[...]

Just called him, will give it a try. Thank you!
Old May 22nd 19, 06:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

You've had some really excellent explanations of the procedure.
I just wish to draw your attention to the settings.
The Flarmtool software lets you set the Flarm's parameters and communication settings.
I usually find that my preferred settings are overwritten by default every time I update the firmware.

My preferences a
.. max permissible H range
.. max permissible V range
.. competition mode (less alarms)
.. 19200 com speed.
.. Position+traffic info active on external port (GPS+Flarm sentences) (if not, you won't be able to connect to external instruments and viewers)

Definitely worth checking. After the update has been completed, disconnect and then reconnect your Flarm, use Flarmtool, explore and adjust the settings. This will save you the time to troubleshoot all your connections and then redoing the Flarmtool procedure.

Aldo Cernezzi
www.voloavela.it