Nearest near-miss?

Old May 14th 19, 02:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Nearest near-miss?

20 years ago we had an "aircombat" school/experience based near us using Marchettis. I was in a thermal still a ways from cloud base when I heard a pair of engines unwinding and I saw the pair in a desending streak passing my cloud vertically.
Old May 14th 19, 03:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Friday, May 10, 2019 at 9:47:45 AM UTC-7, wrote:
The Transponder chatter on other threads got me to thinking about who’s got the closest near-miss? Thought I’d kick it off with my incident over 40 years ago. I was flying my homebuilt wooden sailplane over Mono Lake, Ca. Cursing south at 16000’ and 60 knots when I spotted a 4 engine jet below and to my left. Our flight paths were going to intersect, but he was a good 500 feet below me. Two seconds later it became crystal clear that it wasn’t a 4 engine jet, it was a 4 pod jet with 8 engines and the B-52 was climbing fast! Too late for me to maneuver,I’m doing 60 and he’s doing maybe 360, and I didn’t want to throw my belly to him. I just sat there thinking I had a front row seat to my demise! As he passed just under my nose, I could clearly see the copilot reading his checklist! I’m sure they never saw me, but I sure as hell saw them! I figured the wake turbulence was going to tear my little Duster to bits, so I tightened up my parachute straps. Nothing! Guess the turbulence all went below and behind him. How far can you see a man reading a book? I’ll lay claim at 50 Feet!
Let’s hear your story,
JJ

I heard tell of a pilot flying a MD520N off the end of the map and through a jump zone. He looked up from trying to fold maps and recover from unusual attitude, to see a chute above the disk, on either side of aircraft and in chin bubble. Flew right through the middle of a load of jumpers.
Old May 14th 19, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Friday, May 10, 2019 at 12:47:45 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Many moons ago, I was flying my light, unballasted Libelle out of Ridge Soaring, PA. The ridge wasn't super strong that day but strong enough to allow for good speed. Flying from Altona, PA back north-east towards Julian, I was just at the ridge level and coming up on Karl's field, when I spotted a glider's silhouette up ahead. It is hard to tell, if the glider is coming at you or going away from you. Anyways, I had the right wing on the ridge, so I had the right-of-way. The other guy wasn't budging, so I dove just a tad down when 'the glider' passed maybe 20 ft above. What I thought was a big glider far away was in reality a RC-glider close up! Passing by Karl's fire tower, I spotted a long RC-antenna sticking out of the window. Made all sense then and luckily, we didn't hit each other. A large model could do some serious damage.

Uli
'AS'
Old May 15th 19, 04:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
danlj

On Friday, May 10, 2019 at 11:47:45 AM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

About 5 years ago, I was gliding along at 5000 msl, in cruise to the south, near KRNH airport on a lovely sunny afternoon. A piston twin suddenly flashed past about a quarter mile in front of me at 5000. I'd just settled down from that excitement when another did the same thing. I did have a transponder, but it was in 'off' mode due to excessive power consumption and low battery.

I mentioned this to a pilot, during a flight physical, who was also a controller at ZMP. She said, "Oh, you were near AGUDE intersection -- we bring all the IFR traffic from the east into the MSP Class A across AGUDE."

That winter John DeRosa re-did my panel, including ADS-B, and he got the total power consumption under 1000mA (not including transmission). It is satisfying inflight, and I've now got battery power to spare.

DrDan Johnson
Old May 15th 19, 06:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

These anecdotes make me wonder. Has anyone ever installed ADS-B-out or TABS in gliders BEFORE having a near-collision? What were your reasons for taking the plunge?

I know that it is not uncommon to install transponders as a precaution before having a close call, but there seems to be more reluctance to install ADS-B-out and TABS even amongst people have ample disposable income. This is just my impression.
Old May 16th 19, 12:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

For a Standard category glider it was a big pain to install and get the
documentation correct and approved.Â* There's no provision for gliders in
the STC provided for the TN70.Â* It was also very expensive and the WAAS
GPS box is very large, nearly double the size of the TT22 remote box.Â*
Fortunately, there's plenty of room behind the Stemme's panel for the
hardware.Â* I haven't had a "close encounter" since installing a
transponder about 7 years ago.Â* The TN70 install was in Nov 2018, IIRC.

--
Dan, 5J
Old May 16th 19, 02:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Dan

Why are you raising STCs here? We've been over this many times. It does not matter there was no glider mention in the STC.

There was not *approval* for your install. Your A&P just submitted a 337 to the FAA following a simple set of instructions.

Again, for an ADS-B Out install in a type certified glider an STC is not be needed *as an STC* for to get approval for an install, it does not matter the STC does not cover a glider. It's only used to show that a particular pairing of an ADS-B Out GPS and Transponder have been previously approved.

You don't need or want an STC giving any more details for any install in a glider. What would that achieve? And no manufacturer is going to pay to develop one.

Forget ADS-B Out, there are no stupid STCs for any transponder install in any glider. Oh my God... how can we possibly have all those transponders installed without STCs?

If your A&P every says he/she needs an STC to install any avionics in a type certified glider run the **** away.

Old May 16th 19, 04:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Wednesday, May 15, 2019 at 7:49:31 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
For a Standard category glider it was a big pain to install and get the
documentation correct and approved.Â*

For me, the documentation was trivial. I made a logbook entry and got a PAPR https://adsbperformance.faa.gov/paprrequest.aspx (recommended but not required) The TT22 antenna got moved to a more optimal position further back in the fuselage, so I had got a fresh transponder compliance check (which was due anyways). My avionics tech looked over the installation that I did..

It was also very expensive

The TN72 including an interior mount antenna cost ~$400. I also bought a custom length antenna wire for the XPND for a few bucks. Craggy made the interconnect cable for me. I had a fun 5-6 hours doing the install. The transponder was installed by the previous owner.

WAAS GPS box is very large, nearly double the size of the XPND remote box.

The TN72 GPS box is smaller than the XPND remote box.Â*

Fortunately, there's plenty of room behind the Stemme's panel for the
hardware.Â*

No room left behind my panel, so I mounted a piece of plywood vertically behind my headrest on the turtle deck, and mounted the boxes to it. Provisions made to ensure air circulation. Space occupied is 2.5 inches front to back, 4" vertical, and full width of the turtle deck. Radio & vario speakers and a 'dashcam' are mounted to the same piece of plywood. I still have room on the turtledeck for a compression stuffsack of rain/cold/etc. gear, food, water for landouts.

I haven't had a "close encounter" since installing a
transponder about 7 years ago.Â*

As noted in my post above, one month after my install, I had one confirmed 'problem averted' with a GA airplane that could only 'see me' on their ADS-B-in screen. Better visibility to GA airplanes is the big win.

Old May 16th 19, 03:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

On Wednesday, May 15, 2019 at 10:17:51 AM UTC-7, son_of_flubber wrote:
These anecdotes make me wonder. Has anyone ever installed ADS-B-out or TABS in gliders BEFORE having a near-collision? What were your reasons for taking the plunge?

I know that it is not uncommon to install transponders as a precaution before having a close call, but there seems to be more reluctance to install ADS-B-out and TABS even amongst people have ample disposable income. This is just my impression.

I installed a Trig22 and TN72 as SIL=3 in an experimental ASW27b PRIOR to a close call (that I know of...) I want to give myself every advantage to see and be sen by other aircraft. I also have FLARM and a dedicated traffic display, and an AH if things should suddenly go white...